PDA

View Full Version : The ol real life tales subject...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

frivolouspig
07-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Ok so today at work to kill sometime I was reading the "real life stories" section of aikidofaq.com (aikidofaq.com/stories/real_life2.html) most of the stories are pretty dated.

Lets hear some NEW ones but also include the style of martial art and sub style (Eg. Aikido, Aikikai)

Also what I'm most interested in what happened after using your knowledge? Did you get sued? Did your drunken friend ever speak to you again? Did nothing happen at all or did something positive happen like you saved the girl/guy now you have 6 kids and a white picket fence?

Tell us your stories! :D

Jordan Steele
07-21-2004, 12:05 PM
I'll keep it short and simple. I have had two experiences, both fairly insignificant, but entertaining in my mind. The first was at a video store after class one night and I noticed three guys taking dvds out of their boxes and pocketing them. The store clerk caught on as well and went to confront the guys. Realizing the store clerk was in an unfavorable position if the guys decided to make an issue out of it I casually positioned myself to back the clerk up. Anyways when they guys were confronted, the one with all the dvds made a break for the door but had to run by me to make it there. Well this unlucky dude just happened to run into my foot...if you know what I mean. So he went sprawling into a movie shelf knocking over just about every movie and fell to the ground completely confused and with a little bump on his head. I took the dvds out of his jacket and then told him f*** off. He complied. The other two dummys and the store clerk couldn't believe what just happened. The remaining two guys just sort of walked out with a few "kind words" for me. The store clerk ignored my $25 late charge and gave me a free rental. Nothing fancy, no aikido, but a stimulating evening in small town Canada eh!

frivolouspig
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Good story, happy ending, keep em coming! :D

MikeLogan
07-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Not so much as a story, but an observation. An odd thing is that in watching most action movies, even the random Seagal flick I saw a week ago, the fiction aspect and the anticipation of violence only serve to entertain. In a love story ("Love, Actually") I recently saw with my girlfriend, one character feels an undying responsibility for her mentally ill brother.

In one scene she is sitting with him, on a visit just before christmas holidays, and all of a sudden he quickly leans forward, and his arm once quiet at his side reaches across line, as if to back-hand her with a fist. Not having any expectation of violence in the movie, once I saw the ill-brother's body lurch forward in his seat, and the strike begin, my hands jumped off my lap out of reflex. My girlfriend laughed at me, & suggested we watch something less scary :rolleyes: . I had been training just 2 hours previous to the occasion, so I expect that's the reason.

Oh, and a cool side-note, the sister in the movie caught his arm half way there as if she were about to initiate Ikkyo, he calmed down, and mister nurse steps from the side to aid her.

mike.

shihonage
07-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Once a homeless man got pissed it at me because I didn't give him more than a dollar, and his fists went up into a pseudo-boxing stance.
I didn't wait for him to punch me; as they were going up I extended his motion ikkyo-like and he stumbled far away, muttering "I'm too old for this fighting shit".

It happened very quickly.

frivolouspig
07-22-2004, 06:04 AM
Once a homeless man got pissed it at me because I didn't give him more than a dollar, and his fists went up into a pseudo-boxing stance.
I didn't wait for him to punch me; as they were going up I extended his motion ikkyo-like and he stumbled far away, muttering "I'm too old for this fighting shit".

It happened very quickly.

I wonder what he would have done if I gave him a canadian dollar? :p

Steven Scott
07-22-2004, 06:52 AM
A few years ago when I worked for the local authority as a Resident Engineer supervising road maintenance and upgrading works, I was in charge of a project won by the competitive tender process, naturally the cheapest contractor won the tender. ( A warning to everyone out there that you always get what you pay for!!)

Anyway, about three days into this particular contract I arrived on site and met up with the Contract Manager (also the company owner) and began a tour of the now planed-out and torn up road surface, all ready to be relaid and repaired.
As I performed the daily rounds, inspecting machinery, quality of works, staff compliment etc I noticed that the Contract Manager had gone elsewhere, a fact of which I was pleased with as any more excuses regarding the poor performance standards I was seeing and I would have gone insane.

Anyway a few minutes later I met back up with him, looking quite pleased with himself having just put a 'nosy local' in their place. Oh dear.
No sooner had he said this than the shout of "Hey, you, get back here" echoed across a suddenly very quiet street.
I looked up to see an irate resident of the street standing outside his garden beside a once pristine but still technically brand new Rover. He did not look at all happy at the thick coating of road dust and planed surface material that were all over his garden and car, and seemed less pleased yet again with the chips that had been taken out of the paintwork by the cars proximity to the paving machinery.

