PDA

View Full Version : Exit Wounds

Please visit our sponsor:

Magma
03-06-2001, 03:08 PM
Just thought I'd open a thread for Seagal's upcoming movie release "Exit Wounds." We can post what we all think it will be like, and later post our reviews after we've seen it... because let's face it: we're all going to see it. (Well, if you consider yourself any kind of regular movie goer you'll see it. I know some people won't see it because they don't catch any movies but...)

Erik
03-06-2001, 03:14 PM
If you just can't wait, the trailer can be found here...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-10000148/multimedia.php

Erik
03-13-2001, 04:13 PM
Found at http://www.film.com.

Meanwhile, expect to see far less of Steven Seagal when his film Exit Wounds opens this weekend. The Post writes that Seagal was ordered to lose weight (and his silly trademark ponytail) for the film by studio executives, who hope Exit Wounds will be something of a comeback for him. "We believe there is a tremendous reservoir of good will toward Steven," Warners exec Lorenzo di Bonaventura told Variety recently, "which we can access if we put him in a movie that represents him the way the public wants to see him." Meaning, without the flab and without the ponytail. Stay tuned.

paul spawforth
03-17-2001, 01:05 PM
I just hope there's some aikido in it, cos lets face it he's a s*!t actor!!!!
the patriot which i think was his last movie (i may be wrong) was so boring i turned it off after about 20 minutes!!!

all that said, i personally don't think it will be up to much, but hey!! life is full of surprises!!!

Paul
England.

Nick
03-17-2001, 03:01 PM
I don't think Seagal was in the Patriot-- That was Mel Gibson, though I believe he had a ponytail so that may have confused you ;)... The Patriot was ok, woulod have been much less successful if it had been opened any other weekend (was opened on July 4th)... it was a lot like Braveheart, but with guns... Mel Gibson takes on the British, loses family members, and gets that crazy "you're gonna die now" look on his face-- I liked Braveheart better :-).

As for Seagal's movie, you never really know-- it may suck, but I'll probably end up seeing it anyways...

Nick

Dan Hover
03-17-2001, 05:05 PM
Seagal was in the Patriot, it was a made for HBO movie, that he and Julius Nasso produced, No one else would buy it, so HBO picked it up. He plays an ex CIA agent turned Veterarnian (Like an Elvis movie role, extrapeze artist turned Cliff diver, who also plays the guitar) who has to battle the "evil Militia". Not to be confused with the Patriot, where Mel Gibson who plays a southern farmer who ironically enough owns no slaves. And the african americans he does "have" are all tenet farmers. Hollywood 1 History 0

mornmd
03-17-2001, 05:34 PM
and there was little aikido in it-mostly nonsense about germ warfare. In the new pic, I hope that he shows the style of his Tenshin Ryu Aikido without tired old tricks like funny camera angles and speeding up the moves.

In the Glimmer Man, they had him face off against a Tae Kwan Do expert, and the fight was impossible to follow because of these camera ploys and stand ins. He is pretty good with a Katanna though, and it would be nice to see more of that. Also, he never seems to get hit or take a fall in his movies - which takes a way from the realism. Maybe this new pic we'll see more aikido.

Matthew

AikiTom
03-17-2001, 10:46 PM
Just a couple of comments for you nimrods above:
1) There are 2 movies named "The Patriot," and the Seagal one was shown in theaters (that's where I saw it). The post above saying it was HBO only is false.
2) Re: ponytails. Obviously you noodles weren't alive in the 60s.
3) Regarding the claim that Seagal never seems to get hit or take a fall, where have you been? Just off the top of my head, he's taken hits in "Marked for Death" (tied up in that one too), "Under Siege," "Under Siege II," and "Out for Justice." Falls in a number of them, also. Likewise in the new movie.
4) Just got back an hour ago (tonight's the 17th) from seeing "Exit Wounds," and it's a good movie. I could see a sequel or two from it also. Good characters and the script makes sense. Some good aikido-related fight scenes, and some scenes showing Seagal in humorous situations, which we haven't seen much of before, such as when he attends an anger-management class.

