PDA

View Full Version : Aikido on a wasp

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

taras
09-20-2004, 12:48 PM
I've been camping last weekend with a group of friends. I went into our food tent and noticed a wasp. A minute later I felt a sting on my hand, lifted it to have a look and saw the wasp sitting on my finger. Now, I AM NOT KEEN ON WASPS AT ALL, so I started shaking my hand (tekubi shindo undo), I had a drink in my other hand.

When I got out of the tent I noticed that the sting was sticking out of my finger about a 1 cm. My friend pulled it out, it was nearly 2 cm long all together!

I remembered a samurai writing where it says that you can let the enemy cut your sking in order to cut his bone. Well, at lest that wasp will never sting anyone again!

Atomicpenguin
09-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Little out of context, but here's an O-Sensei quote:

Put the active principle (yo) into the right hand
Turn the left into the passive (in)
And so guide the adversary.

Atomicpenguin
09-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, at lest that wasp will never sting anyone again!
So you killed the wasp? You make it sound like the wasp was an enemy of humankind that runs around stinging people.

Suru
09-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Wasps/hornets/yellow jackets are some of my least favorite insects. They have two modes: (1) building a nest, (2) really pissed off. If you're dealing with a nest, Hot Shot works well (sprays about 20 feet) or you can scald them with hot water. Just keep in mind that once you start spraying them with poison, they will switch into really pissed off mode!

Drew

DaveO
09-20-2004, 02:27 PM
I find that given the extreme thinness of the limbs; nikkyo works quite well against wasps. Sankyo's not too great; since the claw tends to come off in your hand and dismemberment tends to annoy ukes. Overall if applying aikido against a wasp; I advise against techniques that turn ukewasp's back to you - for obvious reasons.
Clearly; any zempo is out of the question as well; since it just gives uke sufficient airspeed for takeoff.
Kaitenage is good; since getting one of its arms behind its back will also trap the wings.
I'd also advise against any atemi or fake to the eyes; it's almost certain to fail - the wasp's got about 10,000 of 'em; it can afford to lose a few.
Also keep in mind that when facing a wasp it's entirely likely you'll be facing the whole bloody nest; so get ready for some serious randori - they might be only an inch long; but 1000 on one is still 1000 on one. If this situation occurs; I recommend a jo.
In order to give enough speed and reaction (and pain tolerance) to bash the little buggers; I recommend doing an 8-ball of coke as well. :D

shihonage
09-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Hey guys, one day I was walking (Japanese call it feetmove-undo), and I saw this old lady with a knitting needle and I thought, that knitting needle is just like a sword and the old lady is a Samurai !

That is so much like Aikido ! OMG LOL ROFLMAO

:rolleyes:

thomas_dixon
09-20-2004, 05:15 PM
...he wasp woulda died anyway because it stung you...

lmfao...it's ass was torn off..how could it live?

Suru
09-20-2004, 06:56 PM
DaveO,

That cracked me up.

Drew

Devin McDowell
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Wasps sting repeatedly, and pull the stinger out of the victim each time. Bees are the insects that leave it in.

Atomicpenguin
09-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Dave O.: Very funny. :p
Hey guys, one day I was walking (Japanese call it feetmove-undo), and I saw this old lady with a knitting needle and I thought, that knitting needle is just like a sword and the old lady is a Samurai !
Um, k.
...he wasp woulda died anyway because it stung you...
It's bees that die when they sting. As I understand it, wasps can do so repeatedly without harm.

thomas_dixon
09-21-2004, 01:28 AM
if it's sting was in his finger, that means it was torn out, hence the death...honeybees die after 1 sting regardless though

p00kiethebear
09-21-2004, 01:37 AM
Quote:

Um, k.

Just ignor him, he likes to ruin other peoples fun. :P

taras
09-21-2004, 02:02 AM
It was only the sting that came off, not the whole back bit of the body, so the wassp would have lived for a while at least (until it met another insect - can imagine that: hey, what are you trying to do to me, get off me, butty boy!). :D

shihonage
09-21-2004, 02:13 AM
Just ignor him, he likes to ruin other peoples fun. :P

Blasphemy !
Given the dire lack of either "fun" or "sanity" in this thread, I only did it a favor.

Mind you, my contribution wasn't stellar, but at this point, anything that is not related to wasps and Aikido, or interrelating wasps and Aikido, is a step in the right direction :)

p00kiethebear
09-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Mind you, my contribution wasn't stellar, but at this point, anything that is not related to wasps and Aikido, or interrelating wasps and Aikido, is a step in the right direction

I've now decided to dedicate myself to writing a book called "The Aikido of Wasps." When it's done i'll send you a free copy, and by free i mean "I'll charge your credit card without you knowing because i can't afford to give out free coppies"

shihonage
09-21-2004, 03:42 AM
I've now decided to dedicate myself to writing a book called "The Aikido of Wasps." When it's done i'll send you a free copy, and by free i mean "I'll charge your credit card without you knowing because i can't afford to give out free coppies"

(commits seppuku with his credit card)

happysod
09-21-2004, 04:05 AM
I want video proof! Anyway, everyone knows that the golf club membership card is the only true instrument of seppuku for the modern samurai. Tut tut Aleksey, I'll have to ding you for improper use of blood-letting tools again...

