PDA

View Full Version : Favorite aikido books?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

carlin
03-18-2001, 08:45 AM
What are your favorite aikido books? The only one I own is Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. I am new to aikido training but I have followed many threads on aikiweb, aikidofaq, etc. I am most interested in books that describe techniques and explain philosophy and that might skip past the basic FAQ info on aikido. Thanks for your time.

Mike Carlin

Matt Banks
03-18-2001, 09:25 AM
total aikido-gozo shioda
dynamic aikido-gozo shioda

Good novel to read ''Angry White Pyjamas'' by Robert Twigger.

ummm oh yeah

''Training with the master''
compilation of photos of training with osensei. That book is fantastic;.

Matt Banks

mornmd
03-18-2001, 09:51 AM
I highly recommend "The Blackbelt Master Course in Nihon Goshin Aikido," recently out by Sensei Walter Kopitov and Frank Bowers. NGA is a derivative of Daito-Ryu and not directly from Ueshiba. This book shows many techniques and applications, without trailing off into mysticism/religion. Great for anyone interested in sister arts to Ueshiba's aikido.

Matthew

Nick
03-18-2001, 10:51 AM
I like "Complete Aikido" By Suenaka and Watson, "Angry White Pajamas" by Twigger, and "The Essence of Aikido" By Ueshiba/Stevens was good because of the pictures and the listing of O'sensei's doka. Non-aikido but budo/japan related books that I enjoy are Shibumi by Trevanian, The Master of Go by Kawabata, the Ha Gakure by Tsunetomo, Bushido: The Warrior's Code by Nitobe, and The Way of Chuang Tzu by Merton, though the last one may be hard to find-- I borrowed my dad's copy that's copyrighted 1967... an excellent book, though...

I'll come up with more when I get home...

Nick

mj
03-18-2001, 11:54 AM
All excellent...
Living Aikido by Bruce Klickstein.
...Whatever happened to him?

And the best...
It's a lot like dancing by Terry Dobson

Kami
03-18-2001, 01:04 PM
carlin wrote:
What are your favorite aikido books?
Mike Carlin

KAMI : My personal favorites are :
a) "AIKIDO AND THE HARMONY OF NATURE", by Mitsugi Saotome;
b) "DUELING WITH O-SENSEI", by Ellis Amdur;
c) "SECRETS OF AIKIDO", by John Stevens(even if not to be trusted on historical facts); and
d) "JUDO AND AIKIDO", by Kenji Tomiki.
FWIW

JO
03-18-2001, 05:26 PM
My favorites and the only ones I have bought so far are:
The Spirit of Aikido, Kishomaru Ueshiba
Budo, Morihei Ueshiba
The Essence of Aikido, M. Ueshiba compiled by J. Stevens.

Greg Jennings
03-18-2001, 07:50 PM
carlin wrote:
What are your favorite aikido books? The only one I own is Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. I am new to aikido training but I have followed many threads on aikiweb, aikidofaq, etc. I am most interested in books that describe techniques and explain philosophy and that might skip past the basic FAQ info on aikido. Thanks for your time.

Mike Carlin

IMHO, you can't do any better than Saito Shihan's "Takemusu Aikido" series. They break down all the fundamental techniques into basic movements that are easy to learn. They are available at http://www.aikidojournal.com/

They are especially good if used in conjunction with the old Firelight Films videos of Saito Shihan's seminars from back in the 80's. They are available at http://www.aiki.com/

Regards,

Greg Jennings
03-18-2001, 08:04 PM
mj wrote:

He's not in Aikido any more. A sad story...

Regards,

Gerardo A Torres
03-18-2001, 09:51 PM
The first aikido books I had (and still my favorites)were:

1. Aikido, by K. Ueshiba
2. Dynamic Aikido, by Gozo Shioda

I also value:

3. Aikido: The way of Harmony, by Stevens & R. Shirata
4. The Spirit of Aikido, by K. Ueshiba
5. Aikido and the Harmony of Nature, by M. Saotome.

Robert Bostick
03-19-2001, 08:45 AM
The one book that I think everyone-Aikidoka or not- should read is Aikido in Everyday Life by Terry Dobson.

