PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Canuck

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Steve Kubien
08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Hello everybody,

My name is Steve Kubien and I have just signed up to begin aikido at the Renseikan Dojo in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. I went looking on the web for information about aikido and found these pages.

I have zero martial arts experience but I have been interested for years. My 4 year old daughter wanted to learn karate and it turns out our sensei (Ward Jardine) instructs karate, aikido and Jodi. Aikido interests me so...here I am! Marissa (my daughter) may end up studying aikido as she gets older but for now, the social interaction, physical fitness, discipline and self-defense skills are more important than which art she learns.

Personally, I am 33 years old and badly out of shape. I know aikido will help with the second part of that. Outside of the physical benefits of aikido (better fitness, ability to defend myself and others etc) I would like to gain better self-control, a better method of dealing with stress, and a form of spirituality I can believe in and practise. I know Sensei Jardine and the other aikidoka (I hope I've got that right!) will be a source of guidance for me on this path.

I have a question for the masses....When I write like this, I wish to do so in proper form. Is it proper to capitalize "aikido" and "sensei" and other such things? I am very respectful of such etiquette's and customs and I have no wish to offend anyone. Thanks.

I look forward to this journey,

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

akiy
08-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction.

As far as capitalizing "aikido" and "sensei," I personally don't.

-- Jun

suren
08-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi Steve,

Outside of the physical benefits of aikido (better fitness, ability to defend myself and others etc) I would like to gain better self-control, a better method of dealing with stress, and a form of spirituality I can believe in and practise.

I'm sure you will find everything you are looking for and maybe even more. That's from my personal short experience.

When I write like this, I wish to do so in proper form. Is it proper to capitalize "aikido" and "sensei" and other such things? I am very respectful of such etiquette's and customs and I have no wish to offend anyone.

I'm sure that does not matter. And BTW, while practicing, be practical and do not allow some beliefs like "this can be considered as being unrespectful" to prevent your learning. As an example, in the beginning I was concerned about moving to a place where I can see how technique is done better and I thought it would be rude to do that while sensei is performing it. But in reality the only way you can show your respect to the teacher is by learning well. That's what makes my teacher really happy.

Best wishes,
Suren.

Tatiana
08-25-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi Steve...
Just a small push in the right direction... I don`t know if they`ve answered your questions yet, but Sensei is a title, so yes, it is spelt with a Capital letter... As far as i`ve been told.... ;) would like to ask you a teeny favor... I live in Brazil, Sao Paulo, but soon I will be moving to Morden, Close to Winnipeg, Is there anyway of asking your Sensei if they have Aikido there (my question mark isn`t coming out... :disgust: ). I am 5th Kyu, or white belt... I would like to ask another question.. Here, we go by coloured belts, first white, then yellow, then purple, and so on till the black belt... Do they go by Kyu, or coloured belts up there (question mark.... *sigh*). Oh.. I`ve done all this talking, and you don`t know who I am... My name is Tatiana, and I`m 14 years old.... Just started Aikido myself... :D much fun, I must say!!! ;) Well, thanks for your time!!!

Tat

Hello everybody,

My name is Steve Kubien and I have just signed up to begin aikido at the Renseikan Dojo in Pickering, Ontario, Canada. I went looking on the web for information about aikido and found these pages.

I have zero martial arts experience but I have been interested for years. My 4 year old daughter wanted to learn karate and it turns out our sensei (Ward Jardine) instructs karate, aikido and Jodi. Aikido interests me so...here I am! Marissa (my daughter) may end up studying aikido as she gets older but for now, the social interaction, physical fitness, discipline and self-defense skills are more important than which art she learns.

Personally, I am 33 years old and badly out of shape. I know aikido will help with the second part of that. Outside of the physical benefits of aikido (better fitness, ability to defend myself and others etc) I would like to gain better self-control, a better method of dealing with stress, and a form of spirituality I can believe in and practise. I know Sensei Jardine and the other aikidoka (I hope I've got that right!) will be a source of guidance for me on this path.

I have a question for the masses....When I write like this, I wish to do so in proper form. Is it proper to capitalize "aikido" and "sensei" and other such things? I am very respectful of such etiquette's and customs and I have no wish to offend anyone. Thanks.

I look forward to this journey,

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

maikerus
08-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to Aikido and to Aikiweb. Please say "hello" to Ward Jardine for me. We trained together for a short while a very long time ago. He started at my old dojo around the time I came to Japan.

cheers,

--Michael

maikerus
08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
As an example, in the beginning I was concerned about moving to a place where I can see how technique is done better and I thought it would be rude to do that while sensei is performing it.

Hi Suren,

This might not be the right forum for it, but I had to jump in. I would suggest that moving to a place where you can see how the technique is done is disrespectful unless the instructor invites the students to move.

This might be a Yoshinkan thing, but since Steve is training at an IYAF registered dojo it's worth mentioning.

I say this for two reasons.

1. If the instructor is already starting the technique and demonstrating then moving around shows disrespect because you are not listening or watching. If your instructor knows what he or she is doing then they will probably change their angle of the technique or where they start from so that everyone can see everything after 2 or 3 repetitions. Trust them to teach.

2. You will not be able to see every part of the technique from any single place on the mat which means that to "see how the technique is done" would mean you would have to move from place to place throughout the technique.

Just for the record, when I'm teaching I will sometimes I'll show a technique from two or three different angles and sometimes I'll ask that the students move (or stand up and move closer) to better see what point I'm trying to make. I find a mixture of the two works for various reasons.

Steve...don't mean to scare you off, but if you have any Yoshinkan Hombu teachers come and teach a clinic and you move around while they are explaining something, they'll ignore you. There are also some really, really good, high-level, brilliant, non-Japanese instructors who would decide you weren't interested in learning if you did this without being invited to.

As Suren said, the best way to show respect is to learn and the best way to learn is by watching closely, listening and showing undivided attention.

Trust me on this one. I've been taught by them for years. And I've even accidently moved, looked at the clock or somehow else lost my focus during class. The consequences weren't pleasant.

Of course, it all depends on the dojo, but when attending seminars or clinics make sure you talk to someone who's been to them before to see if there are any important things that are different from the way you train at your own dojo that you should know about. Another source of information would be the uke who is travelling with the instructor or people from the host dojo.

Sorry for getting off track, but in the interests of making sure there was no faux pas at an IYAF clinic I really wanted to jump in on this one.

cheers,

--Michael

suren
08-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Michael,

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating it a little bit, but that was a good example how some beliefs can prevent your progress.
When I finish my last technique in a place where I can't see the technique performed I run to the place where most of people are gathered. I usually get there before sensei starts his technique, but sometimes I have to move after that (I try to do that as invisible as I can). Sometimes teacher asks us to gather and wait for us so that everyone can see. But if someone happens to move while he shows the technique that would not considered as offence if your move is reasonable.
I'm in Iwama style and that maybe style specific or dojo specific. But I'm pretty sure that if your wrong beliefs or fears stand on your way, just wipe them up and move on.

Best wishes,
Suren.

suren
08-26-2004, 12:12 PM
I don`t know if they`ve answered your questions yet, but Sensei is a title, so yes, it is spelt with a Capital letter... As far as i`ve been told....

To the best of my knowledge Sensei in Japanese means teacher and as far as I know teaches is not a title, it's a name of profession like lawyer or engineer. So I'm not sure if that should be capitalized, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Ron Tisdale
08-26-2004, 12:41 PM
And I've even accidently moved, looked at the clock...

Yep, that looking at the clock thingy is a definate no-no...I've known certain classes to go as much as an hour longer, and MUCH harder, 'cause people were doing that. Not a good idea...

Ron

kironin
08-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Steve...
I live in Brazil, Sao Paulo, but soon I will be moving to Morden, Close to Winnipeg,
Tat

Tat,

check here for Aikido in Winnipeg.

http://members.shaw.ca/kiaikido/index.html

Craig
HKS

:)

maikerus
08-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Michael,

But I'm pretty sure that if your wrong beliefs or fears stand on your way, just wipe them up and move on.

Hi Suren,

I agree with you completely here. I just didn't like the example you chose mainly because of my own experiences at the Yoshinkan Hombu.

Another, kind of similar, thing they would nail us for would be for looking at the person translating for the teacher, rather than at the teacher themselves during the translation.

cheers,

--Michael

Tatiana
08-26-2004, 09:31 PM
To the best of my knowledge Sensei in Japanese means teacher and as far as I know teaches is not a title, it's a name of profession like lawyer or engineer. So I'm not sure if that should be capitalized, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Sure... Ok, I know Sensei is a profision in Jap. But when you're in class and you call "Teacher...!" Teacher would be a title, right? err.. Bear me on this one... I don't go to school, I'm a home schooler, and I'm only 14, so I learn new things every day.. It can be Dojo related too.. right? I mean... If the Sensei thinks it's correct to use it as a title, then.. There's not mech you can do... Or am I wrong?? I would like correcting on this, as I'm still 5th kyu (is that with a capitle??) and might be doing my exam in 3 weeks time... So any help is welcome.. Thanks... :)

Tatiana
08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Yep, that looking at the clock thingy is a definate no-no...I've known certain classes to go as much as an hour longer, and MUCH harder, 'cause people were doing that. Not a good idea...

Ron

Depends on Your Sensei, I think... ours only carries on longer if he thinks we're enjoying our training session, but if we're looking all tiered and worn out, he'll let us off earlier... He's really nice, some times we're even allowed to call him Roberto, instead of Sensei... I call him sensei all the time, even out of the dojo (I live across the road from the dojo, and his son has a vet in front of the dojo... :D ), 'cause I got used to it.. Couldn't call him anything else if I wanted to.. LOL! :D

Tatiana
08-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Tat,

check here for Aikido in Winnipeg.

http://members.shaw.ca/kiaikido/index.html

Craig
HKS

:)

Thanks Craig!!!
I went into their site.... Nice to have the info already.... I just wish they had an e-mail addy... :( But thanks a stack, really, helped a ton!!! Can I thank you again?? LOL :D