PDA

View Full Version : Info On Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stethomas
10-21-2004, 08:13 AM
Hi

Only joined this forum yesterday & im new to the whole Aikido thing so was wondering if anyone would'nt mind giving me a little info on it.
What it does for you!
How long did it take YOU for it to come naturally!
Whats the order of bels, how many are they etc...

Thanks in advance.
Steve

SeiserL
10-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the world of Aikido.

Find the FAQ (frequently asked questions) section and read away. A web-search will find many resources too.

In the mean time, Aikido is a relatively new martial art, with traditional values and appearance. It is nonviolent and noncompetitive (usually to both). Its techniques and training methods teach patience and discipline.

Personally, I have been in martial arts over 35 years and have studied Aikido the last 10. Still enjoy it and the people.

tenshinaikidoka
10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
I would say that it would depend on your ability Stephen, as to whether you become proficient in it or not. It usually takes a while to start to get used to the rolls and other movements.
As far as belts, that is an individual dojo thing I assume, because not all schools follow the colored belt system. Some have white belt, brown belt black belt, some actually have colored belts from yellow to black and some have white and black only. It depends on the school and association. But, don't worry too much about belts, have fun learning Aikido. Belts only hold pants up anyway, the person is the one who perfects the art.

deepsoup
10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
How long did it take YOU for it to come naturally!
I'm afraid it still only comes naturally to me when I force it to. :hypno:

Ron Tisdale
10-21-2004, 03:21 PM
I suggest you read Lynn's book...he and his instructor wrote it, and I think it is an excellent general primer on beginning aikido. Funny thing...I was ready it while eating breakfast in a diner, and the woman next to me turned out to be about nidan in Ki Aikido!

Ron

Stethomas
10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi

Thanks for the replies & yea i think i will read Lynn's book, how do i come by it... Probley dead obvious right!

Yokaze
10-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Welcome, Stephen. Good to have you on Aikiweb, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the new world you have entered. ^_^

Ron Tisdale
10-22-2004, 08:54 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804834903/104-8037944-8875134?v=glance

I found my copy at Barnes and Noble I believe. Haven't finished it yet (been busy) but the first half is good. If I get a chance I'll do up a review.

Ron

SeiserL
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I suggest you read Lynn's book...he and his instructor wrote it, and I think it is an excellent general primer on beginning aikido.

Thanks for the kind words. We hope it has something to offer.

We have submitted another one on concepts and a thrid on weapons.

Bronson
10-22-2004, 04:50 PM
I too liked the book. It gives concise info for the beginning student and it does so without bogging them down with too much. My only critique would be the "ghost" image pictures. I found them a little confusing.

Bronson

SeiserL
10-22-2004, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=Bronson Diffin]I too liked the book. It gives concise info for the beginning student and it does so without bogging them down with too much. My only critique would be the "ghost" image pictures. I found them a little confusing. [QUOTE]

Also, thanks for the kind words.

The ghost images were actually a mistake that was kept because it showed action and we were very limited by the numbers of photographs the publisher would let us use.