PDA

View Full Version : Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Travis Baker
03-19-2001, 12:35 AM
Is it worth going to see? I was considering taking my girlfriend to see it because it looks like something she might like. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it. The critics seemed to like it... but that doesn't really mean anything.

Yay or Nay?

-Travis

DiNalt
03-19-2001, 02:22 AM
Travis Baker wrote:
Is it worth going to see? I was considering taking my girlfriend to see it because it looks like something she might like. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it. The critics seemed to like it... but that doesn't really mean anything.

Yay or Nay?

-Travis

Roger Ebert says, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is like Dirty Dancing, only in the middle of the movie Rambo comes and guns down the main actors, the supporting actors and the cameraman. The remaining 60 minutes of the movie, therefore, are just a still picture of blood-soaked ground..."

Okay, so he really didn't say that.
Damn, I'm an insomniac.

Moomin
03-19-2001, 04:05 AM
What an odd thing to say.

Well Mr. Baker, it's going to cost you, what, $20 all in for the date, so I guess just go and see it. (I thought it was actually rather good, a bit like a travelogue of China in places, but Michelle Yeo is such a beautiful woman, interesting story and neat fight scenes, especially the last-but-one battle).

andrew
03-19-2001, 04:30 AM
Any girl I know who's gone to it has wanted to go again..... It's got an odd kind of doomed romance thing in it. It's a film where you realise some things aren't going to have a convenient ending, and it's very moving because of it.

andrew

Sam
03-20-2001, 03:23 AM
Go and see it. It is fantastic.
I think it is probably the second best MA film I have seen because the bits inbetween the fighting scenes (you know the story bits) are good.- just nudged out the top spot by Shanghai Noon in my opinion.

Yo-Jimbo
03-20-2001, 06:53 AM
And did anyone mention that Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi are majorly hot?!?
The drama was cool too.
Fighting rocked.
Of course, Michelle Yeoh is at least one third of the perfect woman, so...

Arunabha Sengupta
03-27-2001, 06:03 AM
I saw it yesterday. The Martial part was quite good in parts, but the actors spent too much time flying high during combat scenes, giving a very mystic look to the fights.
Except for Michelle Yeoh, the scenic Chinese landscapes and some of the martial sequences sans the 'flights' of fancy, I found the story line thin and odd and the entire movie difficult to digest, even for Kung Fu fans.

The One
03-27-2001, 08:27 AM
I've seen it 3 times since the day it came out and it is my new favorite movie and bumped The Matrix out of its spot in my opinion.

About the mystical part and it being difficult to swallow... Come on! It's supposed to be a fantasy. And the flying part adds a very artistic side to the movie. That's why it was nominated for so many Oscars. And BTW, Isn't it an ancient myth in kung fu? That you could fly be placing your ki below you and lifting yourself? Or making yourself weightless? I know I've read it somewhere.

skeet_master
04-01-2001, 11:05 AM
I would also recommend this movie.

Though I haven't really seen that many martial arts movies, I really enjoyed this one.

I know some people have trouble getting past the wire stunts, and I have to say I was pretty worried about that too before I went into the theatre. But I got past it (they are pretty much superheroes after all). The scene in the trees was the only one I thought looked a little hokey. That and the first fight scene was very dark so I couldn't see any of the actual fight (but man it really _sounds_ good hehe)

Nice story too - some people I've talked to called it cheesy or whatever but I think its more like Shakespearean tragedy. And on a final note (no pun intendeded), it has a beatiful score.

-Ethan