PDA

View Full Version : Hello kindred

Please visit our sponsor:

Bad_Ukemi
08-18-2004, 01:04 AM
It's nice to have you guys to talk to after a hard and bugged-out day in the lab! :freaky:
Found Aikido by wandering into sports centre after 2 years of being pretty ill :drool: , and have never felt more at home or healthy than when learning Aikido. U know when you find something and it just clicks? Except for Ukemi, but I'm working on it... :grr:
Hope to meet you all at some point!
:ai:
Kate.

Creature_of_the_id
08-18-2004, 02:52 AM
hey Kate,
glad you walked into our dojo when you did, you seem to be fitting in just fine and appear to be enjoying yourself (especially the attacking part).
Aikido has helped me immensely through my illness too, I love how I can be feeling ill all day and then step on the mat and it disappears.

See you Monday

Greg Jennings
08-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Hi Kate,

Welcome to Aikido and to AikiWeb. I'm glad that it's working for you. Persist with the ukemi. It will come in its own time.

Ohanna,

Peter Seth
08-18-2004, 06:29 AM
Hi Kate.
Nice to here you have 'discovered' Aikido. I did many, many years ago and am still going strong.
There are lots of aikido clubs/classes in the NEast and I am sure you would be welcome at all of them. Say Hi to all at your club, and enjoy!
Cheers
Peter

akiy
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Hi Kate,

Welcome, and thank youf or your introduction!

-- Jun

Bad_Ukemi
08-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Hello to all of you guys. Hope to see you soon!
Peter, do you ever come up to Newcastle to train? What are the clubs in Sunderland like? I cant get far because I don't have a car and have to beg lifts from people (: so it's hard to venture out of Newcastle.
Maybe we can all get together at the next summer schools.
Take care, and thanks for encouragement with ukemi (boy I need it...(:).
Katexx

gaigin_uk
08-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi Kate,

I too started Aikido 1 year ago after a back injury. It too haas helped me in a lot of ways. I feel that the Aikido society is very receptive to new people and i thank them all for making me feel welcome.

and hi to everyone else

Steve

Peter Seth
08-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi kate.
Not sure about classes in Ncastle? But theres one at gateshead LC I think on Thurs nights - give them a ring to confirm. Good class!
I have classes at Sunderland Uni - presently on Fri nights and sat a/noon at Crowtree LC Sland. But they do not start untill next semester about early oct. Then I will have more details. Metro link is v close to uni.

Bad_Ukemi
08-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi Pete!
Thanks for all the info. I have the good fortune to train on monday and thursday in Newcastle, and soon tuesdays too, so am set!
I hope to see you at summer schools though. Do you go to these? Next year I am hoping to go to Brussels.
Take care, and good training!
Kate

Nick Simpson
08-30-2004, 06:08 AM
Hey Kate, if you fancy "varying" your aikido experiance then come down and play with us on a friday night or saturday afternoon, If your interested I'll post when classes start again when I find out, remember were only 20 minutes away on the metro!

Peter Seth
08-31-2004, 06:06 AM
Hi Kate.
Which org do you belong to? You mention summer schools, I used to attend them a few years ago but find it difficult at the moment with training, work and other committments. Remember aikido is about harmony and 'balance' and is not just a martial art, it's principles extend to all areas of life. So remember to balance aikido with the other activities in your life.
Always welcome

PS: There is a w/end course coming up in october at Temple Park Leisure Centre, South Shields,
Terry bayliss, 7th Dan will be lead instructor. Lots of senior instructors + students, very friendly, great fun. More info soon if you are interested.
Peter

Nick Simpson
08-31-2004, 10:54 AM
"Aikido is about hitting people"

My thoughts entirely Pete!

Bad_Ukemi
09-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the offer! I am training at the moment on mon and thurs, and am away at the weekends. Shortly to train on tues too, so am really into it now (:
Kate (:

Bad_Ukemi
09-01-2004, 03:40 AM
Hi Pete:
I belong to DAN association and train with Sensei Robertson. I really love it, and all the guys. They're great!
Kate (:

Bad_Ukemi
09-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Nick,

...with their own attacks? Lol!
Kate

Creature_of_the_id
09-01-2004, 04:29 AM
Pete,
you may know DAN as the UKAU, led by Sensei John Emmerson.

Nick Simpson
09-01-2004, 04:35 AM
Oh yeah, I think you guys have a class down the road from me on a thursday night, been meaning to pop in for some time but you know how things get! Hehe, hitting people with their attacks is a good idea Kate, but It's generally easier, I find, to hit them with your own ;)

Bad_Ukemi
09-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey Nick,
I am not aggressive, Creature will tell you that! Lol.

