PDA

View Full Version : Getting Associated

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Robert Townson
08-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if I could pick your brains.

I am a member of a small dojo of approximately 14 people based in South Manchester in the UK. We are independent dojo, but my sensei(s) has mention that he would like to become part of an association.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with joining an association within the UK and if there are any constraints or criteria to join.
Also if anyone can suggest any good ones to join and/or possibly suggest ones to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

David Humm
08-26-2004, 01:58 AM
Hi Robert

One of the more simplest options would be to choose an organisation that you've previously had contact with through seminars etc, and appoach them with a view to joining as a dojo.

Most of the bigger organisations within the UK will consider membership from either individuals or entire dojo.

One of the things to consider however is the "style" of aikido that you guys currently practice, in joining an organisation, you'd be best attempting to find one that matches your current style otherwise, there may be some retraining to bring your dojo in to line with that of the organisation you wish to join.

Another consideration is do you want membership of what could amount to an independent organisation or, perhaps to one of the (handful) of organisations that have an hombu affiliation.

The upside of hombu affiliation is that your future certification and training stems for the source of your chosen style, the down side is that there most proberbly would be a need to retake your last gradings to enable certification at your entry point, unless of course you guys didn't mind waiting until such time that you would take your next respective grades.

Kind regards

markwalsh
08-26-2004, 03:20 AM
Joining an organization brings many advantages.

Which one to join? What is your style and who do you respect? Perhaps train at a few schools/seminars to feel them out?
The four Aikikai Hombu recognized organizations in this country that I know of are:

BAF - Kanetsuka Shihan, technical director.
UKA - William Smith Shihan and Sensei G Jones,
Komyokan Aikido Association - Terry Ezra Sensei.
BA - Senior students of Chiba Shihan.

All four have excellent teachers and schools near Manchester (see BAB site).
I am a member of the UKA and several clubs have affiliated recently so it is definitely possible. I have passed your info req onto one of them who may be able to help.

Be well,

Mark

Yann Golanski
08-26-2004, 03:36 AM
Cannot add much more to that debate... Only ask yourself the question: why do you want to join an organisation? Is it to get access to senior teachers? Insurence (but you already have that, right?)? Gradings for your sensei? ...

Of course, it depends on which style you do. Shodokan are respresented within the BAA. See the BAB sile for the "far too many" list of organisations.

ian
08-26-2004, 04:27 AM
Join a similar association with local clubs who have compatible styles (not necessarily similar - you want to learn something new!) - it is likely you will train regularly with clubs in your affiliation.

Robert Townson
08-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will relay this on to me sensei(s).

Daniel-san
08-29-2004, 06:46 AM
UKA! William Smith and Gordon Jones! Though I am slightly biased as I am a part of the UKA myself *Chuckles*

markwalsh
08-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Hi Daniel, there was a really nice couple from your dojo at Summer School this year.

Mark

batemanb
08-30-2004, 02:34 AM
You`re in Manchester. Whilst we are not Aikikai Hombu affiliated, the Lancashire Aikikai lineage is from Abe Sensei and Chiba Sensei. we have a number of clubs in and around the Manchester area, if you want to e-mail me off line, I can make some further enquiries for you.

Regards

Bryan