PDA

View Full Version : Fears

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

amberlee
08-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Sorry this is kind of random but what are you afraid of. It can be anything whether it has to do with training or not. I'm afraid of getting injured, clowns, oompa loompas :freaky: , and silence :eek: I have a few more but there stranger than the fear of oompa loompas :blush:

Jeff Stallard
08-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I have a fear of sharks (well...let's just say it's a healthy respect), spiders, and hmm...that's all I can think of. I guess there are the natural humans fears, like the fear of dying, fear of rejection, etc.

How does a fear of silence manifest itself? Do you talk, hum, or otherwise make noise to keep things from being silent?

amberlee
08-17-2004, 02:21 PM
I tend to blurt out the most random thing when its too quiet. I really only fear awkward silence like when peole want to say something but they don't know what so they just look around at each other. I also tend to burst out into a song :blush:

stoker
08-17-2004, 03:33 PM
I spent enought time SCUBA diving around sharks to realize that my odds of being killed by one was about the same as having Cindy Crawford abduct me for immoral reasons. And if either happened, it would probably kill me instantly.

I learned when racing bicycles that worrying about getting injured made me not concentrate on what I was doing and that was causing the injuries. Same thing in martial arts.

I do have Santa Claustraphobia -- fear of being locked in a small space with a fat man wearing a red valour suit :D

Jeff Stallard
08-19-2004, 08:38 AM
I really only fear awkward silence like when peole want to say something but they don't know what so they just look around at each other. I also tend to burst out into a song :blush:

Ha! Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. However, I hate smalltalk worse than I dislike awkward silence, so I'll usually keep my mouth shut.

It seems to me that what makes silence awkward is the feeling that you SHOULD say something, but who says you're obligated to say anything?!

Thomas Ambrose
08-23-2004, 02:37 AM
I am absolutely terrified of spiders. Not all spiders... just the gangly ones that look scary. I hate being in small enclosed spaces with lots of cobwebs... it just freaks me out, and I will keep on thinking I have spiders on me for hours afterwards.

Besides spiders, I am terrified of aliens. The classic ones with the big head and almond shaped eyes. The only times I have ever had to turn away from a movie were during "The Ring" and almost ANY alien abduction story.

Yes, I admit that makes me sound like a dork!

I hear you on the awkward silence bit though! I have a slight social-phobia I think. I am always afraid I will do something "wrong" in social situations and look like an idiot. Being new to Aikido, that is the only one that gets me so far, because I might start thinking "Am I doing this right?" or "Is my bokken pointed the right way?" and the thought will distract me and then I am MUCH more likely to mess up!

amberlee
08-24-2004, 06:32 PM
:yuck: spiders :freaky:

aikido_luver
08-24-2004, 07:11 PM
I am extremely afraid of SPIDERS AND SHARKS!!!
i think the only spiders im not afraid of are Daddy Long Legs or the tiny ones that are the size of....i cant think of anything that small at the moment :D
But anything bigger and i usually run away!!! lol, And i really really really am afraid of Sharks or mayby int's just an intense hate? Anyway i cant swim out very far in the sea (try no further then waist height!!!) :blush:
And i am afraid of Heights....(shuddder). I'm not really afraid of death I mean, everything has to die at one point....you cant cheat death, but im afraid of pain....so i think im afraid of a lot of things actually! :eek:
lol

billybob
08-31-2004, 02:07 PM
if i may, i would suggest you EAT some shark. you will still be afraid but i feel that if one ever gets me then at least i had one of them first. i wade fish in the bay. i carry a big knife, but it is to scare off some of the over-amorous locals that share my gender.

spiders scare the heck out of me. they were eate in medieval times to cure illness. (antibiotics?)
but i do not endorse this action.

i am terribly afraid that ryote mochi thing where you duck and uke rolls over you. hurts when you mess up. i hate that technique where nage body blocks your knees. criticize away - my knees only bend one way that i am comfortable with.

Aikidoiain
09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I am Agoraphobic and Sociophobic.

Agoraphobia "is the fear of being trapped in a place, environment or situation from which escape would attract attention or possibly prove dangerous". (the fear of fear itself).

Sociophobia "is the fear of being near, around or interacting with people, for fear of being judged negatively". (fear of people basically).

Iain. :ki: :)

dan guthrie
09-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Spiders: My sister caught a spider in her house and called her son, he was 4 or so. She gingerly got it to walk on a piece of paper and carried the little creature to the front door and slowly put the piece of paper on the ground. The whole time she explained to her son the value of God's creatures and the worth of even a lowly arachnid. My nephew listened to it all and walked up and stomped it flat.

I'm not afraid of spiders, I just don't like freeloaders. If you're going to live in my house, pay rent or get out.

I don't like swimming in the ocean past the surf. I've seen huge jelly fish 30 feet out. Big as beach balls and I'm not exaggerating.

jacob wood
09-19-2004, 10:31 PM
im freeze up when i see spiders. if one walks across the floor i have a sudden rush of panic. I'll stand there just staring for a minute making sure it won't move, then without taking my eyes off it i find an object and then smash it.(I can't do it with my hands and a kleenex because i hate the feel of their exoskeleton crushing under my fingers). Also the fact that we swallow on average 8 spiders a year really grosses me out.

Aikidoiain
09-20-2004, 02:58 AM
I too am terrified of those long-legged spiders - especially the way they move. Even thinking about them makes me uncomfortable.

