PDA

View Full Version : New in Leeds

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Simon Lewis
07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi - Iím 35 and would like to start training in Aikido as the approach and techniques seem to suit my temperament and build.

I would like help in choosing some training in Leeds Ė my wife has requested that I find a men-only class. Can anyone help with this? Iíve been looking for around 9 months and now can have made no progress. With a mortgage and two children Iím not in a position to pay for personal training but wondered if there was anyone in Leeds who had any ideas or who could help.

Please donít interpret this as a disrespectful or arrogant request, itís a genuine request for help in finding training to suit my circumstances.

Thank you

Creature_of_the_id
07-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi Simon,
I know there is at least one person from Leeds that posts on aikiweb.
so hopefully he will be able to sort you out.
you can also try the aikiweb dojo search,
however...
I doubt that you will be able to find a men only dojo.
You may find a dojo that only has male members just because no women have joined. but I dont know of any men only dojos (I know of one in the USA)

Good luck in your search

Creature_of_the_id
07-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi again,
just did a quick members search and found a link to 'aikido leeds' in Jonathan Diesch's profile

http://aikidoleeds.com/

I hope this helps

Creature_of_the_id
07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
also the British aikido board has a list of registered clubs in Yorkshire.
the aikidoleeds clubs are on there, but there are a few others you could contact also

http://www.bab.org.uk/club_directory/yorkshire.html

Simon Lewis
07-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies - I'll start to make some further contacts. Thanks again. Simon

mj
07-20-2004, 10:53 AM
A men only class? They wouldn't be given a license by the sports council. Nor would they be allowed to use public buildings as far as I am aware.

markwalsh
07-20-2004, 11:05 AM
I started Aikido with Jon and the rest of the Yorkshire Aikikai (BAF affiliated). They are based out of the University. They are a great bunch and I would recomend anyone who is in the North of Englad visit. Ken Marden Sensei is one of the finest instructors around. Dont worry abot being a beginner, you wont be the only one.

It is certainly not an all male class though, but Kath, Jen and the others will probably leave you alone if you ask nicely :) Actually I take that back, they'll probably beat you up and get you drunk :)

Why does your wife insisit on an all male club (they'll be wearing skirts anyway)?

Joking asside, try Leeds University Aikido Club.
There is also an established Tomiki club in Leeds if that's more your cup of tea. The instructor is Bob Jones if I'm not mistaken, a senior member of the BAA.

Have fun,

Mark