PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the UAE

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

abown
11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi

I'm an English Language teacher working in Ras Al Khaimah, in the UAE. I'm still a relative novice in the martial arts. I'm a student of Taekwondo, in which I hold a 1st Dan, and have also studied Jiu Jitsu for three years and Karate for 2 years, along with a year of Chow Gar Kung Fu.

I have never studied Aikido but have started looking for a club, as I feel it would complement the Taekwondo well.

I'm looking forward to benefiting from your collective wisdom, and also adding to discussions myself.

Cheers

Andy

Solarius
11-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Greetings, Andy.

One thing you will notice in Aikido - the lack of footwork. You hold your center steady with your legs, but kick are a rarity. But everyone experiences Aikido differently and I hope you will find something you like in here. Welcome to the club :D

akiy
11-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Andy,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction!

As for kicks, my teacher's teacher (as well as my teacher) sometimes incorporates them (as well as sweeps and such) into his techniques...

-- Jun

aikidoc
11-17-2004, 12:48 PM
"One thing you will notice in Aikido - the lack of footwork." I disagree. If anything the footwork is more complex and subtle. It is the key to the center.

Solarius
11-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I disagree. If anything the footwork is more complex and subtle. It is the key to the center.

Yes. But I was referring to kicks.