PDA

View Full Version : Backhand?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

DaveO
09-05-2004, 10:09 AM
'Lo all!
I've got a quick question:
Although we don't use it in 'official' training at our dojo; I use a backhand attack frequently in private and personal training. It provides a unique energy vector to train for; quite a fun one too.
There is also of course the realism value of the backhand. :)
My question is; though out style (shin shin) doesn't use it; do any other styles have specific backhand attack that uke uses? If so; does it have a proper name in Japanese?
Thanx. :)
Cheers!
Dave

tedehara
09-05-2004, 11:13 AM
'Lo all!
I've got a quick question:
Although we don't use it in 'official' training at our dojo; I use a backhand attack frequently in private and personal training. It provides a unique energy vector to train for; quite a fun one too...Cheers!
DaveIn Ki-Aikido there is a "back hand strike" used in a kokyu nage that is normally done as a no-touch throw. Of course I was told that it was not a back hand because:

You roll the back of the hand over the uke's face, so you're leading not striking.
You want the uke to see the hand so they can react to it. A real strike is something you don't want them to see until it impacts.

If you make a mistake in the timing, it hurts as much as any strike.
:uch: Ouch!

DaveO
09-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi Ted. :)
Yes; I'm familiar with that one; sorry, I meant for an uke's attack. :)

jgros
09-05-2004, 11:30 AM
hmmmm

If you mean "backhand" like slapping somone with the back of your hand....then yes i have seen it....but not empty handed.

I have practiced where the uke will continually slash at the nage using a knife with the same hand. So after he slashes one way (forward slap), he has to slash the other (backhanded slap). As I was taught, this backhanded slap/slash is a good place for a tenkan and kotegaeshi.

As mentioned in previous posts, it really is a showy motion but good to practice none the less. :)

Devon Natario
09-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Do you mean a Uraken Uchi (Back Fist) or a back hand like a back hand slap (Hando Uchi)?

DaveO
09-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Do you mean a Uraken Uchi (Back Fist) or a back hand like a back hand slap (Hando Uchi)?

Both; depending on application. :)
Thanks for the info; Devon! :)
And thanks everyone else as well :)

Just for kicks; I practice with the backhand occasionally; I like to see what I can come up with. Ikkyo's easy; a very direct irimi and somewhat convoluted tenkan variety. Kote-gaeshi of course; kote-oroshi with a bit of a variation in there; and a fairly spiffy kokyunage if I do say so myself. ;-)

Cheers!

xuzen
09-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Dave,

In the yoshinkan style, back hand slap to the face is named gyaku yokomenuchi. We practice agaist it often, sometimes the uke holding tanto, short stick to add a 'little' bit more realism and to help us check maai. Also to remind us that sloppy techniques will cause loss of fingers he he he. Fav techniques against gyaku attack include, hijiate tenkan, hijishime irimi, ikkajo irimi, udegrami tenkan, iriminage tenkan wait, etc...

Cheers,
Boon

Nick Simpson
09-06-2004, 03:55 AM
I suppose you could redirect it past you, atemi the uke's face/whatever you want and drop the atemi hand into sumiotoshi?

DGregory
09-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Backhands (like uppercuts) are a standard part of Nihon Goshin Aikido training. They add a different vector from other attacks -- circular but different from yokomen-type attacks, for example. But NGA is sui generis. As for a Japanese name, I have no idea.

In application, Ikkyo variants are usually pretty effective from backhands, as are kote gaeshi, irimi nage, etc. More or less, techniques that would be applied from shomen or tsuki. The dynamics are more like defending from yokomen, though, because of the circular nature of the attack. Enter deep towards the shoulder of the attacking hand and good things usually happen. It's often possible to just slip behind uke.

Chad Sloman
09-06-2004, 03:52 PM
I used the back fist like a jab in Yoshukai Karate, I found it very effective, fast and versitile. I find it pretty useful for atemi waza, theoretically if you hit your target correctly (top two knuckles to the temple) it can KO somebody. At least I know it hurts and gets someone's attention.

Lyle Laizure
09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't understand why anyone would limit the type of attacks you would train with.