PDA

View Full Version : Good Quotes?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jeff Stallard
08-19-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm sort of a collector of quotations, but I only write down those that have a profound affect on me. I'd like to, some day, put together a book of them (like "Albert Hubbard's Scrapbook"). Does anyone have any favorite quotes they'd like to share?

I'll start us off with a few.

"What is the ultimate truth about ourselves? Various answers suggest themselves. We are a bit of stellar matter gone wrong. We are physical machinery - puppets that strut and talk and laugh and die as the hand of time pull the strings beneath. But here is one elementary inescapable answer. We are that which asks the question. Whatever else there may be in our nature, responsibility towards truth is one of its attributes."

Here's one that makes me think of Aikido.

"The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it."

Jill N
08-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Another one that relates to aikido: My dad used to say: "You can't push a man towards you."

e ya later
Jill.

The Molinjir
08-20-2004, 10:18 AM
If goofy quotes are allowed, here is one from my sensei, on the subject of getting bruised due to not focusing during breakfalling.

"If you don't focus today, you will certainly focus tomorrow"

"Bruises teach quickly"

Jeff Stallard
08-20-2004, 12:48 PM
"We acquire a sense of self worth either by realizing our talents, or by keeping busy or by identifying ourselves with something apart from us - be it a cause, a leader, a group, possessions or whatnot. The path to self realization is the most difficult. Similarly, we have more faith in what we imitate than in what we originate. We cannot derive an absolute certitude from anything which has its roots in us. The most poignant sense of insecurity comes from standing alone and we are not alone when we imitate. It is thus with
most of us; we are what other people say we are. We know ourselves chiefly by hearsay."

jacob wood
08-20-2004, 09:45 PM
"knowledge speaks, wisdom listens."
-Jimi Hendrix :cool:

Don_Modesto
08-20-2004, 10:34 PM
"Every half-educated man ought to read a book of quotations."
Winston Churchill

(in Peter's Book of Quotations)

maikerus
08-20-2004, 10:53 PM
"That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

I have no idea where this came from. I say it alot though, usually when dragging myself off the mat.

--Michael

xuzen
08-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Black cat or white cat, what does it matter as long as it catches the mice - Deng Xiaoping or Mao zedong.
:D

Lyle Laizure
08-21-2004, 12:06 AM
"It doesn't matter how many times you fall as long as you get up once more."
"Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Bronson
08-21-2004, 01:23 AM
"Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch what itches." From a sign on the wall of Applebee's Restaurant

"When you're young you think you are invincible and you know everything. Then sometime usually during your late 20's you wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night and realize you're an asshole!" From the Dropkick Murphy's website

Bronson

Jeff Stallard
08-21-2004, 08:34 AM
"However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names."

jacob wood
08-22-2004, 12:47 AM
"It is not for the man who is buckling his armor to boast as though he were taking ig off"
-kings 20:11

Jeff Stallard
08-22-2004, 06:34 AM
"It is not for the man who is buckling his armor to boast as though he were taking ig off"
-kings 20:11

Nice! That's going in my collection.

"In any weather, at any hour of the day or night, I have been anxious to improve the nick of time, and notch it on my stick too; to stand on the meeting of two eternities, the past and the future, which is precisely the present moment; to toe that line."

Joezer M.
08-23-2004, 02:28 AM
This is actually somebody else's sig (can't remember if it's exactly like this)... but I just loved it... :D Anybody know whose this is?

Aikido is the art of hitting your opponent with the planet.

Sorry if broke any copyrights...

Regards,
Joezer

Thomas Ambrose
08-23-2004, 04:42 AM
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
-Salvor Hardin, from Isaac Asimov's Foundation-

One of my favorites... true on MANY different levels... Created my Isaac Asimov, who IMHO is the greatest sci-fi author this planet has EVER seen.

Also, for Joezer Mandagi: Here is the version of that quote I have seen. I tried to google it once, to see if I could find the author and failed.

"When I need to, I hit people with the largest weapon I can find: the Earth."

Chris Bull
08-23-2004, 03:02 PM
"When I need to, I hit people with the largest weapon I can find: the Earth."

I heard that that quote was from Jigaro Kano, but I'm not sure about it.

John Boswell
08-23-2004, 04:53 PM
What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Fred was pretty out there... but he was definitly on to something when he wrote that.

