PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Aikido...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Alex R.
09-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Hey all! This being my first post I wanted to make it a good one, but I'm not feeling at all creative at the moment...I promise there will be a good one soon. Anyway, I just have a few questions, but i should probably give you some background information first. First of all, my name is Alex and I am 16 years old and from the United States, and I live in the New England area. I first came a cross AIkido when my dad suggested we both begin martial arts for fun, exercise, and some practical skills...he was thinking Karate, but I wasn't so sure. I began researching martial arts online, and was drawn to Aikido when I first came across it...the principles and techniques of it seem to just fit me better than other martial arts I've seen {I Have some friends and family involved in various forms of Karate}. Anyway, due to a bit of a busy schedule I won't be able to begin Aikido until late winter, and I just had a few questions. The closest dojo to me is about 20-30 minutes away, and Aikikai {don't know if this signifies a certain style or not}. Due to a location change in the summer, the dojo closest to me there, and the only dojo in that area of the state, is Kenkyukai {I hope i spelled hat right}. ANyway, my real question is: Do dojos generally rown upon having to switch, even if only for a couple months? Are those 2 styles so different that I would be at a disadvantage if i trained at the other a few months a year? And also, unrelated to those previous questions...how ling does it generally take to get used to ukemi? At the moment the prospect of that scares the hell out of me. Anyway, that seems to be it for now, but I'll definitely post again soon. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcom and appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to listen to me.
Best Wishes,
Alex

mj
09-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi Alex. :)

Alex R.
09-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey Mark...nice meeting you

Lyle Laizure
09-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Hello Alex. Aikikai is as some put it mainsteam aikido. I believe kenkyukai is a form of ki society aikido. Nothing wrong with switching from one style of aikido to another, it does vary from teacher to teacher. In my opinion I would say that if the instructor is really interested in sharing their knowledge it shouldn't matter.

As far as would the styles be compatable. I would think so as they are both aikido.

Something to consider.

My friend attended a seminar with Morihiro Saito Shihan before he passed away and Saito Shihan began one of their practices by saying that most of the folks in attendance do no practice O'Sensei's aikido, but that he did and that is what he taught. He went on to say that one should study from many senseis and different styles as that is how the art will continue to live. (paraphrased of course)

Any opportunity I get I like to try other styles as they all have something to offer. What really matters is having a good sensei.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Alex R.
09-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks Lyle, and nice meeting you. I think I remember reading somewhere that O Sensei would tell his senior students, once they'd "graduated" to "go find your own Aikido". That's a cool concept.

Lyle Laizure
09-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Nice to meet you too Alex. I hope everything works out well for you.

Steve Kubien
09-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Hi Alex,

I have just begun training in aikido. Being thrown and tossed about is not quite as bad as you think it will be. I have NO previous martial arts experience and have been pretty lazy for the past 8 years. Yeah, I'm outta shape to say the least. Anytime I have been thrown has been ok except when I completely lose my balance (not from the technique, by my own clumbsiness).

I have trouble with breakfalls because of my size (270+), lack of flexibility and general lack of coordination. But, they are getting better with each class).

The dojo I belong to studies Yoshinkan which, if I understand correctly, involves more of "becoming one with the mat" ( :D )than some other styles (such as aikiai). Don't be overly worried. Until you begin your training, you may be well served to begin a stretching routine. Practice good ole' sommersaults and have some fun.

Steve Kubien

P.S. I am not looking to compare or evaluate one style of aikido as being better or inferior to others. In fact, if I am off base in what I have said, PLEASE let me know. I am looking to learn just like everyone else. Thanks.

SeiserL
09-20-2004, 08:14 AM
IMHO, study what and where you can. Styles are compatible because ultimately there is only one Aikido with infinite perspectives. Relax, breath, follow instructions, and enjoy yourself. It all eventually comes with training and experience.

Bronson
09-20-2004, 10:50 AM
I would suggest contacting the two instuctors and asking if it would be ok with them.

Bronson

Jeff Baldwin
09-20-2004, 01:09 PM
kenkyukai (Ki no Kenkyukai) is the name of the Ki Society headquarters in Japan so its probably a safe bet that's a Ki-Aikido school. Youy should contact them and ask.

in any case the first couple of months you will mostly be learning how to roll (Ukemi) and probably not get too confused about things.

akiy
09-20-2004, 01:21 PM
kenkyukai (Ki no Kenkyukai) is the name of the Ki Society headquarters in Japan so its probably a safe bet that's a Ki-Aikido school.
Not necessarily. There are also other organizations that have "kenkyukai" (which basically means "research/experimentation group") in their name including Aikido Kenkyukai International under Yoshinobu Takeda sensei (7th dan, Aikikai)...

-- Jun

Larry Cuvin
09-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi Alex,
We have something in common, I am new to Aikido (in my third month) and I'm also new on this forum as in my first post. I have a 16 and 12 year old daughters that decided to be involved with some form of self defense training during summer. My oldest actually found the Oregon Ki Society which was about 10 min from our house. We came to the dojo for an hour of introductory class on Ki. What an amazing stuff! I was hooked that first day. I spoke with the sensei and told him that I'm 44 years old with a lower back injury that I got while I was on active duty. He told me age was not a problem but I do need to get a release form from my doctor to participate in Aikido.

I've been practicing Ki Aikido ever since and still amazed by the power of Ki and what it does to the art. I've also been getting good stretches for my lower back and never had any problem. Regarding the ukemi, take it from an old man with back problems- don't sweat it. Don't get me wrong though, I was worried about it when I started but I have good instructors that made me believe that I can. Just trust in yourself and relax.

Good Luck and Best Regards to All

Jeff Baldwin
09-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Not necessarily. There are also other organizations that have "kenkyukai" (which basically means "research/experimentation group") in their name including Aikido Kenkyukai International under Yoshinobu Takeda sensei (7th dan, Aikikai)...

-- Jun

good to know, thanks