Good luck to you wanna-be Roger Eberts, but get it right before you write!
Peace!

mornmd
03-18-2001, 06:09 AM
comments about getting hit or taking falls. Yes it happens once in a blue moon, but Superman took more punches and falls in his movies. I'll reserve judgment until I see the new movie.

Matthew

j0nharris
03-18-2001, 01:07 PM
Also saw the movie Friday night, and found a bit more humor in it than most of his previous work, which is always nice.
My biggest complaint, and this pertains to most MA films coming out, is that the fight scenes are filmed *way* to close and you can't actually see what techniques are going on!!
We did get to see a few techniques when he was one on one, but for the randori type scenes, it was difficult to make out what he was doing.
And yes, he took a few hits this time around.

-jon

AikiTom
03-18-2001, 04:03 PM
j0nharris wrote:
My biggest complaint, and this pertains to most MA films coming out, is that the fight scenes are filmed *way* to close and you can't actually see what techniques are going on!!
-jon

Interesting, John, I mentioned the same thing to my son last night as we left the theater, too. But here's what I think the problem is, maybe it's not that the scenes are filmed too close, I think the seating is too close. We've got one of those mega-theater things where every seat is basically stadium seating so you're right there, up close and personal. I told my son when it comes out on DVD and we're at home watching that maybe we'll see some techniques better. Nevertheless, it was some good, orthodox aikido that we saw in parts of the movie, including the "sword" fighting near the end!

Magma
03-19-2001, 08:38 AM
You know what I liked and respected about this movie? There was no ego-stroking going on. From the first couple of times Steven tries to talk to - no, check that, "make speeches at" - his bosses (something his recent films are rife with), they interrupt and tell him to shut up. In other movies he would have been let loose to ramble as he dispensed the movie's moral.

And in the fight scenes he actually gets hit. Again, very cool to see a lack of ego-stroking.

Michael Jai White is great (as always) in the limited role where we get to see him, and the rest of the cast is believable and 3 dimensional.

IMO, the end was a bit contrived (everyone lives happily ever after - very deus ex machina), and the comedy often over the top. I did like the blatant anti-nod to the love interest thing, however, a movie should be able to stand on its own without boiler plate plot devices. And a Steven Seagal movie without an iriminage or kotegaeshi (besides the Patriot, which doesn't count)? What is the world coming to?

I'm trying to say what I enjoyed about it while not giving too much away for those who haven't seen it. Bottom line: it's worth seeing.

MikeE
03-19-2001, 11:00 AM
I saw it last night. I liked it. As Aikidoka we can complain about how we can't see the exact techniques and such. But, this movie is meant for the general public as a form of entertainment. Not as a training tool for the aikido savvy.

And the talk show at the end with Tom Arnold and the other guy (TK) was great.

It was nice not seeing a Seagal ego-fest.

And, it was the top grossing picture of the weekend, with box office of 20 million dollars. (I think that is about 21 million dollars more than the patriot brought in.)

chrisinbrasil
03-19-2001, 04:53 PM
Did he lose the weight? Is he the new sex symbol of the 00´s or what? :)
hahaha Since I´m in Brazil, I probably won´t see it til next month...

Gerardo A Torres
03-19-2001, 06:00 PM
I saw it on Friday, and I agree with a lot what others have said. In summary:

Good:

* Less ego
* Less weight
* Lots of humor
* Bigger, more skillful oponents
* Good supporting actors (Bill Duke, Tom Arnold)
* Seagal gets quite a few hits
* No speeches
* More action
* No Tibetan/Indian/Chinese clothing

Bad:

* Too much punching and kicking, not enough aikido (what happened to his trademark iriminage???)
* That Jet Li "anti-gravitational" kick... ohh!!!
* Camera too close on best fights --couldn't see what's Seagal doing

Can't think of anything right now. Still, as far as aikido, his best movie is "Above the Law" (hey, it got me started in aikido), and "Marked for Dead". As far as action, the "Under Siege" movies are the best, and "Exit Wounds" I guess is a decent mixture of martial arts and action, compared to his other movies.

The One
03-20-2001, 09:06 PM
I saw it friday night too. It was pretty good as far as action/martial arts/comedy. I have the same complaints that have already been stated here: the camera was too close, not enough aikido, etc.

