PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Down Under

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Olivia_S
08-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Hi Everyone,

I had my first class last night and although I feel a bit awkward at this early stage (and somewhat sore!), I had lots of fun and am heading back later this week.

I've really enjoyed reading the forums and hearing what others have to say about their experiences, especially from the other ladies out there. It was a relief to discover that many people had the same questions I did!

Thanks for helping me understand what Aikido is all about :)

Cheers,
Olivia

Scotto
08-03-2004, 03:30 AM
Hey there Olivia, glad to hear that your first class went well and mmm well lets hope that the saorness fades quickly. Out of curiosity who did you train with, which organisation and how did you come to hear about it. I currently train and teach in melbourne and am always interested in the local down under scene on who, how and when of peoples training.
Anyways, good training
Scotto

Olivia_S
08-03-2004, 07:25 AM
Hi Scotto,

I trained in Launceston at the University. The dojo is part of Aiki-kai Australia. I basically just searched for "Aikido Launceston" in google and found that there was a dojo at the Uni (and as a uni student that worked out quite well!).

I liked the sound of Aikido because it emphasized that you don't have to be big and strong to be effective (well... depends on who you ask I guess!). I also liked the idea of a more peaceful environment with less people trying to show off and basically kick the crap out of everyone :D

Yeah, the soreness will go soon, just a bit stiff. I go to the gym a fair bit so I'm used to it!

Good training to you too :)

Olivia

Alex Avo
08-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi there Olivia

Im another Down under newbie.I just started Akido here in Sydney and also feelin a bit sore... Must be my 32 years... :) Im finding it v interesting and challenging and good for my fitness . Keep it up!

Alex
Sydney