PDA

View Full Version : aikido in video games

Please visit our sponsor:

aikijames
03-16-2001, 12:26 AM
i have resently perchised a playstation 2 and bought the game tekkan tag which has some very realistic graphics. and there are 2 ladies in there that practise aikido. unfortuately they also seem to preform a ju-jitsu combination so there have only a few aikido throws. but i was wondering if anyone has seen any aikido in other videogames.

james

leefr
03-16-2001, 03:33 AM
I think I mentioned this before, but while there is no character in tekken that is an aikidoka, many of the cooler techniques, especially reversals, are aikido techniques.

Many of Jin's reversals and throws are variations on ikkyo, and Paul has a kokyunage reversal against punches.

As for other games, I know Aoi in Virtua Fighter fights in Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, which has some similarity to aikido. There's a nice technique where she turns her back to her opponent as a taunt, and performs a kotegaeshi just as she's about to be sucker punched from behind.

That's about it as far as I know. Maybe Dead or Alive has some aikido in it, but I've never played it, so I couldn't say.

Matt Banks
03-16-2001, 03:34 AM
Hi there, you said they were performing jujitsu combinations, thus not aikido? The jujitsu variations as you put it , was still aikido. I dont think many can distinguish the tecnique of jutsu with aikido... there the same. I bet you would not be able to tell if some dan grades I know train in jujutsu or aikido. The teniques are almost indistinguishible sometimes. All the tecniques they did were aikido. Aikido tecniques can involve anything, its not always the stereotypical ''wrist grab'' as many non aiki people put it.
sorry im not having a go at you. I just wanted to point that out.

Matt Banks

p.s. i know I cant spell.

Matt Banks
03-16-2001, 03:39 AM
I think its difficult to put martial arts that mainly involve throwing, in ''beat em up'' games. Although they do try to.

Matt Banks

andrew
03-16-2001, 06:02 AM
Never mind that there's no aikido in it, Soul Calibur is the best beat em up ever. And I think it's currently being converted for the playstation 2....

andrew

jaemin
03-16-2001, 06:51 PM
You mean 'Jun'?

She was my favorite character though

I'm very poor at playing the game.

aikijames wrote:
i have resently perchised a playstation 2 and bought the game tekkan tag which has some very realistic graphics. and there are 2 ladies in there that practise aikido. unfortuately they also seem to preform a ju-jitsu combination so there have only a few aikido throws. but i was wondering if anyone has seen any aikido in other videogames.

james

Nick
03-16-2001, 06:54 PM
Actually, it's Nina that uses Aikido, though the combos for it are incredibly hard (kind of like Aikido, neh?) I was certainly surprised when my brother's character put me in an ikkyo though....

Nick

aikijames
03-16-2001, 08:36 PM
i was talking about nina and anna, there grappling combo's are very hard Especially when you have to push 3 buttons at once. but they have a cool tag throw that is a shiho-nage. they do a cool aiki-nage and juji-gatame.

Nick
06-25-2001, 12:14 AM
I got nina to do a tenkan kaitenage while playing Tekken Tag Tournament... my friends just didn't understand my excitement :)

Nick

chrisinbrasil
06-26-2001, 07:19 PM
I'm a big video game fan. In fact, I pretty much only play Tekken Tag and Marvel vs. Capcom, and only on arcades. I suck at home games. I use mostly Lei, Yoshimitsu, Angel, and Bryan. I know the moves you are refering to but calling Anna and Nina's style Aikido would be a far stretch in my book. Almost ALL of the characters have Aikido-like moves if you know how to do them. I think that the correction from Jin to Jun was unnecessary being Jin has a reversal that throws you face down on the ground just as Jun has that killer kotegaeshi. What's her name... the Bear's friend, the little chinese girl, her moves (grabs) are almost all Chin-Na and Aikido. In fact, she kind of does irimi-nague. Now I feel like playing...

Nick
07-23-2001, 09:03 PM
One of Wang's throws looks like an irimi-nage/plain ole' clothes-line mixup...

I like Bushido Blade better, myself, though it's a close one...

Nick

Colin 67
08-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by aikijames

james

There's a game called "Queen The Eye" for the PC which features Aikido. The body movements were recorded by putting movement sensors on a body and recording where they go putting it into the computer etc. Mr William Timms was the poor Aikidoka who had to suffer a day of ukemi up and down stairs for his trouble. He also was recorded doing various Jo and Ken movements and various other techniques which all feature. Quite a good game too. Don't know whether it's available for Playstation etc but if you've got a PC then it's worth a go.

mj
08-01-2001, 06:16 PM
:cool: In Soul Blade on the PS... some of the characters do aiki type movements.
Please don't tell me to get a life, I haven't played it for over two years! :rolleyes:
Hi Colin67, enjoy SummerCamp this year.
Say Hi for me, Dave too.
Try not to, er, hurt anyone :p
See you later.
(Is there a doctor in the dojo? :D )

wildaikido
08-04-2001, 11:22 AM
In a game called Kensei Sacred Fist one of the guy's is supposed to be based on Steven Seagal (not played it).
In Tekken I have notice that peoples style change in 1, 2, and 3. I don't think they did to much serious research and forgot what they wrote in the previous instruction booklets.
PS I recommend a game called Ronin Blade (yes its kenjutsu not aikido but its great)

Veers
01-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Her name is Ling Xiaoyu and she uses Kung Fu primarily... All the fighters in Tekken have at least two styles... Nina has the most aikido (anna has some, but less) and it really is hard to do (timing timing timing!).