Nick Simpson
09-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Well Kate, Im sure your sempai will sort that out for you :D

Peter Seth
09-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi Kev.
Know Keith well, trained with him for years - your lucky! Trained under Mr E for 6 years got my shodan from him - seems/was an age ago. Moved on.
pete

Creature_of_the_id
09-01-2004, 07:50 AM
yeah :) I thought i recognised your name.

Cleetus
09-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Kate, welcome to the world of aikido. And from someone who is not natural a at ukemi (nick will confirm this) it comes along in time, just be patient. Also as Pete and Nick have said anytime you are near Sunderland on a Friday or Saturday feel free to come along and train with us.

Bad_Ukemi
09-02-2004, 03:33 AM
Hi Cleetus,
That's very kind of you! Am feeling a little bit more at ease with Ukemi now, but will keep my username forever!
Kate (:

Nick Simpson
09-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Glad to hear your easing into ukemi a bit more now, In my experiance it generally becomes the most fun part of training, even when you mess it up :) just relax and have fun and you'll be good to go.

markwalsh
09-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi folks,

Are any of you going to the White Rose course near Leeds coming up? Are there any details on line?
Cheers,

Southern softy,
Mark

Nick Simpson
09-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Hi Mark, yeah theres about 10 of us heading down to Dewsbury for the course, its going to be a great day of training. Heres some details for you:

The date is saturday the 11th of september at dewsbury sports centre, I believe the course will either start at 10am or 11am and will probably go onto about 4 or 5pm.
Mr William Smith Shihan, Mr Terry Bayliss Shihan and Mr Vincent Thompson 7th Dan have all confirmed their attendance. If time permits Sensei Riley may teach.
The course fee will be £15.00 and will include a momento of the Anniversary celebration.

If you want to know more then send me a PM :)

Cleetus
09-02-2004, 02:40 PM
I just saw a poster for the white rose course and it i remember it correctly it starts at 10.30 and goes on until about 4.30. If this is wrong feel free to correct me.

Bad_Ukemi
09-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Cheers Nick! Am having lots of fun! Still end up flat with arms and legs everywhere, but maybe this is a good precursor to breakfalling...
Kate (:

Cleetus
09-03-2004, 04:59 AM
don't worry about breakfalling intially. It takes a while to breakfall properly even i am not fully able to it. It takes time don't do it until you are comfortable with ukemi and are ready otherwise you are likely to hurt yourself. Just remember to have fun and enjoy yourself when doing aikido.

Nick Simpson
09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
If you know it starts at 10:30 then why are you always bugging me for the start time Cleetus????
Well, it sounds like your going well at the falls Kate, maybe if we see you at a course or summer school in the future then you'll be flying all over!

Bad_Ukemi
09-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Hee hee. Flykido.

Nick Simpson
09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Tobu Ukemi is the only way to fly!

Benjim
09-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Fancy seeing Newcastle Dojo people here.

Truly a small world! ;)

Creature_of_the_id
09-22-2004, 08:13 AM
:D
Hi Ben
glad you could join us.
see you tomorrow at Eldon Square?

Benjim
09-22-2004, 08:15 AM
see you tomorrow at Eldon Square?

I'll be there! :)

Bad_Ukemi
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Benjamin! Nice to see you again. At least you not dead (:
Bad Ukemixxxx

Bad_Ukemi
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Nick what's Tobu Ukemi?
(:

Bad_Ukemi
09-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Now I am learning to fly. Me good. Me angel :rolleyes:

Nick Simpson
10-01-2004, 07:05 AM
I believe Tobu Ukemi translates as Quick Ukemi, meaning the flip breakfall. Now angels would have a great advantage at aikido, theres an idea!

Bad_Ukemi
01-13-2005, 05:23 AM
Happy Birthday! :)
Kate xx

Nick Simpson
01-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Aaaw, thanks kate! :)
Im ice skating later so we shall see if the breakfalls help any...

Ali B
01-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi guys,

Many moons ago, I used to drive down to Newcastle & South Shields for courses with UKAU and Sensei Emmerson. I was a Student of Chris Liddell at the time, Kieth and Tony were there as were many others who's names are gone now. I have moved around so much.

Ah the good old days.... Memories... LaLaLa :D

Love and Light
Ali

Nick Simpson
01-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Ah, its a small world eh? I didnt fall down once this time, though I did have some much needed assistance!