But one thing I wanted to ask was: Does anyone remember the sword fight scene?

It went by so fast and blurry that all I can remember is them picking up some sword-looking thingies(i was pretty sure they weren't swords) and a bunch of metal clanging and someone jumping and almost doing a splits in the air. Then all of a sudden it's DMX and that other guy...

Oh well just wanted to see if anyone else felt that way about that last part.

And about Seagal's best, I saw Above the Law first but I don't remember really seeing that much aikido in it. All I seem to remember was a bunch of cussing and a not-too-interesting plot. Part of the reason I didn't see much Aikido in it could be due to the fact that I didn't know much about Aikido or its techniques back then. Anyway I thought Hard To Kill was good and Marked for DEATH(not Dead). But I think I'll see Above the Law again just to check out what all you guys are talking about.

Gerardo A Torres
03-20-2001, 11:51 PM
Yeah, that sword fight was blurry, and the angles didn't allow for much to be detailed. I noticed the guy fighting Seagal was pretty fast, even did some jumps and stuff. I guess it was more fast-paced than the sword fight with the Jamaican guy in Marked for DeaTH.

I just saw Above the Law on cable. When I saw it for the first time I didn't know aikido. Now I noticed it has lots of irimi-type movements, sankyo, kotegaeshi, and some elbow locks and kokyunage (even a two-attacker grab one). There's even some aiki-machete. Marked for Death has more aikido: he does kata-dori nikyo, a cool sankyo-into ikyo-into yonkyo, a really fast kaiten nage, and a randori. In "Out for Justice" he does a technique that I rarely see being practice anymore, a kesa-nage.

Oh, and you know what's the best thing about "Above the Law"? Sharon Stone is in it!!!

[Edited by gerardo on March 21, 2001 at 12:05am]

sceptoor
03-21-2001, 04:00 PM
I saw it Sunday afternoon and I LIKED it!!

You guys are right. The end was a little blurry but still well done. The camera angles were too close during some stuff but overall I think it was a great movie. Seagal is back!!

No more ponytail, no more cowboy boots, no more treehugging, just balls to the wall action, some humor, and a new fresh look.

Some points:

I doubt DMX could hold his own with Seagal. not realistic.
Michael Jai White is too good a martial artist to be ignored for most of the movie, but they did it anyway.
Not as much Aikido as I would have liked to see, but good to see less ego, and Seagal taking a few hits from tougher, bigger, meaner and more experienced opponents.

Welcome back Seagal!!

Jamey
03-26-2001, 12:48 AM
It would seem that many people who have seen Seagal's new movie were impressed with it or liked it some. At least those who have posted so far. I went to see it with a fellow Aikidoka when it opened in Iowa. I was disappointed by the lack of Aikido.... I mean that's why I went and so far as I could tell there were about three Aikido techniques and one was some sort of modified ikkiyo with a chair. My friend reconginized a more Jujitsu style being used by Seagal. It seemed as though this movie was homogenized into your run of the mill Hollywood martial arts. That's not to say that the moves weren't amazing or that they lacked skill, but I wanted some Aikido!

Any way that's my 2 cents.

skeet_master
04-01-2001, 10:18 AM
Hey if you guys wanna see Seagal without as much ego, rent "My Giant" I don't even remember why I rented it but he was in the film playing "himself" and actually had the balls to make fun of himself a little. So I guess he doesn't take himself as seriously as I thought. :)

As for the rest of the movie though, It was a little too dark for Billy Crystal. :)

-ethan

mornmd
04-01-2001, 01:36 PM
The movie had nonstop action, but to me was unsatisfying. First, there was no plot. Usually we get some background on Seagal's character, but here, it just started with him as a street cop. Somehow he had these great fighting skills that went unexplained. In Above The Law, at least it started out with scenes from his dojo training, so you knew where he was coming from.

Seemed that everyone in the movie, all the routine street cops had uncanny martial arts skills. The other cops and DMX. That also made it a worse movie. Superb skills are not common place. I didn't see that much aiki or blending in the fighting, but admittedly the camera work was kind of fuzzy.

