PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Rehse goes to Washington

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

PeterR
10-27-2004, 09:10 PM
I'll be in Washington November 17-21 should I bring my dogi? Perfectly happy with just an evening of beer and conversation.

tenshinaikidoka
10-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Your going to be in Washington State??????

PeterR
10-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Washington City (near the White House).

Geez I thought the play on movie title was obvious (Mr. Smith).

George S. Ledyard
10-28-2004, 12:20 AM
I'll be in Washington November 17-21 should I bring my dogi? Perfectly happy with just an evening of beer and conversation.

If you can get to the Aikido Shobukan dojo which is about two blocks from the Takoma Park Metro station (no car required) I will e-mail my buddies there to tell them you are coming. Pete Trimmer Sensei, 6th Dan, is my good friend and one of Saotome Sensei's senior students. He is the Chief Instructor. Also, just across the river is Aikido of Northern Virginia which is run by Jimmy Sorrentino Sensei, another great friend of mine. You'd almost certainly have fun there as well. If you think you'd get there I can e-mail them for you. Just let me know.

PeterR
10-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Hi George;

I know where I'll be staying (just across from the White House) but have no idea how to get to various places. I also don't know just yet what nights are free but I think the 20th is out and the 17th would be really tough. My flight back may or may not be on the 21st. If its not that day would be perfect.

Please contact these people and ask them what's possible. I enjoy using business trips to step outside of my normal box.

Chuck.Gordon
10-28-2004, 01:35 AM
(Already answered on e-budo, too).

Me too, but in Feb-March for about 5 weeks. I'll have eves and weekends free.

Peter R., Wash is SO easy to get around. The Metro is Good.

Chuck

George S. Ledyard
10-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Hi George;

I know where I'll be staying (just across from the White House) but have no idea how to get to various places. I also don't know just yet what nights are free but I think the 20th is out and the 17th would be really tough. My flight back may or may not be on the 21st. If its not that day would be perfect.

Please contact these people and ask them what's possible. I enjoy using business trips to step outside of my normal box.
Peter I sent an e-mail to a couple of my friends there. Hopefully they'll have a moment to drop you a line. I gave them the e-mail address I had for you.

The DC Metro is extremely easy. I know you can catch a train right near the white house and go directly up to Takoma park without even changing trains. Also, I believe the dojo in Virgina is very near a Metro stop but I haven't actually done that one myself.

Mark Mueller
10-28-2004, 07:28 AM
You could spit (with a good wind at your back) and hit the Northern Virginia Dojo from the Metro Station....it is right across the street.

Mark Mueller
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Ooops! Forgot to add the it is the Ballston Station in Virginia off the Orange Line. Great Dojo!

L. Camejo
10-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi Peter,

Wish I knew a bit earlier that you'd be in DC, I may have been able to join you. That's like my second home man, I spend lot of time in Silver Spring, Maryland on vacation, which is not far from the DC border.

When in that area I trained a bit at Capital Aikikai (http://www.capitalaikikai.org), the head instructor there is Clyde Takeguchi, 7th Dan. He is a really good natured, charming guy and has a good group of Yudansha and Instructors who are open to other methods of Aikido training as well from what I've seen. Their dojo is a really good melting pot imo. I actually showed them the Randori no Kata on one of my visits and they were thinking about trying some Shodokan style tanto randori (just the Yudansha and Ikkyu), but I had to leave unexpectedly. They have training I think every week day on evenings from about 6:00 or 6:30 and weekends from about 9:00 AM. As a visitor you train for free too afaik.

Their dojo is a short walk from the Silver Spring Metro station, which is on the Red Line. If you'd like to stop by when you visit and if you tell me where you're staying I can give you precise directions to the dojo via the metro system. I can e-mail one of my Instructor pals there and he will probably be able to contact you when you arrive in case you need to train.

So let me know via PM, e-mail or here.

Have fun.
LC:ai::ki:

AsimHanif
10-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Peter,
all of those dojo's mentioned above are easily accessed via metro. Capital Aikikai, Aikido of Northern Virginia, and Shobukan have numerous classes throughout the week. From DC you are also an hour away from Baltimore Aikido (Charlie Page Sensei and Chuck Weber Sensei) and 90 minutes from AFOD (Okimura Sensei) if you feel like traveling.
Okinawan Aikikai is in Georgetown very close to the White House.
There are also 3 or 4 Tomiki dojo in Baltimore.
My club is 20-30 minutes south of DC but may be difficult to get to if you are not driving.
There is plenty of aikido in the area and you can always give me a ring if you need directions anywhere.

PeterR
10-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Wow - really quite a few choices I might not even have time for what I'm actually supposed to do.

George I already got a response from one of your suggestions - thanks.

I probably will not go to a Tomiki club mainly because I get so much of that here but everything is up in the air at the moment.

Michael Neal
10-28-2004, 09:19 PM
You could also stop by Arlington Judo club if you feel like doing Judo instead :) Anyway I recommend Aikido of Northern Virginia, there is a different flavor there you don't find at many other Aikido places.

George S. Ledyard
10-29-2004, 01:44 AM
Wow - really quite a few choices I might not even have time for what I'm actually supposed to do.

George I already got a response from one of your suggestions - thanks.

I probably will not go to a Tomiki club mainly because I get so much of that here but everything is up in the air at the moment.
I heard Jimmy wrote you... I don't know if or when you'll hear from the other guys I wrote to as there seems to be some changing of the guard at the dojo. I am not sure who is there at the moment.

PeterR
11-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Well I ended up training at two dojos.

Aikido of North Virginia run by Jim Sorrentino and the dojo of Satome Shihan (Shobukan). Training in both places was good and had me sweating nicely followed by after practice beer. The head guy of the latter dojo wasn't there but his students were quite good and ran a very strong class.

In both cases I ended up with a couple of ideas to work on now that I'm home.

George S. Ledyard
11-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Well I ended up training at two dojos.

Aikido of North Virginia run by Jim Sorrentino and the dojo of Satome Shihan (Shobukan). Training in both places was good and had me sweating nicely followed by after practice beer. The head guy of the latter dojo wasn't there but his students were quite good and ran a very strong class.

In both cases I ended up with a couple of ideas to work on now that I'm home.

Hi Peter,
I am glad that you had a good time. The DC dojo is my original home dojo where I started my Aikido training in 1976 when it was newly opened. I have a soft place in my heart for the old school...
- George