PDA

View Full Version : Aikido calligraphy

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Steve Kubien
09-14-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi everybody,

This may be a bit off the normal path of this forum and if so I apologize.

I am looking for the Japanese calligraphy which translates into, "house/place to develop/discipline the spirit". The name of my dojo is Reneikan and this is how that name translates. I am about to build a small rack to hold the tanto's we use and was hoping to incorporate this calligraphy into the design. Boy, I hope my sensai doesn't see this because it is a bit of a surprise. ;)

Thank you for any and all help.

Osu!

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario
Canada

Lyle Laizure
09-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Maybe check with a professor at a local college. Just a thought.

batemanb
09-14-2004, 07:25 AM
I'll have a look at this when I get home, unless someone beats me to it.

Regards

Bryan

batemanb
09-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi everybody,

This may be a bit off the normal path of this forum and if so I apologize.

I am looking for the Japanese calligraphy which translates into, "house/place to develop/discipline the spirit". The name of my dojo is Reneikan and this is how that name translates. I am about to build a small rack to hold the tanto's we use and was hoping to incorporate this calligraphy into the design. Boy, I hope my sensai doesn't see this because it is a bit of a surprise. ;)

Thank you for any and all help.

Osu!

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario
Canada

Here you go Steve, Renseikan in kanji.

Regards

Bryan

Steve Kubien
09-14-2004, 05:38 PM
That's fantastic Bryan! Hey, how do I know you are not tricking me and it actually says something like, "Sensai wears army boots" or something worse?

Kidding of course!

Thanks,
Steve Kubien

Suru
09-14-2004, 08:29 PM
Those are beautiful kanji.

Unfortunately, it says, "oshikko no kami" which translates as "the god of urination." This is actually one of the holiest Shinto gods, however, as oshikko is the ultimate form of misogi.

Drew

Steve Kubien
09-15-2004, 07:07 AM
Oh great! So now my Sensai (who holds advanced black belts in aikido AND karate AND jodo) will surely pummel me into something resembling old coffee grounds! :uch:

Thanks,
Steve Kubien