I bet Seagal got pushed into making a a Hong Kong like MA movie this time around instead of one of his own. The contrived plot in Exit Wounds was kind of uninteresting - you weren't really on the edge of your seat or rooting for the home team.

M

guest1234
04-01-2001, 04:56 PM
to give a little credit to the movie in terms of the 'street cops' and their martial skill: i think it is fairly common for police forces and military groups to give at least some training in martial arts, at least pins, and so this may encourage police to investigate further...especially if they are working in a location other than Beverly Hills. And if they are willing to spend good money out of a relatively small paycheck (we are talking about folks being paid to risk their lives for Joe Citizen... the lower ranks in the military meet food stamp requirements) then police and military tend to really try to get the most from their training. You haven't ever had law enforcement folks in your dojo? I've never been in one that didn't. And last but not least, some of those kids in kids class, or teens and young adults in adult class, will actually choose to go into law enforcement.
besides, before everyone complained that Segal never went up against anyone with good martial arts skill.

mornmd
04-01-2001, 08:53 PM
I did comment that it seemed he didn't take much punishment before. Now, in Exit Wounds, it is difficult to tell Seagal's skill and technique from the cops in his precinct and other MA guys. In his other movies, when he took on six or seven guys with no training, it emphasized what aikido/his talent was. In Exit Wounds, there was some aikido, but many moves on wires and neat tricks that both he and many of the other cops and villains were doing. His training/code/budo was not mentioned in the script. So I found it to be good action entertainment, but not as compelling as some of his older movies.

M

guest1234
04-01-2001, 09:24 PM
but kind of like a class where the instructor all of a suddent starts teaching something that you're not used to seeing him do...does make you take notice....i liked the difference in how he handled the young men trying to steal his truck (in the more usual way, his skill against unskilled but multiple and potentially deadly opponents resulting in a heap of bodies), and his interaction with his more skilled 'bad guys'. I think those showed the importance of good ukemi, that it's there to save your neck and allow you to possibly take the upper hand (even if wires were used), something that i think gets overlooked too easily

MAX
04-05-2001, 10:49 PM
mornmd wrote:
and there was little aikido in it-mostly nonsense about germ warfare. In the new pic, I hope that he shows the style of his Tenshin Ryu Aikido without tired old tricks like funny camera angles and speeding up the moves.

In the Glimmer Man, they had him face off against a Tae Kwan Do expert, and the fight was impossible to follow because of these camera ploys and stand ins. He is pretty good with a Katanna though, and it would be nice to see more of that. Also, he never seems to get hit or take a fall in his movies - which takes a way from the realism. Maybe this new pic we'll see more aikido.

Matthew

MAX:

You will be happy to know that he does get some digs in this one.I was travelling in Thailand at the time and picked it up on video disc.Its not too bad ..Better that some of his work.Makes the character more realistic and not always winning everything.Still some of the action shots are filmed to fast maybe they should try mixing some of that slow mo stuff in.Oh Yeah! forgot to say that the first real fight sequence you see him do the last kick while on a wire.Seems everyone is using them now..Well i`m in Japan now and off to do some training in a couple of days so by for now..
MAX.

MAX
04-05-2001, 10:58 PM
Jamey wrote:
It would seem that many people who have seen Seagal's new movie were impressed with it or liked it some. At least those who have posted so far. I went to see it with a fellow Aikidoka when it opened in Iowa. I was disappointed by the lack of Aikido.... I mean that's why I went and so far as I could tell there were about three Aikido techniques and one was some sort of modified ikkiyo with a chair. My friend reconginized a more Jujitsu style being used by Seagal. It seemed as though this movie was homogenized into your run of the mill Hollywood martial arts. That's not to say that the moves weren't amazing or that they lacked skill, but I wanted some Aikido!

Any way that's my 2 cents.

MAX:
Yes i agree with you that I would have liked to see more Aikido in it But i have to just say that on a couple of Interviews i have seen with Seagal sensei he always says that he films are Action Films and not Martial arts films.
Thanks Max.

akiy
04-06-2001, 09:14 AM
Hi MAX,

Please be sure to sign each of your posts with your real name as it is a Forum rule. Thanks!

-- Jun