PDA

View Full Version : Having lost my way

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

gdandscompserv
09-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Greetings All,
I studied Aikido in Okinawa under Sensei Iwao Yamaguchi. Wow, do I miss that guy. He spoke very little english and I understood only some of his words. What I did understand though was his spirit and his Aikido. Taking ukemi from this man was always considered an honor. Every technique was done with both energy and spirit. After years of experiencing some truly wonderful Aikido, Moriteru Ueshiba, grandson of O'Sensei, and third Aikido Doshu came to our dojo in Okinawa to administer the shodan tests. Wow, another very great honor. I moved back to America and lost my way. I am beginning to find my way back.
Sincerely,
Ricky Wood

daniel loughlin
09-15-2004, 01:08 PM
good luck rick im sure that you'll find your way and the universe shall help

akiy
09-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi Ricky,

Wlecome back to aikido and welcome to the AikiWeb Forums!

-- Jun

Greg Jennings
09-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Greetings All,
I studied Aikido in Okinawa under Sensei Iwao Yamaguchi. <snip>
Hi Ricky,
Happen to know Mike Callender? I've trained with him off and on over the years and have really enjoyed it.

Best regards,

gdandscompserv
09-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Hi Ricky,
Happen to know Mike Callender? I've trained with him off and on over the years and have really enjoyed it.

Best regards,
Yes, I trained with Mike in Okinawa. Good times!

philipsmith
09-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Don't know whether this will help.

Many years ago I couldn't practise after surgery to the base of my spine. In fact I thought Aikido was over for me. Even worse while doing gentle Iai-do I managed to re-open the wound at Summer Camp.

Thankfully Chiba Sensei sat me down and talked me through it. To paraphrase he said that we all find Aikido in our own way. Sometimes that way has to change, and sometimes it seems impossible. If we can get through it though a whole new perspective opens up.
I agreed to keep going to the dojo (to sit; or actually to stand) to watch Aikido for one year. During that year I manged to get back on the mat and here I am 20+ yeras later still training. Just stick with it.

Good luck finding your way.

Greg Jennings
09-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Yes, I trained with Mike in Okinawa. Good times!
Hi Ricky,

Mike is at Wright-Patterson doing the academic thing. He hangs out here some.

Best regards,