PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

mindofthewind
11-15-2004, 10:49 PM
I have recently moved to Okinawa, and I am having a difficult time trying to train. I have not been able to find any dojos in my area. I live near Kadena Airforce Base. Any information would be very helpfull. Thank You!

p00kiethebear
11-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Hmmm...

I would look around for information regarding Roy Suenaka sensei. The first student of o sensei to bring aikido to okinawa.

Does anyone know if he still teaches there?

Greg Jennings
11-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Nathan,

Contact "Mike Callender" who lurks here. Mike is at WPAFB these days, but his teacher is the head of the Okinawaian Aikikai.

Best,

darin
11-16-2004, 08:42 AM
They got a great Budokan in Naha. Think its on the way out of the city towards the airport. I did observe an aikido class there.

Greg Jennings
11-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Hmmm...

I would look around for information regarding Roy Suenaka sensei. The first student of o sensei to bring aikido to okinawa.

Does anyone know if he still teaches there?
Nathan,
Suenaka Sensei has been in Charleston, SC for years.

If the original poster doesn't hear from Mike Callender (I pinged him for you), contact Veltri Sensei here:
www.oki-aikikai.com/
and he'll put you into contact with someone in Okinawa.

FWIW,

mindofthewind
11-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Thank you. I think this will be very helpfull.

MikeCallender
11-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Nathan
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Please contact Ken Klunder. He works at the Camp Shield's gym. He has a class at the gym and he can get you involved with the Okinawa Aikikai. Yamaguchi Iwao is the sensei. As I recall, classes are Thursday and Saturday (1830-2000) at the Budokan in Naha and Wednesday and Friday (1900-2100) at a Middle School not too far from Kadena Air Base. Good luck. Let me know if you have any problems, I will try to get a phone number or directions to the Middle School. Please tell Ken I say Hi. You will enjoy working out with those folks.

Train Hard
Mike Callender

mindofthewind
11-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Mike I am in your debt. Thank you.

Gallu
11-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Nathan,
Are you stationed at kadena?
I spent 4 years there and would love to come back.
I miss CoCo's curry house like you wouldn't believe.
When ever you start your training, drop me a line and let me know where the Dojo is. Kadena is on the top of my dream sheet and I would like to continue my training if I am able to get back there.

If you are into diving, check out Mida point. If you are not yet certified, Do it while you are there. Okinawa is one of the top diving sites in the world. Key west florida has nothing on the diving in ryuku island chains.

Anyway take care and enjoy the island.
Sean