PDA

View Full Version : Children and Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kenn
08-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Hello all, I was wondering what you thought about my 10 year old son studying Aikido with me. Keep in mind there is no dedicated childrens class taught at my dojo

giriasis
08-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Have you spoken to your sensei about this? I know some schools will let someone young join in with the adult class, but it's a case by case basis.

If you have any questions about a child's ability to learn aikido, it's very possible so don't let the naysayers discourage you.

Kenn
08-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I have discussed it with him and seems ok with it. I worry a bit about his size though. also, do you have an instant messenger service on your computer so we might chat about this?

Devon Natario
08-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I think a ten year old is fine to teach. Honestly, I teach basic movements to my little nephew that is 3 years old. I guess it all depends on the child.

I have taught him the series and he knows them. Im not saying he does them correctly, but he does the basic movement of it, and knows the name. Its funny to watch a child do it.

I should tape it and put it up on the net cause I know it looks hilarious. Im sure he has no idea what hes doing, but he has fun "thinking" he's controlling me around with moves ive taught him.