Bridge
09-21-2004, 04:30 AM

That is so much like Aikido ! OMG LOL ROFLMAO

:rolleyes:

Unless the old woman was a crazed nutter and liked to poke passers by with her needle, then she would be like the wasp.

What purpose do wasps serve anyway? It's not like they make honey or anything.

Matt Molloy
09-21-2004, 05:15 AM

To the best of my knowledge, as the predators/carnivores of the insect world, they help keep the population of insects under control. A place for everything and everything in its place. Attack them and you could be making a bit of a rod for your own back.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt Molloy
09-21-2004, 05:16 AM
*Shakes head.*

Man I sounded pompous in that last post. Forgive me please.

Cheers,

Matt.

Bridge
09-21-2004, 07:22 AM
That's OK. You are forgiven.

Actually I heard that the darling lil' creatures make pheromones which summon their friends if you hurt them. Doesn't stop me though.

Also, I have paper lampshades at my house and they always seem to hide on or inside them. So I have to be very careful so as not to destroy the lampshade with the swatter. So far, I have only destroyed 1 lampshade in 3 years.

ian
09-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Yeh, I got stung about 100 times doing orienteering once because I swotted one on my body. I got completely swarmed! Just to sound even more pompous than Matt; there are many types of wasps, but they are usually parasitic - they inject the eggs of their young into other insects and the young hatch and eat the insects from the inside out - nice. What can aikido do about that type of attack!? eh? eh?

- Bridget, is this swatting wasps without damaging lampshades thing a new method of training?

ian
09-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Come to think of it maybe Taras was parasitised and he is blissfully unware of his grusome end?

Matt Molloy
09-21-2004, 08:30 AM
That's OK. You are forgiven.

Aw, thanks. :D

Yeh, I got stung about 100 times doing orienteering once because I swotted one on my body. I got completely swarmed! Just to sound even more pompous than Matt; there are many types of wasps, but they are usually parasitic - they inject the eggs of their young into other insects and the young hatch and eat the insects from the inside out - nice. What can aikido do about that type of attack!? eh? eh?

Prepare us for the pain. See "Angry White Pyjamas."

- Bridget, is this swatting wasps without damaging lampshades thing a new method of training?

What do you think O'Sensei was doing when he was swinging a bokken around. Get enough accuracy with that thing and wasps become a thing of the past and your lampshades are never touched. :D

Cheers,

Matt.

thomas_dixon
09-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Thats why i keep my own personal yamata no orochi...

Tatiana
09-23-2004, 10:49 AM
They keep the cocroach population down... LOL! Here in S.P Brazil, we need them/! LOLpitty they're too few...

thisisnotreal
09-23-2004, 11:03 AM
when i first saw this thread, i thought wasp, as in W.A.S.P,
as in White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.

...and I was like, "Hmm...aikido against White-Anglo-Saxon-Protestants?"
..that's weird..
then i started thinking about distracting uke with SUV's and 2.4 children.

and then i thought, i just better click on the thread and look for myself.

then I saw aleksey's post, and knew i did the right thing.

i'm going away now...

Josh "Not sure why he posted this" Phillipson

thomas_dixon
09-24-2004, 12:19 AM
... *slowly backs away*

Bridge
09-24-2004, 04:05 AM
They keep the cocroach population down... LOL! Here in S.P Brazil, we need them/! LOLpitty they're too few...

Ah, right, they do have a purpose. Perhaps we should send you some of ours?

What do you think O'Sensei was doing when he was swinging a bokken around. Get enough accuracy with that thing and wasps become a thing of the past and your lampshades are never touched.

I discovered that a 30cm (or for the traditional practioners 12 inch) rule is not as good as 30p green fly swat shaped like a big hand. Now, if I swung a bokken I would have no lampshades and lots of broken furniture? Or is that the next level to achieve in wasp aikido?

Matt Molloy
09-24-2004, 05:31 AM
or for the traditional practioners 12 inch) rule

I see you have experience in Koryu. ;)

Now, if I swung a bokken I would have no lampshades and lots of broken furniture? Or is that the next level to achieve in wasp aikido?

Uh huh. That's the test for Shodan.

Judan is when you swing the bokken at the wasp, it merely wobbles in mid air and everyone thinks that you missed....until you point out that there is a wasp that will never mate again. :D

Cheers,

Matt.

happysod
09-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Matt Malloy, I formally accuse you of being a Mork and Mindy fan for that last joke, for which there is no excuse!

