PDA

View Full Version : Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

xuzen
06-25-2004, 01:44 AM
Dear friends,

Has anybody watch the 'Go Warrior' program on Discovery Channel yet? I read somewhere it was shot somewhere in end of Year 2003, and it featured among other martial art, Yoshinkan Style aikido. In Malaysia, it will be feature on our celestial based channel Astro Discovery Channel, on July 21 at 10.00 pm local time.

Any comment on that show, if you have watch it already.

Thanks,
:D
Boon

Ron Tisdale
06-25-2004, 10:43 AM
http://www.discoverytravelandadventure.co.uk/_listings/highlight1.shtml

RT

batemanb
07-05-2004, 07:09 AM
http://www.discoverytravelandadventure.co.uk/_listings/highlight1.shtml

RT

In case like me you didn't spot it, Ron's link is for the UK channel schedule. There was me automatically thinking it was for the US, consequently I spent the last 15 minutes looking for the UK version :rolleyes: ! Not sure if this schedule is the same globally though?

rgds

Bryan

Ron Tisdale
07-06-2004, 09:14 AM
OOppps.....

Sorry to cost you that extra time!

Ron (embarrased...)

batemanb
07-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Nay worries Ron, if I 'd paid attention to the link in the first place. I'll have a look at it on Friday and let you folks know, appears to be in a similar vein to the recent series on National Geographic, the first one is about Jiu Jitsu.

rgds

Bryan

Strepto
07-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Nay worries Ron, if I 'd paid attention to the link in the first place. I'll have a look at it on Friday and let you folks know, appears to be in a similar vein to the recent series on National Geographic, the first one is about Jiu Jitsu.

rgds

Bryan

Do you know what the series is called on National Geographic? Is it in north america?

batemanb
07-07-2004, 02:12 AM
It was called "Deadly Arts", there are other threads on it here

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5349&highlight=national+geographic

and here

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=national+geographic

As for re-runs in the US, I'm afraid have no idea.

rgds

Bryan

batemanb
07-13-2004, 02:09 AM
I watched this on Friday, it was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I missed the first couple of minutes, so didn't get a bio on the guy presenting, I have no idea what his martial arts background is, if any?

Friday's episode was set in Brazil mixing with the Gracie's. It was excellent to see Helio Gracie still rolling around the mat at 91 years old, very impressive.

rgds

Bryan

David Yap
07-13-2004, 05:37 AM
I watched this on Friday, it was quite interesting. Unfortunately, I missed the first couple of minutes, so didn't get a bio on the guy presenting, I have no idea what his martial arts background is, if any?

Friday's episode was set in Brazil mixing with the Gracie's. It was excellent to see Helio Gracie still rolling around the mat at 91 years old, very impressive.

rgds

Bryan

Bryan,

The presenter of the "Go Warrior" program is Roland Osbourne. I'm also interested in his MA background. Some weeks ago, the crew was in Malaysia and they got the BJJ, TKD, Aikido, Silat people do a demo to launch the show in Malaysia. Despite the program covering a lot of Yoshinkan style of aikido, the presenter was very opinionated that aikido is a fake martial art in his discussion with the local aikido people. I would like to know his definition of a fake MA.

Regards

David Y

batemanb
07-13-2004, 07:46 AM
Bryan,

The presenter of the "Go Warrior" program is Roland Osbourne. I'm also interested in his MA background. Some weeks ago, the crew was in Malaysia and they got the BJJ, TKD, Aikido, Silat people do a demo to launch the show in Malaysia. Despite the program covering a lot of Yoshinkan style of aikido, the presenter was very opinionated that aikido is a fake martial art in his discussion with the local aikido people. I would like to know his definition of a fake MA.

