PDA

View Full Version : muso shinden ryu

Please visit our sponsor:

oudbruin
09-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi Folks- I wanted y'all to know that mugendo budogu has an English translatation now available of yamasutta's book of the muso shinden ryu. I just ordered my copy and it's been getting good reviews in the Iaido world. The book is written by Hogg.
-
Now if anyone has any relevant suggestions what to do about my achy knees (shot after 20+ years of bike racing) after doing Suwari waza and kneeling kata ( forget about going to mass), I'd be most appreciative.
Bruce

Niamh Marie O'Leary-Liu
10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks Bruce. That book is great to hear about since I've only ever seen a muso shinden ryu book written in Japanese.

As for achy knees, I can only speak from personal experience (no medical expertise) and say that what works for me, other than occasional ice packs and ibuprofen, is that I take a glucosamine / chondroitin supplement for joint flexibility. You're supposed to take it consistently for something like 4-6 weeks before you notice any improvement. A more unusual treatment: back in my schooldays, I made some post-soccer-practice visits to the sports/physical therapist for an ultrasound massage on a damaged knee. Also, don't know if it's relevant to you, but I try to stay away from spending too much time in extremely high heels.

;)

Janet Rosen
10-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Assuming the ache is indeed osteoarthritis ("wear and tear" of the cartilage at the end of the femur), then yes glucosamine/chondroiten in sufficient doses (IIRC at least 1200 mg/day glucosamine in divided doses) has been shown in clinical trials for pain of osteo of the knees to be as effective as non-steroidal antiinflammatories for many people. Niamh is correct, it can take weeks to tell if it will help. If it does, you need to then just keep taking it.
Ibuprofen or other nonsteroidal antiinflammatories can be used at the same time as glucosamine; they work totally differently.
Ice/cold is very specific for acute injury/swelling. If you are not having that kind of acute flare up, try both cold and heat, as there is no evidence one is more effective then the other. Some folks seem to do best alternating them (5 minutes cold, 5 minutes hot). Others find for chronic aches, esp osteoarthritis, nothing beats heat.
Topical irritants ("warmers" like BenGay, TIger Balm, Jointritis, etc) with capsicum, menthol or salicylic acid are considered safe for use in chronic arthritis also. They seem to affect the sensory nerves, blocking the pain sensation. A tiny percentage of folks don't tolerate the effect on the skin, so if you're trying for first time, apply it at home near a sink and washcloth!
Maintaining strength of quads via exercise that doesn't bear weight w/ active bending is really important--straight leg raises or static wall sits are good.

oudbruin
10-09-2004, 09:05 PM
----
I'll try the chrondroitin- It's a little embarassing, when I get on the mat in seiza and everyone is quiet except my knees -SNAP CRACKLE POP!! (no rice crispies), it also helps with the incipitant tendonitis from not doing a proper saya biki
---
as for the high heels, I haven't done any cross-dressing in a while....besides, i have nothing to match my mauve hakima...

Walter Wong
03-23-2005, 11:55 AM
I've never had knee problems from doing seiza forms. Proper alignment will help keep the knees from getting injured. This your sensei should be able to help as they can watch you and point out if your knees or body is unaligned.