Tatiana
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
LOL! You're welcome to! Tho we've got a nest of them on our roof, and we still have them darn roaches... LOL!

Ah, right, they do have a purpose. Perhaps we should send you some of ours?

Matt Molloy
09-29-2004, 03:46 AM
Matt Malloy, I formally accuse you of being a Mork and Mindy fan for that last joke, for which there is no excuse!

I admit it. I throw myself (interesting technique) on the mercy of the court with no ukemi.

What can I say. It all seemed so innocent. (As did Mindy) and I thought that I could give it up anytime I liked. I was wrong. :(

*shame*

I'm aiming to be a reformed character and have stopped hanging around music shops waiting to see if they would come in. Now I just hang around them for the guitars - honest.

I plead your indulgence.

Matt.

(Nevertheless:Nanu nanu.) ;)

happysod
09-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Matt, I laughed, I cried, I was moved to another realm of peace and calm by your reply, then i noticed something... You spelled nanu correctly, so it was just a sham!

You used me in your sick little game of extolling hearty, healthy Morkism. Luring me in with promises of innocent yet subtle humour and Mindy in her bath-robe... I'll never trust you again Malloy! (I feel so used and dirty..)

Matt Molloy
09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Matt, I laughed, I cried, I was moved to another realm of peace and calm by your reply, then i noticed something... You spelled nanu correctly, so it was just a sham!

You used me in your sick little game of extolling hearty, healthy Morkism. Luring me in with promises of innocent yet subtle humour and Mindy in her bath-robe... I'll never trust you again Malloy! (I feel so used and dirty..)

Go on with you. You know you loved it really. ;)

There's a renegade Orken in you just waiting to break out. (Not really surprised if you're thinking about Mindy in her bathrobe. *breaks out into a cold sweat.*)

People in red jumpsuits! Time to unite!

*am rapidly losing the plot here.*

Cheers,

Matt.

shihonage
09-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Ian, do you take Matt to be your lawfully wedded husband ?

happysod
10-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Aleksey, go play in traffic - anyway, it's only our first cross-post, I hardly know the guy ('cept for his defence of kata, on e-budo I believe)

Matt Molloy
10-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Aleksey, go play in traffic - anyway, it's only our first cross-post, I hardly know the guy ('cept for his defence of kata, on e-budo I believe)

Aye, not my best moment I'm afraid. I lost it and came out sounding like a moron. :(

C'est la vie, different day et al.

Cheers,

Matt.

(Besides, am already married and the violence she can manage puts all martial arts in the shade but I love her anyway. :D)

billybob
10-14-2004, 10:13 AM
in the 1970's martial arts came to america. there was a tv show called 'kung fu' starring david carradine. its message, was love, harmony and universality 'dude'. the show sold cuz david carradine kicked someone's butt each episode; at least he usually left them breathing. ANNNNYWAY:

one episode he was trapped underground. he had his usual flashback (did i mention '70's?) that was never drug induced, and the lesson was about loving your enemy. a scorpion approached him, and despite his torpor he shielded the little buggy from harm and it showed him the way out of his predicament. i cried. what a marvelous lesson!!--------------------------man, i was a sissy back then!

bridget, may i suggest a water based pyrethrin insecticide - won't stain your lampshades, won't make you twitch, like some pesticides, and kills dem buggies dead!!! oh yeah.

life is sacred man, unless it's stinging, biting, or otherwise trying to kill you!!!!! i eat alligator, and shark every chance i get - just so i know i had them first if they ever get me!

harmony! harmony! ow! kill that thing!

billybob

Bridge
10-14-2004, 10:29 AM
bridget, may i suggest a water based pyrethrin insecticide - won't stain your lampshades, won't make you twitch, like some pesticides, and kills dem buggies dead!!! oh yeah.

Thanks for that David.

Tell you the truth, I get quite a sense of satisfaction from smacking those creatures. Not that I'm mean or anything :)

craig chapman
11-25-2004, 10:07 PM
I dont think anyone has mentioned yet that its bees that die if they sting you, not wasps.

A bees sting has a barbed surface, which is why when the sting penetrates your skin, the bee trys to pull out and then out comes half of its guts with the rest.
But a waps sting has no barbs, therefore it can pull out and sting again if it so wishes.

Just a thought

Many Blessings

Craig :ai: :ki: :do:

DaveO
02-06-2005, 06:55 AM
'Lo all! I just had to resurrect this old thread when I saw this; here we have actual video of martial arts on a wasp!
Not aikido; but certainly karate...or TKD...or boxing...or....
OK; dunno exactly what it is. But coming from the Umbilical Brothers; you can be sure it's weeeeird. :D

It's right here (http://www.koreus.com/files/200406/umbilical_brothers.html)!