PDA

View Full Version : Aiki labels

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

anonymous
12-06-2004, 03:45 AM
Recently I've noticed a new trend on the boards. I've noticed that folks have come up with clever little titles for each of the major different styles of Aikido. Apparently we have ShodoThugs, Yoshingoons or Yoshiorcs, Aikielves and Aikifruities. Clearly, each of these is intended to denote a certain quality or aspect of the style, but I also believe that there is an implied connotation of superiority with these titles. So my question is simple: do we need them? In what way are they beneficial to Aikido? How do they represent what is good about the art?

Do we really need all the labels?

ruthmc
12-06-2004, 12:36 PM
I think it's just meant to be a bit of fun :)

They represent the fun side of the art, and the sense of humor that those of us who train in several styles tend to cultivate!

Ruth

Janet Rosen
12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm with Ruth as seeing/using them as playful gibes among friends who are happy to crosstrain among styles.

mj
12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
The Shodothugs were first, don't forget ;)

Must dash...have my superiority and judgemental classes tonight.

Yann Golanski
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Dear Anonymous,

Dude, you need to relax and enjoy a joke amongst friends. They are just jokes nothing more and nothing less. If you can't laught at yourself then you're in a world of darkness and pain.

BTW, does that make a shodo-thug-elf-fruity???...

PS: I'm saving the "What am I if I turn into a cottage at every full moon" joke for later.

tedehara
12-06-2004, 01:43 PM
They're just a bunch of nerdy D&D playing Aikidoists. Besides, they're quoting 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, when everyone knows the most recent edition is the D20 Version 3.5 rules.
:eek: eek!
I shouldn't have said that...

Forget I said that.
:sorry: sorry

Bronson
12-06-2004, 01:54 PM
If you can't laught at yourself then....

I'll laugh at you :) :p :D ;)

They're just jokes...they don't hurt...unless you let them :D

Bronson

suren
12-06-2004, 01:55 PM
I prefer games with a lot of characters and species, each with it's own attributes, strong and weak points. Variety just adds to the fun! Then you can try playing with elves, then orcs, then someone else.

Bronson
12-06-2004, 01:58 PM
OOOHHH. I've jus thought of a new one!! I don't know if it would apply to a whole style or just me: Aiki-Demigod :D

Bronson (I'm the mostest humble)

Chuck.Gordon
12-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Do we really need all the labels?

My friend, you take yourself and your chosen martial art WAY too Seriously.

Take a gander:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimbaker6/aa/askjim.htm

(a FAQ compiled by one of the VERY best aikidoka in America today. Period.)

(And yes, I've crossed hands with him and a thousand others, and Jim KNOWS stuff. Seriously.)

Chuck

Rocky Izumi
12-06-2004, 02:20 PM
They're just a bunch of nerdy D&D playing Aikidoists. Besides, they're quoting 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, when everyone knows the most recent edition is the D20 Version 3.5 rules.

Forget I said that.
Now that is funny!

Rock

xuzen
12-06-2004, 08:01 PM

Forget I said that.

Me,YoshiOrc, me have D&D for breakfast. Me throw dice better than any one here. Argghh!!! You wanna challenge me?

I hope Mr Anon would chill out a little, and enjoy da' ride.

The Author.

maikerus
12-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Apparently we have ShodoThugs, Yoshingoons or Yoshiorcs, Aikielves and Aikifruities. Clearly, each of these is intended to denote a certain quality or aspect of the style, but I also believe that there is an implied connotation of superiority with these titles.

Well, yeah. There is. :p

Funny how nothing has changed, eh?

--Michael (the modestest YoshiOrc you ever did see) :cool:

happysod
12-07-2004, 02:53 AM
I was wondering when the first backlash post would happen, sad that it was anonymous posting...

[serious mode]
If you'd actually read the posts leading to this bit of fun and nonsense, you may have actually seen some aikido forum-style in action.

Aiki-fruity was, initially, a rather derogatory term used by some posters to denigrate those they felt had lost the martial spirit. By embracing the title tongue in cheek, the Ki folk (myself amongst them) have nullified this.

In a similar way, my use of shodothug to describe our Tomiki brethren in aikido denotes a humorously respectful acknowledgment of both their competitive randori and positive contribution to aikido.

So, all in all, I cannot see your problem. If anyone attempted to use these ridiculous classifications seriously, all I can hope is they can withstand the resounding bellow of laughter this type of geeky hubris would bring.
[/end serious mode]

Yours the Ki dancing fool hisself

Zato Ichi
12-07-2004, 03:22 AM
As one of the major instigators of this aiki-labeling (first with the Shodothug pic and wallpaper, and then with the parody of D&D with the aikidoka class) as you call it, I have two words for you, anonymous:

LIGHTEN UP!!!! :D

With a few exceptions, it seems like everyone is taking the current threads as they are intended: just some good natured ribbing and kidding around. And I don't think there is any superiority in the current posts. Pride, maybe. Hell, I'm proud to do shodokan because, for me, it fits. But just because I do a certain style, it does not mean that I look down on others for doing different things... why would I? I'm perfectly happy to talk and practice aikido with any serious practitioner, no matter their affiliation (or lack thereof).

