PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite O-Sensei quote?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Dan Gould
12-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Hiya guys, doubt you've seen me before, I've only posted a couple of times. Anyway, to the question at hand.

I'm wondering which quotes you guys find most profound, or most meaningful (different in my opinion), that Ueshiba came up with. The reason is, I'm a part of another message board, and I'm suddenly obsessed with aikido. I've already changed my avatar to a picture of him, now I want another picture and a quote or two by him (say, a quote above, a quote below, with a nice pic in the middle), for my sugnature.

But I haven't read up on him too much, so I'd like some opinions :)

Thanks, chaps and lasses. Appreciate it.

Dan

p00kiethebear
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
"One does not need buildings, money, power or status to practice the art of peace. Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train."

Dan Gould
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
I love that! :-D Thank you. Does anyone have a link to a site with any quotes? I'm sure I came across one a while back, but I can't remember where it was.

Thanks Nathan, that's definitely going in my sig :-)

Bronson
12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Instructors can impart only a fraction of the teaching. It is through your own devoted practice that the mysteries of the Art of Peace are brought to life.

Try here (http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/paloma/Aikido/artpeace.html) for more.

Bronson

Jonathan Thielen
12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Take a look at the book, The Art of Peace, translated and edited by John Stevens (Shambhala Publications, 2002). It is a book primarily made up of O-Sensei quotations (from his talks and writings). Great book.

tony cameron
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
"Rip away from your soul
The shabby rags it wears
Open the way to Heavens destiny
So let it shine!"

"Foster and polish
The warior spirit
While serving in the world;
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light."

"Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion."

ok, i was selfish and posted a few:) everything O Sensei said was borne of wisdom. it is evident that he never made small-talk.

here is some more...
http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/paloma/Aikido/artpeace.html

tony

tony cameron
12-07-2004, 02:41 PM
oh wait! i forgot my favorite Quote of all!!

"Move like a beam of light:
Fly like lightning,
Strike like thunder,
Whirl in circles around
A stable center."

(sorry, it seems i'm quote happy:) ok, back to work now)

tony

Dan Gould
12-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Hehe, thank you all :-) The actual sig is screenshot below. I migh change the quotes depending on my mood, but I wanted fairly short ones. Do url tags work in here?

My familyteen.net sig (http://members.fortunecity.com/ladderman/ghotisig.JPG)

Sue Hammerich
12-07-2004, 08:00 PM
My favorite quote is "There once was a man from Nantuckett..." oh, wait, that wasn't O'Sensei. I'm kidding, of course. Just wanted to thank Bronson for the link and Dan for setting this train in motion....

Clayton Drescher
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
"Except for blending with the void,
There is no way to understand
The Way of Aiki."
- Morihei Ueshiba
(Some encouragement from O'Sensei :-P)

Bronson
12-08-2004, 02:04 AM
it is evident that he never made small-talk.

Or it just never made it into a book.

Bronson

Dan Gould
12-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Grins Bronson :)

Thank you allo so much for your feedback, and Sue, I'm glad you appreciate the thread. I hope others can enjoy it as I do.

Sita Nanthavong
12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
"The real purpose of the martial arts must be to purge oneself of petty ambitions and desire, to obtain control of one’s own character."

- Morihei Ueshiba

siwilson
12-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall...

Oh, no, that wasn't him.

:freaky:

Charles Hill
12-10-2004, 08:18 PM
The link that Bronson posted contains the entire contents of the book, "The Art of Peace," not just selections as is noted on that site. This is a copyrighted book, and to put the whole thing on the net without permission robs the author`s family and the translator as well as the publisher. I have heard that Shambhala is basically a labor of love and doesn`t make much money. I hope that people who enjoy the link will support continuing efforts of those who produced the book by buying their own copy.

Charles Hill

Charles Hill
12-10-2004, 08:22 PM
"Where did I put my glasses? Oh here they are. Man, are they dirty! Anybody gotta tissue?"

-Morihei Ueshiba (taken from the oral tradition:))

batemanb
12-11-2004, 12:47 AM
The morning sun
fills my heart with joy
through my window I soar to heaven
bathed in divine radience

Not sure why, it`s been a few years since I read it, but it struck a chord with me then that has remained ever since.

Bryan

siwilson
12-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Ring a ring o' roses...

Er, no that wasn't him either!

Matt Molloy
12-11-2004, 03:41 AM
Ring a ring o' roses...

Er, no that wasn't him either!

"Touch me again and you'll be drawing back a stump."

Erm....no.... :freaky:

"Go ahead. Make my day."

Possibly from the Shodothug tradition? ;)

Cheers,

Matt.

siwilson
12-11-2004, 05:16 AM
"Touch me again and I'll Kill you!"

???

"Yippee KI Yay Mother F**ker!"

???

Well, they're both bald!

:D

bryce_montgomery
12-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Being in a state of bliss free from the self is the essential principle of the martial arts.
It is not established that the large will be victorious over the small; The small accumulates and becomes big, The big breaks down and becomes small.
-Morihei Ueshiba

bryce_montgomery
12-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Ooh...I almost forgot:
The ki of love is like the light from the sun; Left, right, above, below, in front, in back, you must envelop yourself in it.
-Morihei Ueshiba

Matt Molloy
12-11-2004, 10:44 AM
"Yippee KI Yay Mother F**ker!"

???

Well, they're both bald!

:D

Brilliant. :D

"To be or not to be?"

*sound of a swift Iriminage......THUD*

"Not to be."

Cheers,

Matt.

Johan Nielsen
12-11-2004, 04:57 PM
What about: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"

Johan Nielsen
12-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Or: "I want your clothes, your boots and your bike"

siwilson
12-11-2004, 05:00 PM
"Have you seen this boy?"

Troy
12-17-2004, 08:27 PM
"The Art of peace does not rely on weapons or brute force to succeed; instead we put ourselves in tune with the universe, maintain peace in our own realms, nurture life, and prevent death and distruction. The true meaning of the term 'Samurai' is one who serves and adheares to the power of love."

"Aikido is for thw entire world."

O- Sensei

bennettdjr
12-19-2004, 01:57 PM
"Do you REALLY want to make me angry? Think about"

Raecene
12-19-2004, 02:44 PM
"Enlightenment or delusion? Who is to say which person has which. Like the evening moon they appear and fade. Not one knows exactly when."