PDA

View Full Version : new to aikido, and i have some questions

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiRaven
07-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Hello My anme is Mark, I am 16 and i just recently joined a local Aikido Dojo, so far im loving it, I noticed i am the only young person (under the age of 20) in my entire dojo.... then i look at my best friends Gojo ryu karate dojo and its packed full of kids. why is this? anyways, i love the art and i am having trouble syncronizing my legs and arms in the Sumi Otoshi and getting the opponent off balance then throwing. thank you all and look forward to posting some more :)

Mark Kearney
Brampon Ontario Canada

Troy
07-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I've been training in Aikido for a bit over 3 months, and when I was new, I had the same problem. The main thing about Aikido that I have found out, is that you need to play with it. Try to feel for the other person to get off ballance and what-not. I still have trouble getting my legs to do the right thing... like on the left part of my body, my feet will be right but not my harmd and hands; and on my right side, my arms and hands will be right, but not my feet! It can be very frustraiting. I've gotten better though. It all takes time. Some people catch on faster than others. This is true in everything.

And to answer your question about the Karate Dojo; The young kids where probably drawn to the "wow! I will know how to kick someones ass!" aspect of the art. A third Kyu at my dojo said once "if you want to learn how to hurt someone, take karate. But if you want a martial art that will give you alot back and help you in life, then take Aikido."

stern9631
07-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Through some patience and practice you will build muscle memory and this problem will slowly fade.
Have fun and go as often as possible. Also, learning the fundamentals of punching and kicking is easier. It provides a quicker payoff (belts, rank and ego) and Aikido is slower. Remember it is easy to be punitive and hurt somebody (karate) and it is very hard to control somebody that is attacking you without hurting them (aikido). Good Luck.

mj
07-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Mark...just work on keeping your hips between your legs and your hands in front of your body just now. :)

toranaga
07-15-2004, 01:52 PM
I started at 16 too, and here I lived the same situation (being the "young boy").
Now I got 18 and I believe that I should had started even before! ;)

About karate, well, it's quite more easy to kids understand and imagine themselves being karate masters than this strange, complicated and without action-movies art :p

suren
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

Since I've been doing karate for pretty long time before, I would like to post some comments.

The young kids where probably drawn to the "wow! I will know how to kick someones ass!" aspect of the art. A third Kyu at my dojo said once "if you want to learn how to hurt someone, take karate. But if you want a martial art that will give you alot back and help you in life, then take Aikido."

I think this is a little bit premature. I would agree that usually the reason people choose karate is to be able to defend themselves and sometimes even attack others, but that's not always the case and that's not the problem of that particular art. Actually I've seen when people came with that intension and left with opposite one. The problem is reasoning of the person learning it. I've received a lot from my karate training and it helped me in my life a lot. I guess it also matters very much who teaches you.

Also, learning the fundamentals of punching and kicking is easier.

Very questionable. Performing a technique correctly is difficult in any martial and non-martial art. The problem is that too many people really does not care much about correctness of their punches :) They just punch.
In most of the cases that will not work in Aikido, that's true.

It provides a quicker payoff (belts, rank and ego) and Aikido is slower.

I practiced karate for 4 years 2 hours every day and was still a white belt :)) I guess I'm just too stupid... and so were all other students in my former dojo. Though I should admit that american way of giving away belts in any martial art is one thing that amazed me very much.

Well, I hope you got my idea correctly. Do not blame the art! The real reason is inside the practitioners.

I guess there are several reasons Aikido is not very popular among the people who are under 20:

1. Aikido is not competitive. It's not a sport. For a teenager being competitive is very important. This is the high time to compete. Well actually for me Aikido is very competitive, but you compete with yourself.

2. Aikido does not work directly on you external look. I mean you won't get such big muscules as in some other sports. Looking cool is also a part of being teenager, so I guess that also adds it's portion.

3. Aikido is a peaceful art and peace and being a teenager sounds pretty strange at least to me :) This is the time when people really start the fight for their place under the sun.

4. I'm pretty sure that a person also should be mentally pretty mature to participate in Aikido. And this is not the case with most of the teenagers.

Anyway. That is my opinion and I it could be incorrect.
Mark, I wish you good luck in your training. :)

Devin McDowell
07-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey Mark, I know how you feel. I'm your age, and the youngest (and smallest) person in the dojo.

"The young kids where probably drawn to the "wow! I will know how to kick someones ass!" aspect of the art."
Little do they know how much fun it is to pin someone using aikido, and then kick them with impunity evileyes , but I digress.

"The problem is that too many people really does not care much about correctness of their punches" If it hurts your opponent, you did it right. ;)

suren
07-15-2004, 07:38 PM
"The problem is that too many people really does not care much about correctness of their punches" If it hurts your opponent, you did it right. ;)

That's why it does not hurt in most of the cases :D You can get a much more painful punch from a street fighter than from today's "black belt"...

AikiRaven
07-15-2004, 07:44 PM
yah i guess how i feel about aikido is that so many people go for offensive but if i use a defensive art i have the upperhand, and with the whole muscle buling thing...thats why i have weight class in school :D im 5'10 143 lbs. so i guess it is a mental thing.

p00kiethebear
07-15-2004, 07:56 PM
I also started when i was 16.

I think the biggest reason that kids tend to flock to karate and dojos similar is that aikido isn't as well known to the public. Also, I remember seeing a lesson when i was 8 years old and thinking "that stuff will never work" and just believing it to be some sort of weird hippie-dancing act.
Kids like to punch and kick and break things. It's only natural. :D

I remember though that i originally started at my dojo in kenjutsu. My sensei also taught aikido, so one night, when i was the only one who showed up for kenjutsu and he asked me "what do you want to work on?" i said "I'd really kinda like to see what aikido is all about." For the next hour he threw me around the room. And after that one-on-one lesson, with wrists sore and back hurting i said to myself "Wow, this is some serious shit" and signed up for aikido.

toranaga
07-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Well...
This topic is quite funny to me, because when I decided to choose a martial art, the place I could choose had these: judo, which I made once and it was horrible, to ME; capoeira, that I just hate because the people who usually does it; aikido and karate, both at the same time.
Aikido was in the first floor, so I started with it. I watched that and some kind of magic involved me, starting when the sempai (the sensei wasn't there that night) show me (I was just watching!) yonkyu.

I just didn't go up to see karate... And now I still training aikido, different place, same passion ;o

xuzen
07-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Dear Mark,

Aikido tend to attract older and more mature participant because:
1) It utilises a lot of subtle techniques which is not apparent until higher grade. Kids have short attention span, maybe they cannot wait that long. Ah! kids.
2) Some techniques may frighten off newbies, if they do not have the courage (think along the line of shihonage kuzushi, kotegashi, kaiten nage and not to mention the osae or finishing immobalization techniques) But aikidoka are nice and gentle people, they play nice.

Personally I started in my early twenties, now I am in my 30's and still loving it. Welcome onboard to the aikido journey.

Good training,
Boon.

jacob wood
07-17-2004, 08:07 PM
glad to see another 16 year old along with me, i also thought that i was among the youngest around aikido people and was going to ask about it soon, so thx for doing it

jacob