PDA

View Full Version : Good Literature For Beginners

Please visit our sponsor:

dominicmulholland
11-27-2004, 09:00 AM
I was wandering if anyone could give advise on what books a beginner/novice should get for help with any aspect of Aikido.

Any help/advice would be greatly received.

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
11-27-2004, 01:39 PM
I highly recommend "It's a Lot Like Dancing..." by Terry Dobson. It's a fascinating recounting of his studies with O-Sensei and other aikido experiences. The format is a short story on one side of the page, and a black and white photograph on the other. It's really a remarkable book, both as an aikido book and simply as a work of literature.

Bradence
11-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi Dominic,

I found that Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere by O. Ratti and A. Westbrook was very helpful to me. I'm sure that it hasn't helped everybody and it seems as if there is no book that is the "gospel" for aikido. However, I found it very useful because of the well-drawn pictures and extensive explanations for the techniques. It works as a great companion to proper instruction, although I have seen a few debates on the spiritual aspect of the book. I am nowhere near experienced to comment meaningfully on that aspect, but I can say that as a beginner it helped me a great deal to figure out what my sensei was doing on the mat.

Brad(ence)

Marc Kupper
11-27-2004, 07:47 PM
I was wandering if anyone could give advise on what books a beginner/novice should get for help with any aspect of Aikido.Take a look at the books listed in aikiweb's beginner''s section - www.aikiweb.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=2

My personal favorites are all in the AIkido essays category - www.aikiweb.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=37. They are good for beginner's as they don't get into one style of aikido or another.

Marc

Don_Modesto
11-27-2004, 09:40 PM
I recently compiled an unapologetically biased bibliography for my students. It's here, hope it's of interest:

http://aikidojournal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6405

Charles Hill
11-28-2004, 12:49 AM
In contrast to Don:), I recommend anything by John Stevens.

Charles Hill

Larry Feldman
11-28-2004, 10:45 AM
The Spirit of Aikido is good to start with.
Kodo - is good and talks about training.
The Dobson book is 'verbal Aikido'
Ki in everyday life by Tohei for an intro. to Ki

Use books for philosophy and history, stay away from 'instructional books' for awhile.

Bronson
11-28-2004, 04:47 PM
My personal favorites are all in the AIkido essays category. They are good for beginner's as they don't get into one style of aikido or another.

If you are going to get books as a beginner I'd agree with this. Technique books can be confusing if the pictured techniques are not the same as what you are seeing in the dojo.

Some of my favs are:

Beyond the Known and Toward the Unknown by Tri Thong Dang
Mastery by George Leonard
Sword and Brush by Dave Lowry
Moving Toward Stillness by Dave Lowry
Autumn Lightning and Persimmon Wind by Dave Lowry
The Art of Peace translated by John Stevens
Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training by C.M. Shifflett
Moving Zen by C.W. Nicol

Normally I recommend waiting on books but most people ask for books with techniques in them, which I think can be too confusing in the beginning.

Bronson