PDA

View Full Version : To All Aikidoist

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Joshua Laurente
11-02-2004, 10:45 PM
HI,
I'm Joshua Laurente from Philippines. i just want to know why there is no Aikido master or Aikido practitioner in UFC?
I'm just asking. can you share your opinion why?

xuzen
11-02-2004, 11:15 PM
HI,
I'm Joshua Laurente from Philippines. i just want to know why there is no Aikido master or Aikido practitioner in UFC?
I'm just asking. can you share your opinion why?

Hi, Josh,

To answer your question:- because aikidokas are generally made up of "normal" people who have bills to pay, morgage to attend to, kids whom they have to send to schools, a 9 to 5 jobs, tax paying, law abiding citizen.... etc etc bla bla bla....

so we don't have time to train for UFC or ABC whatever bla bla bla...

Sorry to dissapoint you we; don't do UFC. :rolleyes:

Boon.

JessePasley
11-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Many reasons, I'll give a few:

1) Aikido doesn't really emphasize what's needed to compete in cage matches.

2) Aikido is a non-professional, mostly non-competitive endevour. UFC is strictly professional, and highly competitive. Apples and oranges?

3) It's not only Aikido....many styles are not represented in UFC. Very few 'pure style' fighters are any good.

paw
11-03-2004, 05:29 AM
It's not only Aikido....many styles are not represented in UFC. Very few 'pure style' fighters are any good.

There are no pure stylists in the UFC or any other mixed martial art competition, and there haven't been for several years.

Regards,

Paul

Devin McDowell
11-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Most aikido tends to discourage competition.

JMCavazos
11-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Another thing, most aikido techniques are not allowed in UFC competitions;; i.e. small joint locks, etc...

mj
11-03-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm allergic to Lycra.

paw
11-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Another thing, most aikido techniques are not allowed in UFC competitions;; i.e. small joint locks, etc...

Rubbish (http://www.ufc.tv/learnUFC/rulesUfc.asp) This has been clearly stated several times in interviews with UFC officials.

"small joint locks" = wrist locks, arm/shoulder manipulation... ie ikkyo, sankyo, nikkyo, etc....and ARE allowed.

"small joint manipulation" = breaking an individual finger or toe, and no, that is not allowed.

Regards,

Paul

paw
11-03-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm allergic to Lycra.

No need to wear lycra. Current fashion in the UFC are "board shorts".

Regards,

Paul

MikeE
11-03-2004, 11:29 AM
UFC has rules. Aikido doesn't. When attacked an Aikidoka will almost certainly embrace their Budo heritage and do what is necessary to survive. IMHO.

paw
11-03-2004, 01:04 PM
UFC has rules. Aikido doesn't. When attacked an Aikidoka will almost certainly embrace their Budo heritage and do what is necessary to survive. IMHO.

Aikido, as trained in most places, has "rules" that dictate how people behave and if such behavior is appropriate during training. For example, I've not been to an aikido dojo where it would be acceptable to deliberately break someone's arm after they have tapped.

Assuming that an aikidoist can determine when they should apply training constraints and when they shouldn't is an assumption...and even if true, there's no reason to assume a UFC competitor couldn't do the same.

Regards,

Paul

Bronson
11-03-2004, 01:46 PM
We're afraid :D

Bronson

kklipsch
11-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Rule #29 from Mr. Watt's post

"Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury. "

Have you seen those guys, their huge, I am definitly going to avoid contact with them...

Don_Modesto
11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
We're afraid :D

Ooh!

What you said!

xuzen
11-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Have you seen those guys, their huge, I am definitly going to avoid contact with them...

I'm sorry... I do not have any professional training.
- William Hung of American idol infamy

Boon.

Dan Gould
11-04-2004, 04:42 AM
I'd think aikido was more (cliche alert) self defence and spiritual and personal development, etc, whereas tae kwon do and karate and that kind of thing is known for it's tournament applications. Stuff like jujitsu is enough for the grapply side of it, anyway.

Although, gotta laugh, I bought a CD with aikido stuff on it the other day. One of the files was "Royce Gracie Aikido." Speaking of aikido and the UFC :-)

So yeah to summarise, I'd say the difference is the purpose of the art, I guess.

Martin Ruedas
11-04-2004, 07:07 AM
Aikidokas do not join competitions simply because aikidokas are taught to use their techniques when it really matters.

PeterR
11-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Aikidokas do not join competitions simply because aikidokas are taught to use their techniques when it really matters.
Bullocks.

paw
11-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Although, gotta laugh, I bought a CD with aikido stuff on it the other day. One of the files was "Royce Gracie Aikido." Speaking of aikido and the UFC :-)

Royce has not trained aikido, nor has he fought in the UFC since UFC 5 (the next UFC is UFC 51).

To the best of my knowledge, he has a friend who is a black belt (or higher) in hapkido who might have helped him prepare for some of his fights. My guess is your CD has some of that footage.

Regards,

Paul

Roban
11-05-2004, 10:16 AM
LOL, I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I Googled UFC - yeuk! That is just not my "cup of tea" and certainly not my idea of something that would sit well with the concept of AIkido. JUst my tuppenceworth.

Rob

Qatana
11-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Bullocks.

Young Male Bovines?

Hagen Seibert
11-05-2004, 02:04 PM
We´re too enlightend to engage in competitions like that.

JessePasley
11-06-2004, 02:07 AM
We´re too enlightend to engage in competitions like that.

I pray you're being sarcastic.

Matt Molloy
11-06-2004, 05:01 AM
Young Male Bovines?

Close. ;)

Is this the point that we should perhaps cross reference this thread with the Shodothug one?

Cheers,

Matt.

Kevin Leavitt
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I am currently training with MMA style. Here is my take on it.

The principles that I learned in aikido are the same. No difference whatsoever between what I learned in aikido and what I learned in MMA. It is EXACTLY the same.

But, what I do in NHB situation looks like all the other guys you see in UFC stuff. Why is that?

Because Aikido as practice is a PRINCIPLE based study where we work on learning PRINCIPLES of dynamic movement through COOPERATION between nage and uke.

MMA and UFC is a COMPETITION based on the TACTICAL application of PRINCIPLE.

If you got a guy who had a strong aikido background that was competent in the art of Aikido, he would probably be embarrassed to call what he did in the ring Aikido and would say it was MMA.

My aikido training has by far been the best thing I have done to prepare me for MMA fighting. However I am very careful not to call what I do in a competition aikido.

JasonFDeLucia
11-07-2004, 06:12 PM
I am currently training with MMA style. Here is my take on it.

The principles that I learned in aikido are the same. No difference whatsoever between what I learned in aikido and what I learned in MMA. It is EXACTLY the same.

But, what I do in NHB situation looks like all the other guys you see in UFC stuff. Why is that?

Because Aikido as practice is a PRINCIPLE based study where we work on learning PRINCIPLES of dynamic movement through COOPERATION between nage and uke.

MMA and UFC is a COMPETITION based on the TACTICAL application of PRINCIPLE.

If you got a guy who had a strong aikido background that was competent in the art of Aikido, he would probably be embarrassed to call what he did in the ring Aikido and would say it was MMA.

My aikido training has by far been the best thing I have done to prepare me for MMA fighting. However I am very careful not to call what I do in a competition aikido.

i am in agreement even to the point that at one time i was not happy that i could not bring the unadulterated form to light .but then realized as you have said ,the principle drives the out come not the technique .but definately you learn the principle through the techniques.!