PDA

View Full Version : Onegaishimasu!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

DevinHammer
12-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Hello,
My name is Devin and I'm an aikiholic.
Greetings to all as I welcome myself to AikiWeb. Addicted for nearly four years now, I train in Santa Cruz, California. North Bay Aikido (http://www.northbayaikido.org) is a relatively large, primarily Aikikai-style dojo. I also enjoy visiting other dojos of both Aikikai and Iwama styles. I'm hoping to share insights, opinions, advice and anecdotes. Feel free to visit my personal website (http://ddhammer.home.comcast.net/).
I'm also into photography, and play drums, guitar and musical saw.

See you on the (virtual) mat!

akiy
12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi Devin,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction! I've visited your dojo a number of times and have always enjoyed my visits.

-- Jun

Janet Rosen
12-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Welcome, Devin, and say hello to Tarik!
janet

Charles Hill
12-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi Devin,

There is a great movie that covers three of your interests. It is called Samurai Fiction and is a Japanese chanbara movie. The martial arts are really good and the villian is played by Hotei Tomoyasu who is an awesome rock`n roll/rockabilly guitarist who also did the soundtrack, lots of great guitar playing. Also there is a scene where a character plays Swanee River on the saw!

Charles Hill

DevinHammer
12-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I saw a little bit of that movie - at the Big Sur Weapons Retreat in September someone put it on after dinner, but I had to go back to my cabin to do some stuff. I'll have to track it down sometime and watch it all.

Sue Hammerich
12-03-2004, 10:36 PM
HEY!!!!! Sounds like you have a fantastic dojo. I'm on the Central Coast, about an hour and some change from San Luis Obispo...and an hour from where I am learing to become part of Aikido. Here's the thing...I, being awake, suffering from a muscle spasm, and curious, did, in fact, check out your website. You are right aobut your links. Quite an eclectic collection; an example of yin and yang; diverse and showing an interesting dichotomy. And, unlike this posting, grammatically correct. . But I am writing to you because I think the Blue Devils rock! I saw them as a kid back in the early 80's because I knew some people involved with the organization. Then, later, I worked for UPS and occasionally went to the Concord building....and whom did I see? The Blue Devils practicing!!!
RIGHT ON DH 2

DevinHammer
12-04-2004, 05:34 PM
...But I am writing to you because I think the Blue Devils rock! I saw them as a kid back in the early 80's because I knew some people involved with the organization. Then, later, I worked for UPS and occasionally went to the Concord building....and whom did I see? The Blue Devils practicing!!!
RIGHT ON DH 2

Thanks Sue, kind of a small world I guess. I was with BD 1978-80, and Drum Corps was the biggest part of my life for about 15 years. I still stay connected, but haven't been actively involved for a while. Aikido has filled that void very nicely. Being with them I suppose also says something about my training ethic.