PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

Bertilo Wennergren
12-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi!

I'm a Swede living in Korea and Germany. I used to do a lot of Aikido some twenty years ago (Aikikai and Iwama), and again for a while four years ago (that stopped when I moved to Germany). Now I'm aking to go back into a dojo and get active again. I'm planning to do that here in Seoul, but not until next year. I'm a bit older now, and I've got some knee problems etc., so I have to prepare myself a bit before actually stepping up on the tatami. In the meantime I read a lot about Aikido on the web.

It's a strange feeling that quite a few of the people I used to train with (and in some cases even teach :freaky: ) back then, are up to around 5th dan (or more!) now. That was impossible to imagine in the seventies and eighties. I'm still oficially at third kyu :sorry: but then we didn't do much grading at all twenty years ago in Sweden.

JJF
12-02-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi Bertilo

You are aking to go back you say? that's nothing compared to how much you will be aking after you return ;)

Best of luck to you though. I went back after a break that was 'only' 3½ years and I am SO happy I did. I feel kind of old too and my knee is acting up a bit, but I love it anyway and hope nothing will keep me from my practice for many years to come.

Have fun!

leefr
12-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Hello, Bertilo!

Check out www.angelfire.com/mac/aikido/ for Rupert Atkinson sensei's guide to aikido in Korea, and an interesting view on aikido in general.

Also, the webpage for the Korean Aikikai is www.aikido.co.kr

Best of luck with the recovery!

Bertilo Wennergren
12-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Jørgen Jakob Friis:

> that's nothing compared to how much you will be aking after you return

Oh, I know. I did return four years ago. It was hell in the beginning, although I made sure only to train with the absolute beginners for a few weeks. So that's why I'm working out at a small gym now several days a week to get prepared. I actually train seiza every day. I can do it for ten minutes now.

Frederick Lee:

> Check out www.angelfire.com/mac/aikido/ for Rupert Atkinson sensei's guide to aikido in
> Korea, and an interesting view on aikido in general.

> Also, the webpage for the Korean Aikikai is www.aikido.co.kr

Thanks for the tips. I've read those pages, and I've already checked out the main dojo in Seoul. Nice place. I'll go back there next year.

ian
12-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Good to see you getting back into it Bertilo. One thing I've found useful about extended gaps (though 20 yrs is a long time!) you realise what you have internalised within your body, and what was just in your head.

Good luck

MaryKaye
12-02-2004, 08:27 AM
One of my teachers trained a couple of years, took 20 years off to have kids, then came back. He earned his shodan in October. He said he was surprised how much he remembered, but had to deal with being able to remember doing things his body wouldn't do anymore....

He chose to concentrate on having excellent balance and calmness, and his aikido is quite formidable. Whenever I comment on this, he says "Well, I have two daughters...." You probably learned some things during the years you were off the mat; you'll just have to explore to find out what they are.

Mary Kaye

Bertilo Wennergren
03-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Hi again!

Back in November I wrote:

Now I'm aking to go back into a dojo and get active again. I'm planning to do that here in Seoul, but not until next year.

In case someone was wondering, yesterday I did take the plunge. I went to the Seoul dojo, got a new gi, payed the training fee, and started training. Youn Sensei himself taught that class, and I was very impressed. I had a wonderful first class, and I felt I could handle myself quite well. The best part was of course that I did not fall to pieces, but lived to tell the story. Lots of muscles hurt today, but it's not that bad. I'll go back again the day after tomorrow. Maybe I'll start an AikiBlog about it, or maybe not...

Bye!

gregstec
03-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Congratulations on your return - I returned to Aikido a little over a year ago after a 28 year break. Best thing I ever did! The important thing to remember is that your body just does not respond the way it did when you were younger, so take it easy for a while and do not feel bad that you cannot do some of things that you did before - for example, suwari waza (my knees are bad as well)

As far as rank is concerned, put it out of your mind and just focus on your Aikido. Like you, I have an old Sankyu rank form the 70s and there are many senior Yudansha today that were not even training in Aikido when I first started. However, this means absolutely nothing - just train hard and develop your own Aikido. After 14 months, I still do not have any current rank (moved around from dojo to dojo) and I have no problems training with anyone regardless of their rank. At a recent seminar with Saotome sensei, he said rank is not important, it is the amount of aikido that you have in your mind and heart that makes the difference. (paraphrase)

Anyway, just relax and enjoy your journey.

Greg Steckel

Bertilo Wennergren
03-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Greg Steckel wrote:

I returned to Aikido a little over a year ago after a 28 year break.

Wow! That's really a long time.

As far as rank is concerned, put it out of your mind and just focus on your Aikido.

Good advice. I believe you're absolutely right. Thank's for your comment!