PDA

View Full Version : Aloha

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jeff Baldwin
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi I'm Jeff Baldwin. I live and train on Maui at the Shunshinkan dojo. My Teachers are Suzuki Sensei and Curtis Sensei. I've been reading this nice forum for about a month or so and though I would say hi.

If you're ever on Maui please stop by our dojo. We are always glad to have visitors.

akiy
09-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi Jeff,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction. I appreciate the invitation as well! Hope to make it to Hawaii again one of these years...

-- Jun

Jeff Baldwin
09-13-2004, 12:30 AM
I always try my best to help out any one who comes to our island. Having been born here I can usually give useful tips to travlers when they are here and am always happy to extend every bit of help to any Aikido student. The one thing I'd say up front is that if you come to maui and don't bring a gi you're missing out....of course in a pinch I can usually dig up an extra one.

Tatiana
09-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Hello Jeff!
I've always wnted to go to Hawaai, , but I'd never thought of training there for a periond... You know? It sounds like a good idea!!! Hawaai here I come!!!! Wait for meeeee.....!!!!! LOL :D Welcome to the forum, I hope that you find it as useful as I have! ;)

Greetings from Brazil
(if ever around, please feel free to visit our dojo too! Dojo Lenwakan, In São Paulo, S.P!!!!) ;)

Lan Powers
09-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Hello Jeff
Welcome....I have a friend who's estranged father is supposed to be an aikido teacher in hawaii (somewhere) You ever hear of a Heina-Sensei? Just wondering..anyone else?
Lan

Jeff Baldwin
09-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Hello Jeff
Welcome....I have a friend who's estranged father is supposed to be an aikido teacher in hawaii (somewhere) You ever hear of a Heina-Sensei? Just wondering..anyone else?
Lan

No I'm sorry I don't know who that is. Most likely on another island as there are no other Aikido dojos on Maui not affiliated with our school that I know of.

Inter island travel can be a little difficult at times. A round trip ticket to the neighbor islands is a bit over $200. Unless you get it in a package deal when you book a flight. There are two new smaller airlines starting up soon though so I expect to see a price reduction soon.

Just a bit for travelers:
There are a few places here you can stay that are a bit more modest in price around $40 a night, or you can go to a 5 star resort and spend $300 to $500 a night. There is some selection in between as well. I guess it depends on if you insist that you stay on the beach here. Personally I've always been happy to just have a clean place to sleep ($40 room) and go exploring the rest of the time. Most people will rent a car when they get here anyway so you can go to any beach you'd like. There is a lack of public transportation, but it is pretty easy to find your way around.

West coast airfare can be about $325 for a round trip LA to Maui.

There are also some cheaper places to rent cars then Budget or Hertz etc...you get a bit of an older car, and with it the possibility of it being a little funky...you might bring a cell phone if you rent one of those.

Greg Jennings
09-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi Jeff,

If you are ever in Honolulu, please give Moriyama Sensei my regards.

Best,