PDA

View Full Version : Best MA Movies

Please visit our sponsor:

Arunabha Sengupta
03-19-2001, 02:33 AM
Since we are having a lot of discussion on the Worst Martial Art movies, why not post the names of the best Martial Arts movies?

Steve Speicher
03-19-2001, 03:39 PM
I really enjoyed "Tai Chi Masters" starring Jet Li. I think the name was changed when it was released in the US, but the story is the same.

Two brothers get kicked out of the monastery where they are growing up, and take separate paths that lead to conflict later in life (when Jet Li has become a Tai Chi master).

The fight scene in the monastery is beautifully choreographed.

Arunabha Sengupta
03-20-2001, 09:56 PM
This one doesn't seem to be too interesting as a forum topic. However, how do people rate Bruce Lee movies among the best ever?

Ray
03-21-2001, 06:39 AM
Hi i'm new here,
i think one of the best movies i've seen is "the young master" starring jackie chan.

naebis
03-21-2001, 09:31 AM
I like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Moomin
03-21-2001, 09:49 AM
Me too, and also Shaolin Temple and Return to Shaolin Temple (but I was only 12 when I saw them so they might be rubbish), and Monkey the tv series (which wasn't really MA but what the hey).

BC
03-21-2001, 02:13 PM
"The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurosawa

sceptoor
03-22-2001, 10:40 AM
I'm kind of partial to the "Kung Fu theatre" kind of MA flicks myself.

I remember one called something like "Snake fist vs. the Dragon" when I was like 12, around 1981. I don't know who was in it, I just remember it being on Showtime a lot. Typical story of a kid that was never allowed to join the dojo he actually worked in, but watched and practiced on his own until one day he beat all the students, then of course the master took him in. Something like that.

Also, Lone Wolf and Cub series is good. And Seven Samurai. Now there's a movie I'd like to see remade, yet without sacrificing/changing the story or characters, and of course the skill of swordmanship.

Arunabha Sengupta
03-22-2001, 10:23 PM
How do people rate Fists of Fury?

melvynq
03-26-2001, 07:09 PM
Have anyone watch Drive. This movie is a rare gem. Mark Dacascos is an extremely gifted martial artist. He really shows his stuff in this movie and other such as Crying Freeman, etc.

Nick
03-26-2001, 07:33 PM
Ran, most of Kagemusha (some of it lost me), Sanjuro, and for a more contemporary one, Fist of Legend... it's a remake of Lee's Chinese Connection, and basically kung fu vs karate in pre-WWII Shanghai. Very interesting, and excepting the film speed up, and when they kick a tree down (my dad walked in right at that part of the movie, laughed, and said "Come on!"), it's pretty realistic. Just don't get the dubbed version... reminds me somehow of Godzilla ;).

Nick

sceptoor
04-03-2001, 10:43 PM
melvynq wrote:
Have anyone watch Drive. This movie is a rare gem. Mark Dacascos is an extremely gifted martial artist. He really shows his stuff in this movie and other such as Crying Freeman, etc.

Is that the one where he is trying to escape the other guy with a "bio-engine" and the dude with the long hair with a whip?? He also fights some guys by putting some boots on his hands??
There's still a lot of "wire work" in it, but Dascascos is still pretty good, but like I said in an earlier post, he's a victim of the low budget film.

Another film I like but no one has mentioned yet is "Rapid Fire" with Brandon Lee.

Sam
04-04-2001, 03:49 AM
Not really a MA movie but a martial movie, I have always had 'Seven Samurai' in the top spot. 'Sanjuro' and 'Yojimbo' and also right up there.
I also like 'Crying freeman' for a manga like feel to a movie.
For humor value alone 'Zu warriors' is absolutely wild and was the forerunner to the supernatural kung-fu film.

Bruce Lees movies are good, but I never really liked the revenge/killing people part.

andrew
04-04-2001, 06:43 AM
"The Young Master" is pretty cool, but I bought it in London last year and they'd cut most of the opium fight from the video, which was the main reason I'd wanted to see it again! Probably fine if you buy it anywhere else..

Oddly, "The armor of god" is really crisply edited in the dubbed version, but with a bit conversation section cut. The subtitled version has sloppier editing (slightly longer shots in some of the action scenes which make it less tense), bad tranlation, but leaves in the best part of the film where Jackie Chan tries to conceal his friends Fiance in his bedroom. Take the best of both versions and you'd have my favorite Jackie Chan movie, and I'm a big fan.

andrew

Erik
04-04-2001, 12:05 PM
How about

"Big Trouble in Little China"
with Kurt Russell

"A Fistful of Yen"
which was in Kentucky Fried Movie