PDA

View Full Version : Ukemi for a beginner, hard map.

Please visit our sponsor:

The Molinjir
08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I have just started Aikido.

I happen to be, a kid, but I am very tall, so I managed to get into an adult class, where the sensei is very nice, and the whole atmosphere is wonderful.

My only issue lies in rolls. A while ago, I broke my wrist, doing something resembling a forward roll doing a little stunt for a friend.

Now, I am on a VERY hard mat, a good deal harder (I think) than most mats, not resembling gymnastic, or wrestling mats.

The forward breakfall on the wrist that was not injured holds up fine, excepting the occasional bruise if I land incorrectly.
The other wrist, which is now fully healed, but was once broken, crumples as soon as I begin the roll. It is certainly not lack of arm strength, because I took special pains to re-strengthen the wrist.

It is my belief that it is some sort of sub-conscious reaction, due to the earlier injury. If so, how can i get over it?
The map seems a bit hard for experimenting, and I have nothing to practice on at home.

Thanks in advance,

~Molinjir

ruthmc
08-17-2004, 02:44 AM
My only issue lies in rolls. A while ago, I broke my wrist, doing something resembling a forward roll doing a little stunt for a friend.

The other wrist, which is now fully healed, but was once broken, crumples as soon as I begin the roll. It is certainly not lack of arm strength, because I took special pains to re-strengthen the wrist.

It is my belief that it is some sort of sub-conscious reaction, due to the earlier injury. If so, how can i get over it?

I agree - it's some kind of mental block you have with the wrist during rolling. One suggestion is to wear a support bandage (the kind with a metal band that stops your wrist bending) or a skating wrist guard (also stops the wrist bending) during your rolling practise. This will keep your wrist from crumpling - it physically won't be abe to - and you will get used to rolling with your wrist in the correct position.

Explain to your sensei what you are doing, and don't wear the wrist support during the rest of your class.

Have fun learning to roll!

Ruth

Greg Jennings
08-17-2004, 07:29 AM
FWIW, the first part of my extended arm that touches is immediatey behind my wrist. Thus, there is no tendency at all for the wrist to collapse. I teach all my students to roll that way.

Regards,

The Molinjir
08-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually managed to find a way to get them by accident. I use the *slap* for absorbing impact to help myself balance, holding it slightly longer than normal.
I managed about 100 consecutive forward rolls today, without *much* injury.