PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oberlin

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ecollander
09-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Hello all.
I have been reading with great interest many topics on this forum, and have gotten the impression that each and every one of you are very fine people.
I am/was 1st Dan Tae Kwon Do, but haven't studied/practiced in roughly 5 years due to bicycle racing (which takes up a substantial amount of time during racing season).
I am eager to get back into the study of MA, and Aikido seems to fit me perfectly philosophically (I hate confrontation and to end it I would rather not smash someone's face in with a roundhouse!) Plus, I very much enjoy the spiritual side to the arts.
So anyway, hello to all and I can't wait to start learning.
Eric
p.s. if anyone has any experience with the Dojo in Oberlin, Ohio, I'd love to hear about it.

akiy
09-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Eric,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction. As for the dojo at Oberlin College, I know at least several alumni from there who have continued their aikido training after graduating. I also met Frank Hreha sensei who used to teach there back in February. It's a good group from what I can tell...

-- Jun

Don_Modesto
09-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi Eric,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction. As for the dojo at Oberlin College, I know at least several alumni from there who have continued their aikido training after graduating. I also met Frank Hreha sensei who used to teach there back in February. It's a good group from what I can tell...

-- Jun

Hreha is one of my favorite seminar presenters, fwiw.

Tharis
09-22-2004, 07:16 PM
I trained there for three years, and am now training with Cleveland Aikikai. As Oberlin is where I got my start in MA, I'm biased, but I think it's a great place to train, and the seminars are amazing (and free if you're an ExCo student or Club Member). I know all the instructors personally, and they all rock.

Yours in ukemi,

Thomas

Anat Amitay
09-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi Eric,
Hope you'd enjoy Aikido as much as you enjoyed TKD.
I don't know the dojo you're talking about but just wanted to welcome you.
My sister learned TKD for about 6 years and now also thinks of moving to Aikido.
enjoy training!
Anat