A lot of Ling's grabs are aikidoish... I don't know the name of the move, but there's one where she grabs the arm, pulls them towards her, and then does the arm-under-the-neck move and flops them on the ground. She also has one or two kote gaeshi throws depending on which side you grab from.

I primarily use Ling when I play Tekken (she's so fast!) and I can usually take down Hwoarang (aka, Bob) because when my bro uses him, he kicks high (http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1073887.jpg) and fast so I go low (http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1059537.jpg) and dodge behind him. Though she uses some aikido grabs, her power hitting is in her kicking (http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1059467.jpg) and, again, her manuverability (http://www.gamers.com/i/pics/1059477.jpg). (Were I playing the game with that last shot, I could take that big guy down hehe).

Check out Tekken 4's website (http://www.namco.com/tekken4/tekken4.html) ...if you want to see Ling doing some moves, go to The Game, then The Fighters, then Ling, then there're three movies on the bottom (for all the characters, really, if you're interested)...

(EDIT: just noticed you can't view those pictures I linked to...you'll have to save them to your HD first...sorry, didn't know that would happen, but it's not that big of a deal, really...)

Heckler2
01-06-2003, 04:04 PM
There's a game called Mistmare, what uses Aikido movement for his "hero". The techniques was captured with motion capture technology. Unfortunately, i dunno who was the "victim". :D The game is not released yet, i read about it in a magazine. By the way, the screenshots looks good. :)

Mistmare website (http://mistmare.arxeltribe.com/)

PS: Sorry for my "inglesh" ;)

:ai::ki:

Miguel Cuevas
01-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Video games AND aikido!?!? Two of my most favorite things! I've GOT to post something.

Someone mentioned Aoi from Virtua Fighter 4, my favorite fighting game to date. She is definitely the closest recreation of an aikidoka that I've ever seen in a videogame, right down to her hakama. Aoi has a bunch of beautiful reversals which enable her to counter just about any attack, including some of the more flashy offensive techniques like flipkicks and jumping knees. Even if she can't get a true counter on an incoming attack, the least that you'll get is an animation in which Aoi kind of redirects the attack and makes the attacker stumble for a few seconds. She also has a bunch of "sabakis", which are attacks that if timed correctly, they negate a certain type of incoming attack while allowing Aoi to get a free hit. Needless to say, she is my favorite character!

Recently, Midway released Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. Even though the game is greatly rooted in fantasy rather than in focusing on realistic martial arts, there is a character by the name of Kano who has aikido as one of the three different "styles" that he can select from on the fly to fight with. I tried the game out and I only got two aikido-ish moves with Kano, but they appeared to be more judo-esque than anything. One throw was a massive O'soto gari, the other was a quick tomoe nage. Try it out and see what you can come up with.

Oh, and by the way, Tekken stinks.

Thalib
01-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Hey... no badmouthing Tekken...

Veers
01-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Yeah...Tekken's great...it's just not as realistic as VF4.

Miguel Cuevas
01-09-2003, 10:52 AM
I knew I'd get someone to stick up for Tekken...

Hey, Tekken may be great to some people, but to me, the character's border on being ridiculous and the games fighting system resembles a plethora of unrealistic martial arts maneuvers crammed together to work at high speed. That even wouldn't be a problem if it was at least fun and balanced, of which I find it to be niether. Paul Phoenix, anyone? Hammer fist, power punch; hammer fist sweep, power punch; hammerfist, throw... it makes me wanna scream! Don't even get me started on Kazuya...

For fun and balanced martial arts action, check out Virtua Fighter 4. From what I hear, the new version due out in about 6-8 months has two new characters, one of which is a student of the other martial art that I study in addition to aikido: judo. I can't wait!

Thalib
01-09-2003, 05:43 PM
I like Virtua Fighter series because it's more realistic than most... but sometimes realism is not what I look for in video games or movies.

Veers
01-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Yeah, video game=game... :P

Miguel Cuevas
01-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Video Game=FUN... :)

Tekken=Frustration... ;(

Virtua Fighter 4=Most fun... :)

Just my honest opinion...

Abasan
01-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Funny, that no one has mentioned UFC throwdown as a game they play especially since the NHB thread has a huge following here. For me... i tried it... and its hard. Its all in the timing, and playing it against good computer opponents can be nerve wrecking.

Mortal Combat deadly alliance sucks big time though. heh heh. And i agree, kano's so called aikido is a sham.