I began a slow walk over, taking time to think things out when the loudmouthed manager squeezed out a cry of "What do you want again, is your car still dusty? Give it a clean!".
Never before have I seen a human go 'bright' purple with rage. ]
Naturally, there ensued the posturing, the shouting and finally a few threats were raised by these two parties.

Strangely enough, all I could think of was "Wait for it", "Wait for it". The situation had deteriorated within several second to a hairs breadth from an all out melee. Both participants were standing tall, glaring, oblivious to everything and everyone around them, hands flexing. You could actually smell the testosterone. The Contractor was baiting the resident and threatening to F*&^ing kill him, the resident admonished that he would love to see him f^*^ing well try it with no f&^$ing head on his f£%*ing shoulders. You get the picture!

Out of interest, both these gentlemen had at leas 6" in height and about 80lbs between them over me, I was in charge and responsible for the site and the safety of everyone on it. A group had begun to gather comprising of workers, resident and children. The road was still live and had traffic on it. It was a very tense situation. So I waited for the right moment and took action.

As the resident began step forward and the contractor moved in, I dropped my center and slowly got the left half of my body in front of him. He was so focused, he had no idea why we has not moving forward. At the same time I kept my left arm extended across his torso, in the line of sight of the resident. As I did this, I moved my left hand back across toward my heart area, with the resident now following it (not difficult when you are wearing a bright yellow safety jacket) and hand on heart extended my right hand in the time-honoured handshake of friendship. "I'm terrible sorry, my name is Steven Scott and I am the RESIDENT ENGINEER IN CHARGE OF THE SITE". I said, elevating my voice in a friendly but commanding fashion, I was now standing between the two and allowing my center to sink back, managed to force the contract manager back a step or two and out of the conflict zone. "I understand that your car has been damaged, please allow me to take you details and arrange a claim for repairs on behalf of the council". As I finished this, I
The resident looked down at my hand, confused and a little shaken (no pun intended) almost wondering why he has not fighting right now.
I led him away "Let me see the vehicle, a new Rover, nice car, good choice. Don't worry about the minor damage, let me take you details now and I will arrange a clean and any respray for you, is there anything else I can help you with today..........."

At the end of it all I sat in my car for about ten minutes shaking as the contained adrenaline released itself. No-one got hurt (save the Contract Manager's pride when my report was sent out) and a particularly nasty incident was avoided.

Ron Tisdale
07-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Good job!

RT

Goye
07-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Here is my tale,.. it was before Christmas a couple of years ago. I was walking in the night on a dark street after going to a company’s celebration. In the party I got a bottle of good wine and some other presents. Suddenly there were two not very nice guys that yelled at me "Give us something" :blush:
.. The only thing I did was to take out the bottle of wine and say "Mary Christmas",.. They smiled and took the wine,... was it :ai::ki::do: ??? :D

jxa127
07-22-2004, 09:10 AM
---snip--- I got a bottle of good wine and some other presents. Suddenly there were two not very nice guys that yelled at me "Give us something" :blush:
.. The only thing I did was to take out the bottle of wine and say "Mary Christmas",.. They smiled and took the wine,... was it :ai::ki::do: ??? :D

No, that was theft. It was probably the wisest course of action, but it wasn't aikido.

I don't think we train to avoid conflict, but to deal successfully with it when can no longer avoid it.

Still, it sounds like you did well. Survival without injury is a good outcome, and getting injured or killed over office party gifts would have been a sad shame.

Regards,

frivolouspig
07-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Both good stories , however I'd be tempted to use the bottle as a club while wishing them a marry x-mas, but to each his own :p but good job on defusing the situation , hopefully the wine wasn’t too expensive :D

jxa127
07-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

I've told this before, so I'll make it very brief.

Two people very close to me were having a very heated argument. Things continued to get worse and I edged closer to the younger of the two. Just when I thought he was going to attack the older one, the younger one made a break for the door.

My first thought was, "he's going to go do something stupid, stop him." In two steps, I was right behind him. I reached up with my right hand, got ahold of his chin and rotated him to my right as I turned. I cushioned the fall as he ended up on his back with me holding his arms down in a pin.

He looked at me and said, "Ow, that hurt!"

I said, "You're G-d d-mned right, ow!"

But the throw and the pin deflated his anger and he started talking, much more rationally about what was bothering him. The argument turned into a pretty good discussion.

I ended up with a huge bruise on my belly because I hit a dining room chair with it as I was rotating for the throw. My "uke" was unhurt (as was I, other than the bruise).

A few years later, all of us are still very close and the incident is pretty much forgotten.

