PDA

View Full Version : Ki excercises?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

nmrmak
10-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Hey all!
I've been training for about two months now, and I'd really like to get to know the ki part to aikido. Could you share some ki excercises with me, or links to where i may find them?

SeiserL
10-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Work on proper form and alignment.
Visualize energy coming from your center and extending past your technqiue.
Calm the mind.
Blend with the momentum of the Uke.
relax, breath, and enjoy yourself.

And of course,
Relax completely
Weight on the underside.
Focus on the one-point, center.
Extend Ki.

IMHO, it comes through training. It is like you "let" Ki, you can't "make" it.

nmrmak
10-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I agree that everything comes through training, it's just that i've read many cases where people trained only the physical part of aikido, and later had trouble expanding their spiritual and mental sides. I would truly like to experiment with ki, as i find it as interesting, if not even more interesting than the actual techniques. I'd like to be able to use ki in a technique.

MaryKaye
10-28-2004, 09:44 AM
We've been doing a partner exercise sensei calls "ki waterfall". If you stand behind uke and pull down on her shoulders with both hands you can make her fall backwards, but there is a lot of resistance. (Gently--the ukemi can be surprisingly unpleasant for a simple back fall.) The "ki waterfall" involves brushing your hands down uke's back very lightly, then on the third or fourth brush contacting slightly more firmly and pulling them down. The objective is to touch in a way that causes their mind to move, so that the physical resistance is reduced. The difference between doing it well and doing it badly is clear; and the principle translates to techniques (we're working on nikyo a lot lately) fairly straightforwardly.

If your dojo does kokyu dosa/kokyu ho, there are ki-centered ways of doing it which are very instructive. Also ki-centered ways of resisting it. Try to find an effective kokyu dosa that doesn't require speed or force.

Mary Kaye

akiy
10-28-2004, 10:19 AM
The following book, "Ki in Aikido," presents a lot of exercises done by the Ki Society:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/roundearth/kiinaiksamof.html

-- Jun

kironin
10-28-2004, 10:37 AM
as long as you have shockwave and quicktime plugins to your browser,
you could have a lot of educational fun exploring this website

http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/

:)

Dan Gould
10-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Search on google for "Ki manual".Good site with a fair few exercises. I've managed to make myself a ki ball about three feet wide from doing them. I still can't extend ki during training, but it comforts me knowing that it's there, yknow?

I can also feel it when I hold both arms in front of me, inhale and bring them up at above head level, to the shoulders, then exhale and slowly push your arms back to where they were. Very simple exercise, but with the breathing, I find it very relaxing, and you can feel energy coming through after a while :-)

Bronson
10-30-2004, 12:39 AM
ki ball

Mmmm, good with crackers ;)

Bronson

nmrmak
10-30-2004, 05:54 AM
Thank you all for your responses! If you have any more advice for me, i'd appreciate it.

Dan Gould
11-01-2004, 05:38 PM
lol Bronson. Goes down well with most things :-)

Nobojsa, at the end of the day you just gotta remember that it'll take time, and don't give up :-) I'm impatient myself, lol, but still, something to work toward.

bkedelen
11-01-2004, 06:12 PM
I am still waiting for my ki ball to descend. I will post measurements soon thereafter.

Larry Feldman
11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
The best place to get Ki exercises is from a Ki Society dojo.
The exercises are definately one of the underappreciated contributions Tohei has made to Aikido.

You should also look into a book by C.M.Shifflet called
Ki in Aikido - A Sampler of Ki Exercises

Shane Mokry
11-02-2004, 12:53 AM
I believe the idea of ki is way of mentally setting up your body to properly execute Aikido techniques without firing muscles you don't need. I think you should be able to use any movement or stance to practice "Ki".

Shane

ian
11-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Chi is the same as ki (but chinese). A good book on developing internal energy is 'the way of energy' by Lam Kiew Kitt? It is a book on Chi Gung. Quite intense, and ensure you progress slowly, but very very useful for relaxed power. Personally I believe it is better than many of these second hand 'ki testing' approaches. Ki testing is not the same as ki development.

Miguelspride67
11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Personally i have felt the internal energy Ki, by doing some Chi-Jung exercises posted in www.acupuncture.com