PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Waterloo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

FraserD
10-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Hello all,

I have recently returned to shin-shin toitsu aikido after a long hiatus (20+ years). My particular interest is ki training. From my perspective the techniques are a means to development of my ki. I hope that this viewpoint does not offend the sensibilities of this group.

Regards,

Fraser

akiy
10-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi Fraser,

Nice to have you hear. Welcome, and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

wxyzabc
10-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Hya Fraser...welcome

I study Nishio style aikido which is very "martial"...but would be really interested to know about the Ki aspect. Does Ki development have any practical applications beyond application of technique?..what are the possibilities? :)

My Japanese girlfriend tells me that on TV she has seen Ki Masters toppling elephants from substantial distances...is this possible? :eek:

Kindest regards

Lee

Dazzler
10-08-2004, 05:12 AM
My Japanese girlfriend tells me that on TV she has seen Ki Masters toppling elephants from substantial distances...is this possible? :eek:

Yes its possible that she may have told you.!! :D

Seriously - It may be possible...did they have large guns? :D

What the heck...welcome to the forums Fraser.

Cheers

D

ian
10-08-2004, 05:38 AM
I don't understand why people use aikido to develop ki. Surely meditation and chi gung exercises are more effective as they were specifically designed for this purpose. From what I've seen of ki-aikido it is mostly 'ki-testing'. Surely there needs to be ki training before doing ki testing. Also why did Ueshiba feel it necessary to do Misogi and ki exercises if aikido would have sufficed?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt here, I really don't understand why the wealth of chinese ki development techniques are ignored in ki-aikido.

Ian

P.S. I'd heard that about toppling elephants as well. Apparently Saddham Hussein had a secret weapons development program that incorporated these techniques and managed to train people to turn over American and British tanks with only their ki during the war.

P.P.S. that last bit was an ironic joke - don't know what's up with me today.

tedehara
10-08-2004, 07:10 AM
I don't understand why people use aikido to develop ki. Surely meditation and chi gung exercises are more effective as they were specifically designed for this purpose. From what I've seen of ki-aikido it is mostly 'ki-testing'. Surely there needs to be ki training before doing ki testing.Personally I don't like the mysticism that goes along with Chinese approach. Without the testing, you don't know if you're doing things right or wrong. The testing and the training go together.
Also why did Ueshiba feel it necessary to do Misogi and ki exercises if aikido would have sufficed?Why did the founder follow Omote-kyo if aikido should have sufficed? The founder set his training within the larger framework of Shinto, just as Koichi Tohei put his within the framework of Tempu Nakamura and Tempukai.
I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt here, I really don't understand why the wealth of Chinese ki development techniques are ignored in ki-aikido.They don't. Most of the relaxation taiso is taken from a qi-gong (chi-gung) exercise. Qi-gong is popular in Japan and the Ki Society picked up on that.
P.S. I'd heard that about toppling elephants as well...There is a tradition where "Ki Masters" are more stage magicians than people who develop things for everyday life. Sounds like this is a good example.

Welcome FraserD. Don't get too upset with us. We're all just learning.
:)

FraserD
10-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Thank you all for your kind responses and apologies in advance if I am unable to utilize the web technology correctly.

Does Ki development have any practical applications beyond application of technique?..what are the possibilities? :)

One area that springs to mind is kiatsu ho (pressing or healing with ki). Without becoming overly metaphysical it works very well on everyday aches and pains ... knees, back, neck, headache ... especially those that occur after pushing a 47 year old body a little harder than it has become accustomed to.

With regard to the aikido training my special joy is the kinesthetic understanding that is developed particularly when everything is moving in synchrony. That is a feeling I am unable to achieve by any static means. To live is to move and there is a certain joy that results from motion when there is no internal (or external) conflict.

OK, I just reread that last paragraph and it sounds pompous. :yuck: I just like aikido. 'nuff said.

Don't get too upset with us. We're all just learning.
:)

As am I. It just seems to go a lot slower as I get older. :(

Regards,

Fraser