PDA

View Full Version : laundry-waza

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Tamarack
09-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Hello all,

I tried a forum search- because this seems like something that would have come up before- but no avail!

Currently I am without my sturdier judo-style dogi, and using a karate dogi.

Does any one use bleach whe washing their dogi?

It seems like bleach would destroy the fabric - but how does one keep it white?? :confused:

Lyle Laizure
09-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Good question. What you may want to consider is a detergent that contains color safe bleach. I also wear an undershirt to help protect the gi a bit. Don't know if that helps or if it makes things worse.

Troy
09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
My dogi was an unbleached white (kinda looked like a urin stained yellow), and over time, it has faded to more of a white. My Sensei said that bleach would weaken the fibers. And a Dohai tried bleaching his dogi and it came out looking spotty. I would not bleach it personally, but in the end, it is all up to you.

ian
09-15-2004, 06:27 AM
I believe bleach weakens the fibres - but so does getting your gi pulled. I buy a cheap gi - wash them at hot temperatures, bleach them, pull them, rip them, then buy another. (But I get a white karate gi, not the yellow judo gi which may not bleach well). Sometimes I think there's too much posing - a gi is a work uniform like a pair of overalls, not a fasion statement!

GLWeeks
09-15-2004, 07:16 AM
Might try Oxy Clean..... Works for me...

gstevens
09-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Gis and the laundery. I have found that the machine that you wash them in makes a huge difference. My Gi's get visably dirty on the outside from the little tiny bits of dirt on the mat. These seem to be really difficult to get out.

Oxy clean in a top loading washing machine on hot seem to work rather well for me. I have a light gi, not a judo style gi.

Both of my Gi's got really bad at one point and seemed to have a grey luster to them no matter what I washed them in, so I switched over to bleach for a washing at the advice of my Sensei. It helped a lot. Chlorine bleach will deterate the fabric somewhat, but not any worse than having someone pull on it. :-) Having it in the sun to dry is pretty bad on natural fibers too!

Ultimately the aikidoka in my dojo that practice regularly and well have gis that look really bad. They are torn, yellowed, stained here and there, and generally look like they need to be replaced. Then one day they come in with a new Gi and we all notice.

Guy
:-)

Bridge
09-15-2004, 08:19 AM
The occasional Oxy clean (Vanish) works well as does a few spoons of bicarb of soda with the usual detergent, which also deodorises (though I've never noticed).

Usually I just give (karate) gis a low temperature wash at 40 C, and the occasional wash at 60 C with non-bio + bicarb of soda to boost it. If it's really that bad then a hot wash (90 C) usually does the trick.

I have a hunch this is the sort of thing that would appear on Martha Stewart's website?

NagaBaba
09-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Hello all,

Does any one use bleach whe washing their dogi?

Why you want to wash your dogi???????

Avery Jenkins
09-15-2004, 10:26 AM
I just lean my gi in the corner until the next class.

Avery

p00kiethebear
09-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Why you want to wash your dogi???????

Sicko, i hope i never meet you and your unholy filfth on the mat. = P

Oxyclean, it DOES work as well as they say it does in the infomercials.

Hagen Seibert
09-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Once heard a story from someone who had forgotten a single small red sock in the machine and then put in her dogi for hot washing....
Afterwards she was sporting a wonderfully flamingo dogi.

(hew-hew)

billybob
09-15-2004, 11:10 AM
good stuff.

i used to rot through a judo gi in no time at all due the disgusting and pungent ammoniated nature of my perspiration. fortunately, through meditation and marriage counselling i no longer smell like last week's cat litter when i train.

my solution - buy one of the cotton/polyester blends and wash it right after class. they hold up so much better and look pretty good. military trick - keep one gi aside and wear it only for seminars or testing. it is a uniform and neatness shows respect. (and i need an edge in that dept.)

no bleach.

as an aside - don't wear your gi while drinking red wine. in some dojos blood stains are cool. since hepatitis b is an issue - bleach them out with peroxide.

billybob

j0nharris
09-15-2004, 11:43 AM
My wife/uke & I use a peroxide based non-chlorine bleach by Ecover (http://www.ecover.com/american/html/products/wasmiddelen.htm) that works very well.
And OxyClean for blood.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something good for getting out the residue of evil after being around politicians??

-jon

jacob wood
09-15-2004, 08:40 PM
It says on my gi that i should drip dry it does anybody really do this? does it matter if you dry in the machine?

Robert Jackson
09-15-2004, 08:57 PM
You're supposed to wash your gi? Now wonder no one will train with me!

I bleach mine. Just be sure to distille the bleach before putting the gi in the washer... Nice holes can be eaten through the fabric otherwise.

DCP
09-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Lots of good advice so far.

Here's my $.02 . . . I wash my dogis totally separate from ALL other laundry. Grime and dyes from other clothes can re-deposit on other clothes despite the rinse cycle. I use warm to hot water (after the first 6 washes or so), and never use bleach.

My dogis are among the whitest on the mat (but most of my training partners are college kids, so take that for what it's worth :) )

Jessie Brown
09-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Daniel, as a college student myself, I have to defend our good name. As I also happen to be neuortically neat, I happen to have a wonderfully white gi. I did learn how to do laundry before I came to college! Now if your comment had been about college guys, I might have agreed with you... ;-)

I wash mine normally but occasionally use detergent with bleach in it. Of course, it's inevitable that your dogi gradually become less white over time. That's why you buy new dogi ever once in a while and that's also why they monthly specials at Bujin Design!

j0nharris
09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I rarely put a gi in the dryer, unless I'm very pressed for time -- get it... pressed for time. :D
Anyway... we don't use much detergent, either. A couple of years ago we bought a couple of laundry capsules (http://tinyurl.com/6woou), & use them along with the papaya concentrate (http://tinyurl.com/4nwcd).