PDA

View Full Version : A feature that would be really useful

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

crystalwizard
04-01-2001, 05:02 AM
The ability to subscribe to forums you've posted on and get an annoucement that a new message has been posted is a nice one. It would be even more useful if you could just simply subscribe to be notified when a new post on any forum was made. or if you could subscribe to a specific forum you'd like to read the posts on but dont want to have to post on in order to get the annoucement.

For me, loading even the list of forums takes quite a while and while it's loading i can't use any copis of the browser. so I pretty much can't do more than look at the home page to see what the top 5 active threads are. That means that if there was a thread I was reading and it happened to be replaced and I can't remember exactly what it was, I pretty much can't ever find it again.

Any possibilty of adding more subscription options to the forums Jun?

Nick
04-01-2001, 06:45 AM
Looks like Jun's already beaten you to it-- there's an option at the very end of the "Edit Profile" that says "Use 'Email Notification' by default", turning it on will automatically give you an email that says the thread has been replied to.

Nick

crystalwizard
04-01-2001, 06:48 AM
Nick wrote:
Looks like Jun's already beaten you to it-- there's an option at the very end of the "Edit Profile" that says "Use 'Email Notification' by default", turning it on will automatically give you an email that says the thread has been replied to.

Nick

which is not what I want. like I said,that's nice. but I'd also like the ability to just subscribe to the whole forum database so that when ever any new post is made, I get a notification
AND
a seperate ability to subscribe to specific forums I'd like to be notified when new posts are placed on them WITHOUT having to actualy post on it...for forums i'm reading, but for whatever reason, dont feel like posting on.

akiy
04-01-2001, 12:26 PM
The next version of the software should pretty much cover the bases which Kelly mentioned. I'm hoping to put it online when it comes out, although that may entail needing to take the Forums down for a bit -- hopefully just a day or so...

-- Jun

crystalwizard
04-01-2001, 02:11 PM
akiy wrote:
The next version of the software should pretty much cover the bases which Kelly mentioned. I'm hoping to put it online when it comes out, although that may entail needing to take the Forums down for a bit -- hopefully just a day or so...

-- Jun

oh very cool. A couple other questions then.
Any idea when the next version is expected out?
And any hints as to what other features it'll provide?

Jim23
04-01-2001, 02:33 PM
This "should" work although it is a cumbersome way to receive notifications.

Bookmark each relevant page (ie. "General" or "Chit Chat"), then subscribe to those main pages. Set your preferences for you to receive email notifications whenever those pages change - you'll also have to specify how often you want them checked. Your email notifications will take you to those pages, then you'll have to dig deeper to the actual posts.

Like I said, it should work, but is it worth the hassle?

Jim23