PDA

View Full Version : Nihon Goshin or Seidokan for a Beginner

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Disciples
07-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Before I start doing Aikido, I'd like to know what all of you think about it. I'm currently in Columbia SC, and we have 2 Dojos that I think are worth going to. I dont trust recreation centers, and with that said, then there were 2. But see, I'm not too informed about Aikido, I'm learning as I go. I know the history of it and the goals of it, but I don't know all the styles. I just wanted to know can someone inform me on what is the difference between Nihon Goshin Aikido or Seidokan Aikido? I'm really trying to find something I feel I will grow with, so for those of you out there who are experienced with this art, please let me know.

Chris, aka Ceeno44.

kironin
07-13-2004, 02:22 AM
what's wrong with recreation centers ?
What's that got to do with whether or not it's a good aikido club ?

it goes both ways, there can be economic pressure in renting commercial space that can cause problems.

I would pick Seidokan for my own reasons. My reasons aren't your reasons. Nobody can hand this decision to you. You are going to have
do some research preferably starting with visiting both places and taking
at least one class at each place.

Craig

happysod
07-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Hey, I missed that one on first read - what's your problem with recreation centres? OK, so the mats occasionally have confetti from the kids parties and sometimes the moms forget and wear heels so we have to practice our duct-tape waza and the big guys using the gym have to be reminded to go round not through. So we're the shallow end of the dojo pool, but I bet we can teach you good ukemi's as there's nothing like learning to breakfall on unsuitable non-sprung floors to aid you in getting it right...ok, I see your point, you're right, ignore the rec centres

Naughty Craig! We're aikido and we're a cult, so no encouraging him to make his own mind up through proper research and (gasp) checking out dojos in person.

Greg Jennings
07-13-2004, 05:23 AM
I recently had a student move to that area and did some thorough research. I would feel good about recommending the Seidokan dojo.

Best regards,

Disciples
07-13-2004, 12:24 PM
In SC, Recreation centers are a hassle. Thats why I said, I dont like recreation centers. I'd like to study in an environment that focuses on the subject, instead of having the constant annoyances of people interrupting like so many people do at recreation centers.

kironin
07-13-2004, 01:40 PM
In SC, Recreation centers are a hassle..

Saying that you feel they are a hassle is a lot different than saying you don't trust them. I would look first at the quality of the teaching and the training. Quality of the people you train with. A distant second would be the training environment and location. I realize people often pick a place based on the latter and that the former is hard for new people to discern (basically it comes down to listening to your intuition of what feels more right for you). But passing over a club because of preconcieved notions about certain facilities could just mean passing over the gem that's right for you. I would at least be curious.

now, Greg's opinion is good enough for me. :D

Craig

Bronson
07-13-2004, 02:11 PM
If you're in SC you are probably looking at Doug Wedell sensei at Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina (http://www.cla.sc.edu/PSYC/faculty/wedell/aikido/). Wedell sensei is highly regarded in Seidokan and is one of our senior practitioners. He dedicates much time and energy to not only his students but to the organization as a whole.

You could do much much worse ;)

I still agree that you should check out all the local instructors. Even a very skilled teacher isn't for every student. You may find more of what you want/need at another place and there's no way to know unless you try them all.

Bronson

Ray Kissane
08-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I have not been on the boards in a while so sorry if this late in helping you. Since no has responded on the Nihon Goshin Aikido I can highly recommend it. The instructor down in your area is one of the senior instructors in the Nihon Goshin Association.

I would recommend that you go to the two Dojos and talk with the instructors and watch a class. You will find that one or the other will feel more comfortable for you based on how the students conduct themselves and how the instructor teaches.

You have to understand that if you get rank in Nihon Goshin it will not be recognized by other Aikido organizations and the converse would be true also. The reason is that we approach the techniques differently and do not use the same terminology. Also we do not have a 10 dan system as most other organization have, we are only a 6 dan system.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Ray Kissane

Greg Jennings
08-05-2004, 02:42 PM
<snip>Also we do not have a 10 dan system as most other organization have<snip>
Neither does the Aikikai..it's now nominally 1-8.

Regards,

kironin
08-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Neither does the Aikikai..it's now nominally 1-8.

Regards,

interesting point,
neither really does Ki Society

it's pretty much effectively moving in the direction of 1-8 also as the older generation that began training in the 1950's and 60's passes away.

oudbruin
08-05-2004, 10:04 PM
on the plus side, if you take a class at the rec centre, you can go for a swim afterwards , or perhaps a swet in the steam room?
The non profit dojo at the princeton "Y" is in a great place, the exercise euiptment is wonderfull, rowing machines, exercise bikes(wrong geometry - but otherwise ok), there is a sauna, steam room and a hot tub, free weights and oylimpic pool.. nice place to play..
now all they need is some one to teach mugai ryu...;-) (giggle)

Disciples
08-22-2004, 03:37 AM
Sorry for the person who said I should try Nihon Goshin, but I've already decided on Seidokan. I like Wedell sensei for he is a very good man as a person, and a very good teacher. Despite he performs the moves with excellence and grace and seems to effortlessly deflect people from his personal space when they attack, hes not that bad of a guy. I hope he can teach me how to use my Bokken and perfect some of the moves I want to get better at. Aikido is hard, but its fun to do, and it seems shorter than just 2 hours. His class alone makes me want to do Aikido every single day.

Devon Natario
08-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Glad you made your decision. I didnt like the rec center commetn either, but to each his/her own. The dojo is where the trainer lies. I trained in a garage for a year and learned more from that instructor then I will probably ever learn from any other instructor I ever find. But again, to each his own. Glad you made your decision.

Bronson
08-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Hey Chris,

Sounds like you made a choice that fits you. I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Maybe I'll get to see you at summer camp some time :)

Bronson

Disciples
09-06-2004, 01:07 PM
theres a camp? an Aikido camp? woah...

Bronson
09-08-2004, 11:30 PM
theres a camp? an Aikido camp? woah...

Hey Chris,

Check your private messages.

Bronson