PDA

View Full Version : Aiki awareness or just plain luck

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

batemanb
10-07-2004, 05:31 AM
I was walking out of the company car park this morning, having checked the ramps in all directions before stepping out into the exit (exit is the main entrance that cars pass in and out of).

I'd taken a few paces when something prompted me to glance back over my shoulder. I found a car fast approaching within 2 metres, instinctively I jumped backwards as the car literally brushed past me. It was at this point I realized that there was no driver :eek:! The car carried on out across the main road bounced (amazingly high) up the curb on the other side and smashed into a tree!!

If it had hit me square from behind (which it would have if I hadn't moved when I did), it would have knocked me forward and I would probably have gone under :uch: :dead: . It would seem that the owner forgot to put his handbrake on, the car rolled forward and down the ramp from the upper level :crazy: ! I've replayed this a number of times this morning but still can't figure out what actually caused me to look behind when I did? Nor can I figure out why I didn't get an adrenalin dump or suffer any shock afterwards (well not yet anyways).

Has my sensitivity to movement been heightened from Aiki training? I like to think so, although not really looking for an answer, just glad to still be here, I'm a very lucky chap :D

Regards

Bryan

happysod
10-07-2004, 05:40 AM
2/10 - a "true aikidoka" (TM) would have used tenkan and managed to apply the handbrake through a modified version of kokyu-nage while creating a haiku to commemorate proper parking procedure...

Seriously, glad to hear you're ok. I think you'll find it was your flower-like lugs that saved you, it's amazing how much information your ears give you. Just be glad you're not one the mongs who insist on wearing headphones all the time - as for no adrenalin dump - that's pretty cool, but you do realise you've passed up a perfect chance to be made a fuss of by all the women at work by not acting all distraught?

Matt Molloy
10-07-2004, 05:58 AM
2/10 - a "true aikidoka" (TM) would have used tenkan and managed to apply the handbrake through a modified version of kokyu-nage while creating a haiku to commemorate proper parking procedure...

Not to mention composing a full lecture on why it would have been done differently by [fill in name of sensei here] and why you did it this way. :)

Seriously, as above, glad to hear that you're alright and I agree that it was probably the hearing, but hey, it works for Dare Devil. :D
Cheers,

Matt.

batemanb
10-07-2004, 06:17 AM
I just went out for lunch and walked around the car, now parked outside on the ground level (I didn't bother earlier). It's a brand spanking new Golf GTI, I am quite amazed at the damage, the front wing has been badly crumpled, in excess of a foot back from the headlamps, the man's gonna have a very hefty repair bill :D

happysod
10-07-2004, 06:52 AM
composing a full lecture on why it would have been done differently by [fill in name of sensei here] and why you did it this way. ooh yes, forgot this one. Also, we can have a discussion about why there's no seminars on avoiding cars which will dissolve into traditionalists (horse and cart) vs the "new ruffians" (bmw) while someone quotes good 'ol Ushi at us and Ki will inevitably get mentioned as the way forward and a bjj meathead (heh to Paw) will just suggest we sprawl...

spanking new Golf GTI - obviously the car committed suicide (was a burberry spoiler involved by any chance?)

Matt Molloy
10-07-2004, 07:46 AM
I just went out for lunch and walked around the car, now parked outside on the ground level (I didn't bother earlier). It's a brand spanking new Golf GTI, I am quite amazed at the damage, the front wing has been badly crumpled, in excess of a foot back from the headlamps, the man's gonna have a very hefty repair bill :D

Didn't they used to advertise the Golfs by dropping one from a great height? How standards fall. It wouldn't even have dented one of the old ones. :)

Cheers and stay safe,

Matt.

Matt Molloy
10-07-2004, 07:48 AM
ooh yes, forgot this one. Also, we can have a discussion about why there's no seminars on avoiding cars which will dissolve into traditionalists (horse and cart) vs the "new ruffians" (bmw) while someone quotes good 'ol Ushi at us and Ki will inevitably get mentioned as the way forward and a bjj meathead (heh to Paw) will just suggest we sprawl...

Hmmm. Yes but at least, as this actually occurred on the street the "Street effective vs Dojo" debate would appear to be settled from the start. :D

Although someone will still ask whether we could replicate it in the cage no doubt. ;)

Cheers,

Matt.

JAHsattva
10-07-2004, 09:51 AM
congrats on survival :)

i see it as being in harmony with your life path.

getting hit by a car with no driver ,was simply not the way youre supposed to go out.

be happy to be alive , and dont forget that it takes only one moment for everything to change.

aikidoc
10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Congrats on being safe. Perhaps your zanshin was working quite well for you.

Now, some would have done a back breakfall on the hood, atemied the window out and grabbed the gear shift and put it in gear or the steering wheel and guided it to safety.

Others might have just stopped it with their ki like the yellow bamboo guys.:)

Eriksen
10-08-2004, 01:31 AM
I see that you are from the UK, so this probably does not apply to you, but had you been from a certain other part of the world, it is my impression that the lawyer-recommended course of action would be to promptly break your own leg against a lamp post or the corner of a concrete wall, and then claim that you got hit by the car and sue the owner for a gazillion bucks (or more, if he/she is really rich). ;)

Good going with the fast reaction, though!

batemanb
10-08-2004, 01:37 AM
I see that you are from the UK, so this probably does not apply to you, but had you been from a certain other part of the world, it is my impression that the lawyer-recommended course of action would be to promptly break your own leg against a lamp post or the corner of a concrete wall, and then claim that you got hit by the car and sue the owner for a gazillion bucks (or more, if he/she is really rich). ;)

Good going with the fast reaction, though!

I can't honestly say that the thought hadn't occured to me :), especially after twisting and aggravating my troublesome knee during training last night, but I think I've got a little bit more integrity than that ;).

ian
10-08-2004, 04:47 AM
No, I'd be far more pessimistic. You have to think it was a stoke of bad luck in the first place that a car came rolling towards you at all; or maybe you've survived so that you can have an even worse fate befalling you? To be honest, when I die I'd rather have it happen in some comical way, such as being hit by a car without a driver.

Bronson
10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
...when I die I'd rather have it happen in some comical way, such as being hit by a car without a driver.

Or drowning in that little swimming pool on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean :dead:

Bronson

SeiserL
10-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Has my sensitivity to movement been heightened from Aiki training? I like to think so, although not really looking for an answer, just glad to still be here, I'm a very lucky chap :D

Sounds like your sensitivity may have increased, but just consider it luck and use the experience to get back to training.

Yokaze
10-09-2004, 03:09 PM
All very entertaining comments XD.

Seriously, though, many don't believe in precognition, that is, the sensing of imminent threats. I do. After all, the entire premise of Aikido is to sense your opponent's intent and be ready to react, not AFTER the attack, but during. If an aikidoka can truly sense a fellow human being's intent, is it so hard to believe that something as large and comparitively simple as a runaway car would radiate a kind of energy of its own.

Maybe you just heard it coming, but that wouldn't necessarily account for your quick reaction. At the very least, Aikido has taught you to be more aware of your surroundings at all times. A lesson that I'm sure we can all learn from. ^_^