PDA

View Full Version : what is my first Kyu?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiRaven
07-15-2004, 06:58 PM
what is my first kyu... 8 or 5.... and what techniques do i need to know? and is there any sites that have any videos/walkthroughs of them? thanks

senseimike
07-15-2004, 10:04 PM
This all depends on which style you are affiliated with. Your sempai should be able to help you prepare for this test when it nears. There are various videos available, but I've found that nothing quite equals training on the mat with someone who had experienced the testing criteria first hand. Sempai should be the ones responsible for this, someone had to take the time to help them attain that rank, and by accepting that rank they accept responsibility. That's how the sempai-kohai system should work.

Lyle Laizure
07-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Well said Mike.

bryce_montgomery
12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Well said Mike.

Ditto

Tim Chaffee
12-14-2004, 02:34 PM
A google search indicates that Brampton Aikikai may be associated with CAF and USAF. If that is so then this link may help out:

USAF Eastern Region Test Requirements (http://www.usaikifed.com/testreq.htm)

Tim

siwilson
12-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Ditto

Ditto!

There is a vast range of Kżu grade levels, and this can be dangerous - when a 5th Kyu in school that starts at 8th Kyu practices with a 5th Kyu from a school that starts at 5th Kyu train together. The former will be vastly more experienced!!!!

Scott Josephus
12-15-2004, 12:28 PM
The first Kyu rank really also depends on the organization you train in. For instance, I am in AAA, and our kyu rank starts at 7.

Train Hard! :)

bcole23
12-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Might I add that everyone's first test really feels like your trying to play chess with octopi strapped to your hands. It never looks or feels good. If you've been paying attention and get it somewhere in the vacinity of what your sensei asks for, you'll be perfectly fine.