PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Rules

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Taliesin
10-19-2004, 11:21 AM
With the HC about get underway I'd like to invite all fellow members to express their appreciation (or lack thereof) of the Worlds greatest Sport.

It has it all, speed, fluidity, grace, guile, tackling, ruthless forward confrontation, a game for everyone no matter size, speed or shape - if your willing to play.

Hogan
10-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Heck, even our President played it....

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_yale_righthook.gif

Bronson
10-19-2004, 02:26 PM
I still say team sports would be a lot more entertaining if the players carried weapons and the spectators were garaunteed to see dismemberments, disembowelments and at least one death per game evileyes

Think more like the game from the movie Blood of Heroes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094764/) .

The Blood of Heroes (1988): Not really a rugby film in that post Max Mad apocalypse Rutger Hauer and friends play "jugger." (Get it? Not rugger, jugger.) One fellow wrote an intriguing synopsis: "Juggers play a sport which is kind of like american football played on a tiny field (maybe 20 yards) except instead of getting a ball in the endzone, you have to get a dog's skull jammed onto a stake. Oh, and everyone except the Skull Carrier (or Qwik) has big mean looking mallets and poles to smack everyone around with." Okay, so it's spiritually a rugby film

Bronson

deepsoup
10-19-2004, 04:20 PM
I still say team sports would be a lot more entertaining if the players carried weapons
Sounds like hurling would be more your thing than rugby. :)

Taliesin
10-20-2004, 02:50 AM
In the UK it was called 'Salute of the Juggers and set in some Post Apocalyptic Australia - but it is a great film.

Unfortunately the fact that GWB played it does leave us with problems from people who assume it's just mindless violence for morons! In fact judging by the photo it looks like he is resorting to violence instead of just tackling properly.

Bronson
10-20-2004, 01:54 PM

I've seen a little hurling and it did catch my attention. Still, nobody had their head removed from their torso evileyes :crazy: evileyes

Bronson

stoker
10-20-2004, 02:45 PM

I always thought golf could be made exciting by having two hidden land minds put randomly in fareways, a sand trap filled with quicksand, and a crew of hungry cannibals hiding in the rough. :confused: Maybe add in hurling clubs as putters!

maikerus
10-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Fantastic sport...I've often thought that it might be fun to play again (I played in high school) now that I've got a few years of Aikido under my belt. I should be that much better at tackling and running through a crowd of people trying to take me down.

Of course, I'd have to reread the rules and figure out what techniques would best look like accidental falls and slips for the other team :)

And just to be certifiably Canadian...everyone here must understand that Ice Hockey is the coolest sport on earth, just edging out Rugby in the grand scheme of things.

cheers,

--Michael

Taliesin
10-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Actually Ice Hockey is a close joint second with Auzzie rules football. Rugby - that real 15 man rugby is still king!!