Aside from my signature quote, which is mine personally and I'm very fond/proud of, I also like this quote:
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just heard is not what I meant." Anonymous

Domo! :D

Neil Mick
08-23-2004, 09:42 PM
"The Contra's are the moral equal of our Founding Fathers."

--Ronald Reagon

Cracks me up every time.

Joezer M.
08-23-2004, 10:56 PM
To Thomas Ambrose and Chris Bull: Thanks :D

Another quote I like, by Adlai Stevenson:

We travel together, passengers on a little spaceship, dependent on it's vulnerable reserves of air and soil, all committed, for our safety, to it's security and peace. Preserved from annihilation only by the care, the work and the love we give our fragile craft.

Regards,
Joezer

xuzen
08-28-2004, 12:08 AM
When enticing your enemy to attack, act like a coy virgin;
When attacking, sprung surprise like a hare escaping from a cage.
- Sun Zi Ping Fa (Sun Zi's Art of War)

senseimike
08-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Instead of complaining that my rose bush has thorns, I'm going to marvel at the fact that my thorn bush has grown a rose.

don't know who said this, but saw it on a sign in a friend's bathroom....

Jeff Stallard
08-30-2004, 08:30 AM
"More than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

stoker
08-30-2004, 03:40 PM
"That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

I have no idea where this came from. I say it alot though, usually when dragging myself off the mat.

For the grumpy among us, I submit the following version:

"That which does not kill me just pisses me off!!!"

:grr:

billybob
08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
'that which does not.....................' nietsche. you know, hitler's favorite philosopher

darn. all my quotes are too off color for this forum. more later

billybob

stuartjvnorton
08-31-2004, 09:11 PM
"Cultivate your spirit silently never forgetting you are but a fool" from a peom by Saikontan
"Master is student, student is master" my sensei in Brisbane attributes it to Shioda Kancho.

Richard Elliott
08-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Like a eunuch longing to take a girl's virginity so is he who uses force to argue cases. --- from the apocryphal Ecclesiasticus Ch. 20 v.4.

Jeff Stallard
09-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Here's a humorous one for you:

"God is dead." -Nietzche
"Neitzche is dead." -God

Christy S
09-04-2004, 10:09 PM
"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it" -unknown but very aiki principle

Suru
09-07-2004, 05:41 PM
"The good guys don't hide."

Det. Preston (Poitier)---"The Jackal"

Drew

thomas_dixon
09-08-2004, 08:37 AM
"The sword that strikes down evil is a sword that gives life."
--I think it's from Bushido

"You only fail when you stop trying"
Unkown

"Face a man to certain death and he is sure to prevail"
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Humorous:

"Hiten Mitsurugi Styl Ryu Sou Sen!"
--Kenshin...yeah..i love that series, that i do.

"Procrastination is like masturbation, it feels great at first, but in the end you're just screwing yourself."
--Unknown

Bronson
09-09-2004, 01:25 AM
From a friends email signature:

"Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life."

Bronson

solidsteven
09-17-2004, 12:29 PM
humans are the only animals that call them self humans

-unknown

Dave603
09-19-2004, 01:06 AM
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men; for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it reality." -- T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) from The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

thomas_dixon
09-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Humorous...and real:

"The stuff on the discovery channel isn't real!"
--My Mom.

Aikidoiain
09-19-2004, 05:45 PM
This is one that I actually came up with, though it's probably been said before - and phrased better too! I use it as my signature.

"There is no end - only more beginnings"
(I.J.SMITH)

Hope you like that.
Iain . :ki: :)

thomas_dixon
09-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Reminds me of a more pessimistic quote...

"Don't confuse the end of your life with the beginning of mine."

Aikidoiain
09-19-2004, 06:42 PM
That's not what it means at all!

It was a phrase I used regarding the issue of what happens after someone receives their first black belt. It simply means - "the more you know - the more you need to learn."

Iain. :ki: :D

Jim ashby
09-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Doing a technique fast is the same as doing it slow.........................only speeded up.

p00kiethebear
09-21-2004, 04:09 AM
"
And Jesus said unto them, "And whom do you say that I am?"

They replied, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of the context of our very selfhood revealed."

And Jesus replied, "What?"
"
I know this sounds funny at first, but after re-reading this and spending much of the last 4 years studying religions, eastern and western, it has become an extremely important one to me.