At the time, I had two reactions. The first was doubt that I had done the right thing. I was very upset by the whole event and I was very worried that I had made things worse. In hindsight, even a few hours later, I realized that I really had acted appropriately.

My second reaction was of how well my training had served me. I'd only been training for two and a half years or so. I didn?t have to think much, I just reacted and threw, but in a controlled and non-damaging manner. I studied tae kwon do many years before; I realized that if I had had only the TKD training to rely on, one or both of us would have gotten hurt and the conflict would have escalated. My conscience would have been very troubled had I hurt the person I threw.

Regards,

DaveO
07-22-2004, 11:24 AM
I put one up a couple years back; or thereabouts. Rather than copy it out again; I'm gonna try this "link to one post" feature - let's see if it works. :)

It's here. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpost.php?p=41102&postcount=153)

E.J. Nella
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
It was the middle of the day, in a Warehouse type store parking lot. I had just finished loading the car and returning the cart, crossing a lane when the car that was stopping for me to cross got kind of close. I gave it a sideways glance thinking “Hey, that was kind of close”. Then after thinking a little and feeling uncomfortable, I looked again as the car passed. Just a glance, not a hard stare or anything threatening. The guy stomps on his brakes, jumps out and starts walking around his vehicle at a pretty good clip. All the while yelling “What the F*** are you looking at?” I said “Hey, I am just crossing the street here.”. When he made a slight movement towards me I stepped back into left hamni and put my left hand up around chest high and said “I don’t want any trouble.’ At same the time I touched my folding knife in my right pocket, I don’t know why, I have many, many more years training in Aikido than I do in knife fighting. It was comforting though. He must have seen my motion for what it was and abruptly turned and walked back to his car still yapping. I am not positive of this because I purposely turned in such a way that my arm movement wouldn’t be detected, just not sure if I succeeded. Something changed his mind.

I feel that if I had practiced all these years in a style that is more confrontational, I would have gotten into the stance out of habit and may have escalated the situation by looking combative. If I had not trained in any Martial Art, he may have faced someone who looked a little less sure of themselves and saw it as a weakness and pounced. I gather from his bizarre behavior that he was a bully that had succeeded in bullying before.

This is why I practice Aikido, I feel it gives me some defense skills, a little more self confidence, and an alternative to kicking ass or running away (unless either is truly appropriate).

I look back on the event feeling very good about the outcome and the way I handled it. The event highlighted two very important points to me. I learned in one of the clinics in self defense that I have taken that one of the first things you should do in this type of situation is to say what I did, “I don’t want any trouble.” Or, “I don’t want to fight!”. I think that may have been the one thing I maybe could have done different. I could have said “I don’t want to fight!”. I have been taught that this should be said very LOUD so any witnesses to the account can tell the cops, “You know that guy there was holding his hand up saying he didn’t want to fight and the guy attacked him anyway.” The second thing is my wife was putting our 18 month old into the car seat when this was happening and didn’t see half of it, just caught the tail end of me in an obviously touchy situation. She said she felt like getting involved to back me up. I told her afterwards that if something like this ever happens again to get in the car, lock the doors and call the cops. I know I should have had a plan of action with her before something like this actually happened.

What was really cool was there was an older Eastern Indian couple getting into their car right next to us and saw the whole thing. He came over and said “I’ll be your witness! I’ll be your witness! He was a crazy man! I’ll be your witness!” After a few kind words we were on our way again.

Thankful it didn’t escalate.

justMe
07-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I like the idea of this type of thread. It is a refreshing alternative to the “Aikido is not real” slander. Here is my contribution and it is a bit lengthy.

I have been training in Aikido for 15+ years. For about 10 of those years I worked in various child and adolescent psychiatry hospitals. These facilities offered services to a wide range of clients to include juvenile delinquents, drug abusers, and gang members. As you can imagine it was rough and frequently violent work. I used my Aikido two to three times a week almost every week!

What I would like to relate to you is the most violently intense episode that occurred in all those 10 years. In fact, it is the most violent episode of my life and I hope it remains so!

The facility where I was working at the time had just hired a new program manager. He firmly intended to hold the youth much more accountable for their behavior than his predecessor which, by the way, I felt and still feel was all to the good! At that time there were twelve boys, all 15 to 18 years old, and three girls in the same general range on the floor. In terms of staff there were seven of us: three women, one of which was the nurse, and four men, including the new director.

On this particular day he held a unit meeting in the recreation room, the only room big enough to hold all of us, and outlined his new program direction and more stringent rules. He implemented something similar to a token economy in that privileges were no longer considered rights but had to be earned. The most sought after, the weekend pass out of the facility, was also the hardest to achieve and required not only attendance in all assigned therapeutic activities, something that, sadly, was optional under the previous administration but also required honest participation. They also had school performance expectations levied.

