PDA

View Full Version : New Gi help.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

A D
10-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Hello again everyone,

I just recently passed my 9th kyu exam for Jujitsu and taking my first Aikido test this December.

I think I'm in for a new gi since my old cheap one that came with the membership is getting worn out.

Now, I like those doulbe weaved ones, but I'm a little confused on the criteria they are organzied in.

I'm think of this:
http://www.sakura-0.com/cgi/sakstore/sakstore.cgi?product=UNI_JAPANESE_JUDO_DW_BLCH&cart_id=912164.602

ITEM NUMBER: UNI-3004

It's a good price for me but I'm wondering if its good quality?

Should I get this bleached one, or the the unbleached one?

Help would be great.

Thanks a lot!

Alex

Chris Birke
10-02-2004, 03:02 PM
I can't really say - they don't identify the dogi maker and so there is no way to judge it's quality.

I have seen 40$ outfits last for years, though.

Bleached vs Unbleached is really a personal (or school) color preference. Bleached is white, and unbleached is a very light tan, sometimes speckled. Some would say that the bleached one is inherently weaker, but I havn't really seen this to be the case.

Most extremely expensive "high quality" dogi are bleached.

Suru
10-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Alex,

I don't know the difference b/t the bleached and unbleached gi. However, you might want to compare prices with Miami's "All Martial Arts Suppplies." I practiced for 3 years, and I'm only on my second gi, which is in excellent condition. The company's phone number is (305)223-8999. I'd ask if they have an Aikidogi first, then a Judogi. Either one will be perfect. The Judogi I bought from them is lightweight but thick and durable.

Drew

Larry Feldman
10-02-2004, 08:01 PM
The unbeached is simply the natural color of cotton, an 'off white' beige or light tan. With washing it whitens up due to the bleach in most detergents, so over a few months the unbleached will be white, just like the bleached gi.

This color can be useful, and let people know you are a beginner - or if they know you, just a new gi.

When you order it bleached it is done 'at the factory', to whiten it up. Some think this will weaken the fabric slightly since it is probably a strong bleach that is used to get it white in 1 washing.