PDA

View Full Version : Learning to teach

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Amassus
07-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Hello all

When did you first get the opportunity to formally teach a few things in class?
I am 3rd kyu and recently I was asked to teach a technique in front of the class. In this case, ikkyo from a one handed grasp.
I really appreciated the opportunity to give it a go. The black belt taking the class said she first started teaching at 3rd kyu so it was expected of me as well.

I was very aware of my own technique throughout and I was pleased with my calm awareness. :)

Clayton Kale
07-15-2004, 05:42 AM
It's the same for my dojo. The chief instructor determines who he thinks will likely make it to instructor rank and begins easing them into a teaching role. Sometimes it's San-kyu, sometimes it's I-kyu. I'm a yon-kyu (testing for san-kyu a week from today) and I come to children's classes to help them with technique. I don't teach per se, but I'm sort of being introduced into that role.

In Nihon Goshin Aikido, a year of teaching is required for promotion to shodan. Sensei says by the time I'm preparing my shodan tests, since I've begun to learn how 3+ years out, the teaching requirement will be old hat! I've been doing it for a few weeks now, and I've noticed that helping the children with their technique has given me insight into my own. I spontaneously found the answer to a problem I always had with kote gaeshi when I was helping a struggling 9-year-old with the technique!

:D

Lyle Laizure
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
At 5th kyu my sensei allowed me to teach a technique during regular class on an ongoing basis. He did this for several of his students at this early stage.