Three boys who apparently pre-planned a course of action should this meeting not go their way lept out of their chairs and, shouting obscenities, ran to and flipped over the pool table. Everyone in the room was on their feet instantly. Two of the three girls ran out and were followed by two of the three female staff members. The girls went to their rooms and both of the staff members stayed with them. The nurse ran to the nurse’s station and over the intercom called for back-up from other areas of the hospital. She then locked herself in the medicine room to prevent access to the powerful drugs stored there and proceeded to prepare twelve syringes of sedative and labeled one for each patient in case it was needed.

The remaining youths were ordered back to their rooms. Four boys complied as fast as they could run. The odds now were nine to four. These nine began pacing back and forth, muttering to each other, and making threats against us. In short they were working themselves up to frenzy.

Suddenly on the far side of the room one boy took up one of the plastic chairs and began pounding against the reinforced clear plastic windows. One of my colleagues, the only one I had any real faith in for this type of crisis took the chair away from the boy who responded with a left hook barely missing the staff member. That triggered the others and all of us were rushed. The first one to reach me tried to tackle me American football style. He was easily avoided with a ½ tenkan side-step and lifting his arm while lowering his head, performed a partial kaitennage.

The second was coming at me from the right rear. I again tenkan-ed right to face him while raising my right arm under and around the right hook punch he was throwing allowing me to get to the outside of the arm and stand so we formed a “T”. Leading down in the crook of his elbow I drew his head into my right shoulder/chest and performed iriminage.

A third was able to catch me from behind and wrap his arms around my torso in a bear hug. Fortunately I lifted my arms up and he was not able to pin them to my side. I lowered my center to keep from being pulled up and spun tightly counter-clockwise. I then abruptly reversed my direction to clock-wise and brought up my elbow in atemi to the face being overly cautious to not hit the boy. Help was starting to trickle in so things were beginning to even out. The ones I had thrown were tied up with these others.

The guy next to me was not fairing as well. I pulled one of the kids going after him off and saw that my co-worker was not seriously injured and seemed to be able to cope with the only remaining female patient easily. The kid I pulled off, however, stood in front of me and eased himself into a horse stance. He flicked out two quick front snap kicks which I slid back to avoid. After the second he spun immediately into a reverse spin kick aimed at my temple. I rushed in fast as I could just as I noticed he started his spin and insured that he kept spinning until he went down.

As more reinforcements arrived the staff eventually outnumbered patients two to one. We held the still struggling youths pinned while the nurse administered the sedatives.

I noted afterward that, while it sounds like a lot happened, it all took place in less than five minutes. Also, while it was going on I was cool and alert, as if I could see everything at once. When recalling the incident I can still see every small detail! I was not frightened at the time, but an hour later I experienced for about 15 to 20 minutes, a rush of fatigue and jitteriness; every little sound made me jump.

I have had to use my Aikido since then, but not on that scale! Now that I am no longer in that field, I haven't had to use it in "combat" capacity for several years. I pray I never do!

p00kiethebear
07-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Hmmm....

This probably isn't the best use. But at our school it's very comon for lots of assholes to cut to the front of the lunch line. Well after four years of putting up with it and being a senior i had finally had enough.

I had just grabbed my tray and was moving toward the counter to start picking up my food when some sophmore twice my size elbows me in the side and pushes me into the counter to get ahead. Without thinking twice my hands left the tray and grabbed sankyo on his right hand. The moment i began to apply pressure he almost jumped and began moving backwards quickly with almost perfect ukemi.

From there i walked [read: sankyo'd] him to the back of the line and told him to wait like everyone else.

However i had lost my place as well = / So I went to sit with my friends while i waited for the line to grow short again.

martinscotts
07-22-2004, 05:35 PM
My story is from a number of years ago, before I had any aikido training, at the time I had been training JKD for a few years.

A friend of mine had just moved into a new apt and was throwing a house warming party. toward the end of the night, about 1am, a group of guys were outside of his apartment yelling and throwing things toward his windows. I was in another room and didn't witness this happening. Anyway, my friends girlfriend went outside to talk to these guys, again, I didn't know she was going out there alone. Well, once she was outside then someone told me what was happening. I know, we should have called the police...but we didn't. So I walk out with one other friend, and just as we get to the scene the most aggressive of the guys tells me to F*&! off and go inside. Before I could respond he swings, luckily he telegraphed and wasn't really close enough to hit me hard. Then all hell breaks lose. I think there were 5 of them versus me and my buddy.

Mostly I was moving all around trying to avoid being crushed. I was able to move so that I never really had to take on more than one at a time, and my buddy was a state level wrestler (as was I), so he was doing ok, but he did end up smashing into a law office window and had to have 17 stitches in his tricep area later that night. I landed a few shots, took a few shots, but we held out until a police car showed up and then our attackers took off. the police chased them, caught them, and the aggressive guy who started it all even tried to fight them. turns out an ambulance was across the street in a parking lot and watched the whole thing, they called the police. I found out later they had slapped my friends girlfriend and pushed her to the ground while the whole thing was going down.

When the police were interviewing us they still had the guy in the back of the car, all the while he was yelling he was going to have us all killed and kicking the inside of the police car. The police also said they were quite certain he was hopped up on something, crack, pcp, whatever. We went to the hospital, my buddy got stitched up and that was the end of it. A few months later I saw one of the guys at a coffee shop near where the whole thing happened, we just sort of nodded and left it at that. Luckily I have never been in a fight since, hopefully never will.

Jordan Steele
07-23-2004, 11:33 AM
As I said earlier in this thread, I have two stories, so here goes number two. Anyway, to paint a picture for all of you, I'm a younger guy, not to big, but strong and I have lived in Victoria, BC, Canada my whole life, a pretty subdued city with nearly no danger at all on the streets. Back to the point though...I went on a road trip down the west coast of the USA last year and stopped in San Francisco for a couple days. I loved this city, but my friends were tired and wanted to sleep the first night...I on the other hand wanted to see some of the city on foot. I went for a walk around 10:30 at night and the city was so vibrant and friendly until I turned down the wrong block. I was on my way back to the hotel and I just knew I had stepped onto somebody else's turf when I started walking up the four of five blocks. There were groups of gangs on every corner drinking booze and selling drugs and staring me down. I just kept walking hoping to avoid any type of interaction. This sort of activity is almost non-existent in Victoria, but I still had my wits about me. Anyway all of a sudden I hear a woman screaming and yelling about 50 feet infront of me and see a man running straight towards me carrying a few items that don't genrally belong to a man, like a purse. I was a little bit surprised at first that this was actually happening and just sort of stood there, but as this dummy got about 15 feet away, I decided I was going to do something about it. I was in his way and he was just going to run me down and shove me out of the way, so like the prudent and kind Canadian I am, I straight armed him square in the face. He went airborne fast and sprawled over the pavement like a fish on the dock. Strangely enough I couldn't help but chuckle a bit, it just looked so funny when he fell. Two policemen across the street at Starbucks caught the end of it and ran over to help. They escorted me back to the car for my own safety and explained that what I did was brave, it was also stupid as the street guys don't mess around in SF and a few of the dudes buddies probably would have hurt me if the cops weren't around. I understood and they gave me a ride back to the hotel and gave me an SFPD t-shirt. I plan on going back to SF soon

Keith_k
07-23-2004, 10:23 PM
This just happened to me yesterday; it's not terribly dramatic, but I thought it was funny.

I was returning a book to the library and ran into someone I knew from high school. We started talking and it came out that I've been studding martial arts. Of course, he wanted me to "show him something." He kept pestering me and came into a fighting stance and said, "What would you do if I came at you like this?" So I followed my gut reaction to his stance, grabbed his throat with one hand, his testicles with the other, and began to drive him backwards. Needless to say, he backed off instantly and the look of shock on his face reminded me of something. Through my years of training, I had forgotten, never crossed my mind for an instant, that normal people are not used to having their naughty bits handled by other people. Fortunately he was not very angry with me; unfortunately he kept pestering me to show him more technique (just not that one again). I guess I should have grabbed him harder.

It has been suggested by a few people I've told this story to that perhaps he was hoping I would ask him out on a date, but I assure anyone who may question it: there was nothing sensual about what I did to him.

Kyri Honigh
07-24-2004, 12:37 AM
I went to NYC last year, practising and later moving on to summercamp in Boston. But there was one incident which was really funny. I was walking with 2 aiki-friends of mine which are between 25-30 years old. I was only 17 yrs old and I don't even look like 17...We were passing a corner around 18th street close to the dojo where a couple of rasta men were hanging out puffing on cigarettes. One of them kept looking at me, then he made his move while I diverted my gaze. But as soon as I felt light contact I semi tenkan-ed and tried to face him, but he got stuck in the rings of my jeans hahaha. So he nearly lost his balance and felt like a total ass, his buddies laughing at him all the while. Hehehh I greeted him and he did too and it was over. My friend didn't even understand what just happened, he thought we just bumped. Thank God I didn't attack him or something, cause they would have been armed for sure