PDA

View Full Version : Origin Go Shin No kata weapons

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

L. Camejo
08-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey folks,

I was recently wondering - Exactly where did Tomiki get the concept for the particular techniques that make up the weapons work of the Go Shin No Kata (Koryu Dai San)? Especially the paired bokken kata, did it come from Koryu, modern kendo, Ueshiba M.'s Aiki-ken?

Also for the Dai San techniques using Yari against an unarmed attacker? Is the origin Koryu, modern bayonet, Aiki-Jo from Ueshiba M. or something else?

I know Tomiki was very well studied in a vast array of concepts in Japanese Budo and its history. I can see the links between the Nage and Randori no Kata in Aikido and the Judo Nage no kata and other kata. So there tends to be a link between his Aikido-based katas and other Budo who may exemplify the same concepts in a different manner. In other words, there is a logic or reasoning to the techniques shown in Tomiki's katas that can often be found in other Japanese Budo.

So I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where the weapons work in the Kory Dai San actually came from.

Onegashimasu.
LC:ai::ki:

jester
09-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Good Question.

I'll ask around and post if I find an answer.

Yann Golanski
09-17-2004, 02:34 AM
I was in Swintzerland when Nariyama-shihan taught the kumi-tachi -- the 8 bokken vs bokken techniques of the Goshin. He said that we were to do them exactly as shown and not interpret them at all since they were techniques that were passed as is from Takenda-sensei to Ueshiba-sensei. So, at least that part is very old indeed -- at least 100 years or more.

I am not sure about the rest but I have seen similar techniques in Aikikai. Then again, there's no shocker there.

L. Camejo
09-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Thanks a lot Yann, that little bit of information says a lot of important things to me. Also corroborates something Shishida Shihan was saying when he was here as well.

You've just connected some of the dots for me.

Domo Arigato.

If anyone else has info on this it will be much appreciated. I'm using this to help decide how I want to specify and tailor my future cross training to enhance my Aikido.

LC:ai::ki: