PDA

View Full Version : confused

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiRaven
07-15-2004, 06:51 PM
i am not sure what weapom i would like to train with in my weekly weapons class in my aikido dojo. im stuck on either the Bo or Jo, i know they are both very similar and im not sue... what one should i train in? :confused:

Devin McDowell
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Uhh... I'm guessing that those are the long staff and short staff right? A curse on my lack of a japanese vocabulary!

If you are training for self defence, use the shorter one. You are more likely to pick up something like that in combat than something longer.

Otherwise, just go with what is more fun. Do you have to make a definite choice right away? If not, just experiment with both.

Note: I have tried to help as best I can, but have very little knowledge of this topic. You should take what I say with a grain of salt.

xuzen
07-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Dear Mark,

Bo IS NOT SIMILAR in its employement as jo. I am surprise your dojo is big enought to allow you to use BO. What luxury you have. I am unsure if aikido have bo syllabus. Bo is used for hitting & swinging, like how you would use a halberd. Jo can be used as a spear (thrust), parry (sword), trapping, reaping; basically a cross between a sword and spear.

Mark, are you even tall and strong enough to swing a Bo? It usually employs great physique to be effective. :confused:

Regards,
Boon.

akiy
07-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Mark,

It's interesting to hear your dojo employs bo as well as jo as most aikido dojo usually only do jo work as part of their curriculum. I've done bo in aikido with students of Hikitsuchi sensei as well as in Saotome sensei's patrol kata.

As far as your questions go, have you tried asking your instructor? Perhaps s/he will have a suggestion for you that would fit you more personally than you can get here?

-- Jun

disabledaccount
07-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Yes, please post your instructor's comments on the differences between bo and jo, and ask her/him to suggest one for you. I practice boken, jo, and iaido, and am very interested in the rational for including training in similar weapons of different length at your dojo.

AikiRaven
07-18-2004, 08:05 AM
ok it is saturday july 18th 9:04 am and i am about to go to weapons class in a hour his answer will be posted in a few hours

akiy
07-18-2004, 09:09 AM
I practice boken, jo, and iaido, and am very interested in the rational for including training in similar weapons of different length at your dojo.
From what I've experienced doing bo work, it's actually a pretty different weapon than a jo due to its increased length. The patrol kata set from Saotome sensei seems to show a different rationality for some of its movements due to the bo's longer reach...

-- Jun