Sam
03-20-2001, 07:14 AM
I think 'Total Aikido' by Gozo Shioda is a superb book. The quality of the presentation, and the quality of aikido are the best I have seen, although I have to admit I find I have little choice at the local bookshop. I'd love to find a tomiki book of the same quality - anyone out there know of one?

A recommendation for all those tomiki thugs out there. An invaluble randori trainig aid - 'Judo Training methods' by Takahiko Ishikawa and Donn Draeger. Not a book about Judo really, but and insightful guide to event preparation and speed and power building through weight-free exercise.

Dajo251
03-20-2001, 10:12 AM
I would recomend A pictoral Biography of Morihei Uesiba by John stevens. It is not in depth to aikido but it is very entertaining to read about o'seneis exploits.

paul spawforth
03-20-2001, 10:20 AM
I thought "living aikido" by bruce klickstein and "dynamic aikido" by yoshinkan style founder gozo shioda were both very good technical aikido books. And also if you study Tomiki aikido, dr. lee ah loi's book of tomiki aikido, koryu no kata and randori no kata is very good although if you live in the states you may have trouble obtaining a copy.

Paul
England.

Young-In Park
03-20-2001, 03:36 PM
Although relatively unknown, probably one of the most helpful books I've ever read was "Precepts of the Martial Artist" by Walter Muryasz.

It was first published by Torrey Pines Aiki Press in San Diego in 1984. It was revised in 1991 and 1992.

carlin
03-21-2001, 12:31 PM
Thanks very much for this wide variety of books! I appreciate hearing from so many different perspectives. I'd like to add one more book to the list: Aikido: Exercises for Teaching and Training, by C.M. Shifflet. The author comes from a Ki Society background, but includes viewpoints from many other styles. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep 'em coming!
Mike Carlin

jxa127
03-21-2001, 01:02 PM
Here's another one to check out:

"The Magic of Conflict" by Thomans Crum.

-Drew Ames

Arunabha Sengupta
03-23-2001, 01:33 AM
Apart from the ones already listed, I think Koichi Tohei's "Aikido" is a good one.
However, nothing can beat Dynamic Sphere.

carlin
03-30-2001, 12:34 PM
I took a look at Ellis Amdur's site about his book, "Dueling with O-Sensei," and I saw the review written on this site. For those who have the book, what do you think of it?

Steve Speicher
08-17-2001, 12:58 PM
Mike,

I'd recommend the book Dueling With O Sensei. It is a very down to earth set of stories. Each chapter was a separate essay, but they were connected in a good order. He examines different aspects of aikido from a pretty unique perspective.

willy_lee
08-17-2001, 01:20 PM
I just got the book "Structure of Aikido" by Gaku Homma. Excellent stuff, especially if you are interested in the relationship between aikido
taijutsu techniques and sword techniques.

It's the first volume in a three-part series. However, I think it's the only one that's been published so far.

=wl

Erik
08-17-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Steve Speicher
Mike,

I'd recommend the book Dueling With O Sensei. It is a very down to earth set of stories. Each chapter was a separate essay, but they were connected in a good order. He examines different aspects of aikido from a pretty unique perspective.

Second that!

Greg Jennings
08-17-2001, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by mj
All excellent...

He caused a stink by carrying on with some of his underage female students.

One hears it in different ways.

Sometimes it's that he was just stupid enough to date underage females that were his students.

Other times it's much worse. That he physically abused the female students who didn't "get with the program".

I heard once recently that he'd resurfaced and taught a class or two far away from his former stomping grounds.

One a much better note:

I really like Morihiro Saito Shihan's new "Takemusu Aikido" series.

Best Regards,

Erik
08-17-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Greg Jennings
He caused a stink by carrying on with some of his underage female students.

One hears it in different ways.

Sometimes it's that he was just stupid enough to date underage females that were his students.

Other times it's much worse. That he physically abused the female students who didn't "get with the program".

I heard once recently that he'd resurfaced and taught a class or two far away from his former stomping grounds.

Dueling with O'Sensei goes into this with a fair amount of detail.

I really like Morihiro Saito Shihan's new "Takemusu Aikido" series.