I think your preoccupation with labeling tells us more about you than it does about those participating in the threads.

rachel
12-07-2004, 10:12 AM
"What am I if I turn into a cottage at every full moon"
Are you a warehouse? ;) :D

L. Camejo
12-07-2004, 10:15 AM
I think it is very clear now that anonymous would like his/her group to be included in the naming scheme as well and is merely reacting to the pressures of feeling left out.

As such I hereby coin the the - Aiki-Anon-onion:):p

Folks like Boon can work out the attack points etc. But in this case it appears that someone is merely using the Anon forum to take some cheap shots without having to put their name next to them.

Which means that Chuck's algorithm that "anonymous" = "wanker" is probably correct.:)

Eat well, train hard, die anyway folks, at least try to have a laugh or 2 while you're at it.:D

Shodothug Out.
LC:ai::ki:

Yann Golanski
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Rachel, you got the answer and win a hundred shiho nage from me next time I come and visit ... TOKYO!!! OH no, that's just too far awat from York... *grins evilly*

Larry, you are a bad bad bad bad man. I like it. *more evilly grin*

happysod
12-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Are kyu grade shodothugs shodothuglets or do they still come under the generic heading of shodo-dinner?

Anons surely must be aiki-ninjas?

rachel
12-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Rachel, you got the answer and win a hundred shiho nage from me next time I come and visit ... TOKYO!!! OH no, that's just too far awat from York... *grins evilly*
Come on! You made the contest, you have to give the prize! But could we make it say.... sankyo? I've never been a huge fan of shihonage....

Besides, doesn't everyone need an excuse to visit Japan?

Bronson
12-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Are kyu grade shodothugs shodothuglets or do they still come under the generic heading of shodo-dinner?

I prefer proto-thug ;)

Bronson

Qatana
12-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Of course we have to give ourrselves names to fit our categories, don't we?

Ghost Wind, the Elf

Rocky, you can be Break Wind....

mj
12-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Come on! You made the contest, you have to give the prize! But could we make it say.... sankyo? I've never been a huge fan of shihonage....
The only difference between sankyo and shiho is the direction you are facing..surely?

Rocky Izumi
12-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Of course we have to give ourrselves names to fit our categories, don't we?

Ghost Wind, the Elf

Rocky, you can be Break Wind....

Aiki-Penitents don't have such illustrious names. We have given up such worldly things. (See General thread on Shodothugs, etc.)

Rock

Bronson
12-08-2004, 03:33 AM
I think I remember reading in one of the creature books that Aiki-penitents actually have something like 43 separate words for fart, each describing some special characteristic of said fart.

Bronson

Yann Golanski
12-08-2004, 04:02 AM
Rachel,

I promise when I am in Japan I will come and visit. And it's definitely shihonage: It is my all time favourite technique! Incredibly difficult to pull in randori but OH SO nice when you manage to get it right.

However, after last night's training I better sharpen up on kotegeashi.... Got slamed into the matt by two of them and there was nothing I could do about it. Very good Aikido from tori there.

happysod
12-08-2004, 04:55 AM
OK, I'm losing track of the tribes out there, anything to add/amend on this list? Format is adult (black belt) tribe member then child (kyu) member of the tribe

shodothug + shodocub
aiki-fruity + aiki-kitten
aiki-penetent + aiki-slightly chaffed
yoshinkorc + yoshinklet
aiki-elf + aiki-seedling
aiki-pixie + aiki-pix'aint

Yann Golanski
12-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Ian...

As soon as you start down the path of Shodokan forever your life it will dominate... Hence even Kyu ranks are shodothugs.

Oh god, I've made a Star War reference... now it is all over...

*FLEES FOR HIS LIFE*

happysod
12-08-2004, 05:49 AM
Nah, I've met some, they're still cute and fuzzy at that stage (OK, the brown belts need strong discipline to stop them racing all over the mat, but a firm voice and an upraised hand normally helps)

rachel
12-08-2004, 11:05 AM
I promise when I am in Japan I will come and visit.

Well, if you promise I guess it's okay... ;)

The only difference between sankyo and shiho is the direction you are facing..surely?

Well, that's one way of looking at it. I had a shoulder injury in 1999, so I just haven't been a huge fan of shihonage since. You know, that feeling when someone doesn't do it perfectly and your shoulder gets torqued? Gotta love it... :)