I've been told it's bad luck to kill a spider - so if I see one, I also freeze and watch it for a moment. I'm brave enough to cover it with a large plastic cup and slide a sheet of paper under it, then gingerly carry it outdoors. I watch where it goes, then close my door very quickly! :eek:

John Lilly
09-20-2004, 08:10 AM
I hate spiders! I made a public announcement to them when we moved into out house. Get out or die! and tell your offspring. Stay outside I will leave you alone, come inside you die period, garage, I'll think about it!
John

SeiserL
09-20-2004, 08:28 AM
IMHO, and totally politically incorrect but useful, is the courage to find the source of the fear. Like most suffering in life, it appear to be the mind. The fantasy part creates the fear. At least it is the controllable part.

No one is afraid of flying, they are afraid of their fantasy of crashing.

No one is afraid of heights, they are afraid of their fantasy of falling.

No one is afraid of the dark, they are afraid of what they think is in it.

No one is afraid of public speaking, they are afraid of what they think will happen if they speak in public.

Without the fantasy, their is no fear. Flying is flying, heights are heights, and the dark is the dark. Acceptance of what is without the additional fantasy can bring peace of mind.

This idea is based on 2500 years of Buddhism and cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy.

I know many will disagree and argue for keeping fear. So, I know I have opened myself to criticism, but I offer the idea in deepest compassion.

thomas_dixon
09-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Whether they argue or not you're right.

They're not afraid of spiders they're afraid of being bit by one and/or dying.

:P

If you also incorperate Taoism into that you can just let things be as they are, find solice in your mind and your fear would seem to disappear. Or you could sing the backstreet boys and and create a whole new host of psychological and physical problems for yourself ;)

Lorien Lowe
09-20-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm afraid of mountian lions when I go out walking in the hills; several people a year are attacked in California, and sometimes they get eaten. A few weeks ago a young woman driving a motorcycle was chased home by one, in a town about eight miles up the road from mine.

thomas_dixon
09-21-2004, 12:29 AM
she best be happy she wasn't on a bicycle or moped...

p00kiethebear
09-21-2004, 02:35 AM
Rejection. Being Alone. I fear of living in fear. Of being powerless to protect the ones i love.

p00kiethebear
09-21-2004, 02:43 AM
The only times I have ever had to turn away from a movie were during "The Ring"

AMEN.

I took my girlfriend to see that, we were both were nearly pissing our pants.... so we distracted ourselves with.... eachother... ahem... I didn't sleep for several days after this movie. And then of course there is this video game i play ( www.fatalframe2.com ) that i can't play for more than an hour at a time.

You play the role of two innocent japanese school girls trapped in a haunted village that is forever locked in darkness and relives a bloody sacrificial ritiual that went wrong over and over again untill things can be set right.

On one hand it has cute innocent japanese school girls (twins), on the other, i have to sleep with the light on after i play it. It's sort of a mixed blessing. :hypno:

suren
09-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm afraid of loosing the ones I love.

Thomas Ambrose
09-25-2004, 10:34 PM
AMEN.

I took my girlfriend to see that, we were both were nearly pissing our pants.... so we distracted ourselves with.... eachother... ahem... I didn't sleep for several days after this movie.

Funny story about that movie. I had this blind date once... we went to coffee and things were going well. We decided to watch a movie and headed back to my apartment. I had "The Ring" (yes, I keep things that terrify me, I am obsessed with my own fear) so we decided to watch that. Anyway, it went smoothly, a few jumps but I kept my cool.

While the movie was going on, my pet cat got up onto the cupboards, and was looking out around the wall, with her head a few inches from the ceiling. Not a place one expects to see a cat. My date said "Isn't that your cat?" and I turned and saw the cat with her little face and almost glowing eyes up near the ceiling :blush: . I was already jumpy from the movie... the result was not pretty...

First instinct: I thought that an alien had gotten into my apartment. (Yes, I know, I know.)
Second instinct: I screamed. I screamed loudly. I screamed high. Not to sound sexist, but I screamed like a schoolgirl. Not just any schoolgirl, but a schoolgirl who had just released the most blood-curdling scream ever and was about to die.
Third instinct: Save face. I thought "Oh crap, I just screamed like a schoolgirl, while on a date. I better think of something fast!" So I tried to act non-chalant and yelled "Bad cat!" thinking that that would help somehow :rolleyes: .

Anyway, why is that story relevent? It really isn't but I guess it ties together all of my fears, except for spiders. :D Hopefully you got a laugh or two out of it...

...and by the way, yes, it really happened.

David_francis
09-27-2004, 11:14 AM
I am absolutely terrified of syringes and needles going into my skin. *shudders*

Hogan
09-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Spiders...

Happy nightmares...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/graphics/camel_spider_sm.jpg

Erik
09-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Sorry this is kind of random but what are you afraid of.

That Neil Mick will start some damn thread that I'll feel compelled to respond to.

Very scary that!

Bronson
09-27-2004, 11:40 PM
I am absolutely terrified of syringes and needles going into my skin. *shudders*

Needle EMG (Electromyography)

For this part of the exam, a small, thin needle is inserted into several muscles to see if there are any problems. Disposable needles are used for each patient. There may be a small amount of pain when the needle is put in. The doctor examines only the muscles necessary to decide what is wrong. The doctor will look at and listen to the electrical signals that travel from the needle to the EMG machine. The doctor then reads these signals.

Had one of these today. It was, um, interesting :freaky:

Bronson