I picked #5 up recently and I have to agree it's a good book.

wildaikido
08-19-2001, 09:46 AM
My favorite is Budo by Osensei, it has to be.
If not Aikido then my second favorite is Gorinnosho (The book of five rings) by Musashi.

aikilouis
08-19-2001, 11:46 AM
"Training with the Master, Lessons with Morihei Ueshiba, Founder of Aikido". Nuff said

Louis R Joseph

dainippon99
08-19-2001, 11:02 PM
"Aikido:the way of harmony"by john stevens and rinjiro shirata is a winner.
"way of aikido" by george leonard is good too. "secrets of aikido" is a fun read.

for all of my fellow shodokan compatriots, try to obtain a copy of nariyama shihan and shishida shihans book on aikido. it is in japanese, but the pictures alone are a superb guide. i would reccomend it to anyone.

PeterR
08-20-2001, 12:17 AM
Hi Bobby;

The Nariyama/Shishida book was translated into English over two years ago by seven pairs (one Japanese, one English) and read exactly like that. Since then it has been smoothed out and should be available this October for the festival. As a team member I hope I don't have to pay for it.

I have one basic rule when it comes to books on Aikido. Limit yourself to what your Shihan suggests. A friend of mine told me Nariyama's book was part of the curriculum when he was studying Aikido in High School (under the Osaka Aikikai).

I have also heard some very strong negative opinion about Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. In this case it was from a now senior student of Nariyama that studied the book with the earnestness that only a young man can muster only to come to Japan and find out over the course of years how way off the mark the book is on many things. I guess he was like a reformed smoker.

Anyhow - my point is that your primary source should be your teacher.

dainippon99
08-20-2001, 03:35 PM
hey peter,
i heard from sean flynn that the translation was done and that it would be availabe soon. talk about a time consumer once i get my hands on that book. hopefully, i will be able to attend the festival in october. where are they holding it? is it the one in osaka? or are they going to have another in the states?

PeterR
08-20-2001, 08:23 PM
Its the one in Osaka this October.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/index_e.html

Tony Peters
08-20-2001, 10:42 PM
Dynamic Sphere is a good book to a point but the flavor is decidedly Tohei influenced. Saito Sensei's books are incredible. I love Budo: training in Aikido for it hand drawn images and for the fact that it is one of the few if the only book written by Osensei that isn't Co-written by John Stevens. I have a bunch (too many) of his (John Stevens) books that I bought when I was new to aikido that I now wish I hadn't. They all seem to say the same thing and offer little in the way of useful training information. Satome Sensei's book is good as well as Yamada sensei's book. I've looked at Shioda sensei's Master Course and if I were studying Yoshinkan that would definatly been the book I get it is one of the best that I have ever seen. As it was I learned in a Tohei influenced Aikikai dojo so Dynamic Sphere and surprisingly Saito Sensei's books were the most relevant.

Kami
08-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by carlin
I took a look at Ellis Amdur's site about his book, "Dueling with O-Sensei," and I saw the review written on this site. For those who have the book, what do you think of it?

YAMANTAKA : A very good, down to earth little book that analyzes Budo with a very cool viewpoint, equally far from both the cynical and the new era outlook.
Very thought provoking

TAC One
08-22-2001, 07:22 AM
My favourites are Budo by O'sensei and "The Spiritual Fondations of Aikido" by William Gleason.

You can find info about the latter in his site (http://www.shobu.org/).

It's very good. It talks about kotodama meaning, but shows a buch of techniques in the attempt of explaining the principles behind them.
Very very good and not new-agey as you could guess reading the title.

Bye

Tac

Suru
08-22-2001, 10:17 AM
Aikido and the Harmony of Nature is my favorite aikido book. Saotome's drawings are incredible.

K. Ueshiba's "Spirit of Aikido" is also an excellent book.

I couldn't figure out how to change my signature so I'll just write it here.

One who has sold his or her soul to the devil must buy it back (or die), and the price is high.

Drew

andrea anzalone
09-06-2001, 02:35 AM
There is an interesting book published in France. "AIKIDO" by Noboyushi Tamura. The most interesting part is the first one, about bases and fondamentals of aikido, the second part, about "thecnics" it should be studied with the help of the Tamura Sensei because (in my opinion) is dangerous to study "technics "from a book.
Regards

andrea