PDA

View Full Version : Books from Saito?


Please visit our sponsor:
 

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!


petra
03-05-2001, 06:03 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for the books written by Saito called Traditional Aikido, there should be at least 5 or maybe even 6 volumes. Me and my fellow students would like to obtain copies of those books, does anyone know where they are for sale? (if possible the entire serie at once) does anyone have spare copies? or would be willing to provide us with (photo)copies. Any information is appreciated.

andrew
03-05-2001, 07:09 AM
Why not find them online somewhere (piss easy to do) and if you're not comfortable ordering online/no credit card you can bring the publisher details etc to your local bookshop to order?

andrew

P.S. You can find very helpful stuff online, just make sure the source is good. (High rank, well known organisation = good. 2nd kyu from independent dojo = dodgy.)

petra
03-05-2001, 07:40 AM
Hi Andrew,

I've already searched all the major online bookstores, they do not have them and my local bookstore can only supply books that are available in the Netherlands. Furthermore, I have tried to obtain as much details as I can but since I do not have a copy of one of these books I do not know the publisher. My post was/is intended to find a place where I might order these books or otherwise find someone who can provide me with as much information as possible concerning ISBN number, publisher, year(s) of publication, number of editions and prints, etc. If these books are no longer available in print I hope that someone can provide me with a secondhand serie or (if nothing else is available) a photocopy would be better than nothing. If you know of any online bookstore etc. who carries these titles or other aikido books, please let me know.

lyam
03-05-2001, 08:11 AM
Did you try Alibris.com?

They specialize in out-of-print and hard to find books.
---
sean farrell

Greg Jennings
03-05-2001, 08:26 AM
petra wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for the books written by Saito called Traditional Aikido, there should be at least 5 or maybe even 6 volumes. Me and my fellow students would like to obtain copies of those books, does anyone know where they are for sale? (if possible the entire serie at once) does anyone have spare copies? or would be willing to provide us with (photo)copies. Any information is appreciated.


They are quite rare and hard to find. A fellow was advertising them for sale on Aikido Journal and EBay. I think he wanted US$150, but I can't remember for sure.

I think that I have his e-mail address at home. I'll post it tonight when I get home from work 9:00 U.S. CST (GMT - 6 hrs).

You could search on the Aikido Journal site in the mean time.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
03-05-2001, 09:23 PM
Greg Jennings wrote:

I think that I have his e-mail address at home. I'll post it tonight when I get home from work 9:00 U.S. CST (GMT - 6 hrs).

You could search on the Aikido Journal site in the mean time.

Regards, [/B]

I hope you had some look searching the Aikido Journal website. I can't find the e-mails the fellow with books and I traded.

Sorry,

jimmycrow
03-05-2001, 10:34 PM
Petra
You can purchase all of Saito Senseis books from http://www.aikidojournal.com. They also sell the video companion to his book "Budo: Training Mannual of Morihei Ueshiba". Two of the Books are sold out (Vol. 1 & Vol.4) but should be back in print soon.

Good Luck

Jimmy Crow

petra
03-06-2001, 01:06 AM
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the tip, I've looked at alibris.com but unfortunately no Traditional Aikido by Morihiro Saito :(, very nice site though, I've added it to my favorites and will definately use it in the future.
I have tried to contact someone who offered the books on aikidojournal but haven't heard from him yet, so I'm a bit ancious that I'm too late and the books are already sold.
Sofar the update of my search efforts, any tips are still very welcom and I would like to thank everyone who has already taken time and effort to help me.

Dana
03-06-2001, 05:17 AM
If we're talking about the same person, I've found both Morihiro and Morihito Saito Sensei Dan 9 in Aikido.
Which is the correct name ?

Thank you,
Dana

petra
03-06-2001, 06:04 AM
According to my information from aikidojournal, it should be Morihiro Saito Sensei, but I started out with only a last name and a general book title (Saito and Traditional Aikido). Unfortunately, that is the kind of information you get during a dinner, nobody has the exact information with them nor a volume of the book in their possesion to look up the exact data, like for instance ISBN, publisher, year of (first) publication, etc. Hope this information helps you, I have to admit a did not know there were to aikido senseis with such simular names, I was glad to have found one.

Dana
03-06-2001, 06:33 AM
No no no, I don't think there are two persons of such names, on the contrary, I think it unlikely, but I found both names on the web. I suspect it might be morihiro but the 'to' at the end of 'Saito' might rhyme. Both names are legal Japanese.


Dana

petra
03-06-2001, 07:06 AM
Hi Dana,

Well, except for basic aikido terms I know very little Japanese, so I take your word for it, it's Morihiro Saito then.

tedehara
03-07-2001, 11:39 AM
I just received this letter from Aikido Journal.

Stanley Pranin wrote:
I just came back from Japan where I discovered I had another box of "Takemusu Aikido, Volume 1" by Morihiro Saito Sensei.

As you may know the book is out of print until later this year. The upshot is that I have about 30 books available on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you are interested in getting one of the last copies of the first edition, please go here to order: Aikido Journal (http://www.aikidojournal.com/catalog/productdetails.asp?id=TA01)


Hope this helps.

Greg Jennings
03-07-2001, 12:11 PM
petra wrote:
According to my information from aikidojournal, it should be Morihiro Saito Sensei, but I started out with only a last name and a general book title (Saito and Traditional Aikido). Unfortunately, that is the kind of information you get during a dinner, nobody has the exact information with them nor a volume of the book in their possesion to look up the exact data, like for instance ISBN, publisher, year of (first) publication, etc. Hope this information helps you, I have to admit a did not know there were to aikido senseis with such simular names, I was glad to have found one.

OK, there is some confusion among some of the participants.

Morihiro Saito Sensei has authored two distinct series of books. The first was "Traditional Aikido". The second was "Takemusu Aikido". It was the latter that was published and sold by AikiNews/AikidoJournal.

Petra is interested in the "Traditional Aikido" series.

Petra, I have the Traditional Aikido series. Contact me offline and I'll get you the ISBNs and other information that you want. I apologize, I didn't understand that having that information would help your search.

FWIW, my personal opinion is that the Takemusu Aikido series is superior to the Traditional Aikido series. The Traditional Aikido, series, OTOH, is very important from a historical perspective.

FWIW,


[Edited by Greg Jennings on March 7, 2001 at 12:15pm]