PDA

View Full Version : To Every Aiki-Lover

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Can Nguyen
09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Hello,
I am Can Nguyen; I practiced Aikido for so long, back in the late 1960. It is just off and on because of life and work, my knowledge about Aikido is still so limited. I am so glad to "discover" this web site, so I can learn more about Aikido from new found friends in this community.
:)

Nick Simpson
09-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Hello Can, welcome to aikiweb, enjoy your visits here :)

Greg Jennings
09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Hello Can,

Welcome to AikiWeb. Where did you train in the 60's? You might know one of my dojo mates, Tam Huynh.

Regards,

akiy
09-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi Can,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

kironin
09-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Perhaps you trained under Sensei Dang Thong Phong ?

of http://www.tenshinkai.com/history.asp

One of my students did back then briefly.

small world.

DaveO
09-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Hello Can! Welcome! :) :)

Greg Jennings
09-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Perhaps you trained under Sensei Dang Thong Phong ?

of http://www.tenshinkai.com/history.asp

One of my students did back then briefly.

small world.

Hi Craig, You might mention Tam Huynh to him...

Best,

Can Nguyen
09-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Thank-you every body, a warm welcome committee is so active in here. It made me felt like at home.
Yes, I did trained with Sensei Phong back in 68 and early 70s. We usually practiced on the second floor dojo in Saigon. I showed up every morning, started from 6:30am.
In the old day, we had hard time to learn good techniques. To compensate for a lack of the vertical depth, we had to go into the horizon path, by spent good deal of time with Judo, Shaolin, Chin Na , Tai chi …The end result, each of us developed a new denominator of Aikido form. These forms will be debunked when we face a 350lbs Uke. At that moment, we start to realize that only few of the “invented” movements can actually worked. That how I learned Aikido through trial and error.

PS: I could only remember a few names over the top of my head. It was over 30 years ago. Back then I had the book by Tohei Sensei in Vietnamese about the Ki (translated by Sensei Tri – Sensei Phong elder brother) I spent all my time to compare between the Tai-Chi Gi Cong and the unbendable arm.