Regards

David Y

I've done a bit of googling, he's apparently top drawer! Started Karate at 11 and was teaching his own classes by 13.

http://cabletv.starhub.com/eng/feature/0,1164,497,00.html

http://star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2004/6/27/tvnradio/8233950&sec=tvnradio

Even better, sorry to sound cynical but

http://www.reddragonkaratecovina.com/aboutus.htm

Sensei Roland Osborne is proficient in: Karate, Judo, Aikido, Self Defense, Sport Karate, Kobudo (weaponry)
Specializing in: Tournament competition training, personal development and life skills, special weapon forms and open forms choreography, plyometrics for martial arts and Creating Champions For The Game Of Life

Although it neglects to mention when, where or how long he studied the art

Found this on e-budo in the Bad Budo section

"For those who are paid instructors with Casamassa's Red Dragon studios, their paycheck is based on how much they sell, not on how well they teach.

"Our instructors must be business people," says Lou Casamassa of Los Angeles, California. "No sale, no pay. Also, the more they sell the higher commission they receive. Commission levels begin
at fifteen percent. Once they reach the thirty five percent level, it's time for them to leave and open a studio of their own." We at Red Dragon either turnkey their operation or they open it with their own investment."

I couldn't find much on e-budo, but anyone who calls themselves Shihan Sensei is a prime candidate.

http://akkfmember.com/FOUNDER.HTM

I could probably have constructed this post better, but was pasting in info as I found it.

Hey ho!

I think I'll carry on watching the program to see what he says, specifically about Aikido, but will take his comments with a pinch of salt. It's a shame that many of the populace that watch this may not be so informed about our hero.

rgds

Bryan

KamiKaze_Evolution
07-18-2004, 04:17 AM
That's wrong date and time but correct channel! 10pm, 21st July in Discovery Channel (by Malaysia listing of cable tv) will be TKD not Aikido, then the next is Russian Systema. :p

The correct date and time of Aikido is 22nd July 10.30 pm, it will be half hour later of BJJ. That's excatly Discovery Channel! :D

check it out (http://www.astro.com.my)

KamiKaze_Evolution
07-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Ah Boon,

Farid informs me that Thomas Makiyama will appears in Tonight, Thomas Makiyama is the founder of Keijutsukai and Keijutsukai is a branch of Yoshinkan style. Anything, there's belongs to Aikikai style.

Aristeia
07-22-2004, 12:11 AM

Actually this is a different series. Instead of an hour per art with Jossette this 30 mins per art with Roland, who looks to be a skater dude with a TKD Dan if I had to guess. Wait a sec, oh karate apparently. I've only seen the Systema and TKD episodes, they're actually not too bad as an introduction. Looking forward to the BJJ one - should be a good 30 min primer for those who want to know what it's all about....

Ian Williams
07-22-2004, 05:01 AM
saw the systema and TKD last night.. hyperactive in the annoyingly american jazzy style (apologies to our buddies across the bigpond! I know that must sound hypocritical with "our" Steve Irwin) but when he shuts up with the woahs and likes and narly stuff, the content isn't too bad - good to see some time given to Systema and good to see someone who's too young to remember the cold war giving the "damn ruskies" some respect.

I think it's a direct rip off of the much better (IMO) dead arts program with Joesette

xuzen
07-23-2004, 02:24 AM
Dear all,

I watched the BJJ and Aikido segment yesterday. He was plastered after a work out with the Yoshinkan senshusei lads. I too am usually out of breath after a good round of jiyu waza, well it is good to know that someone so young and fit like Roland (the host) gets all out of breath after training - Yoshinkan style. It is comfortable thoughts to know that despite being an average joe with a regular job (a non athlete) , I still can go jiyu waza - yoshinkan style. Whew! pant pant pant.

Boon.

batemanb
07-23-2004, 03:12 AM
Dear all,

I watched the BJJ and Aikido segment yesterday..

Is this programme shown different elsewhere?

The first episode I saw was all BJJ, the second was TKD, but he only seems to focus on one art per episode. I'm not sure what tonights program content is here?

KamiKaze_Evolution
07-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Is this programme shown different elsewhere?

The first episode I saw was all BJJ, the second was TKD, but he only seems to focus on one art per episode. I'm not sure what tonights program content is here?

Why don't you gotta check local listing? :p

KamiKaze_Evolution
07-23-2004, 06:37 AM
saw the systema and TKD last night.. hyperactive in the annoyingly american jazzy style (apologies to our buddies across the bigpond! I know that must sound hypocritical with "our" Steve Irwin) but when he shuts up with the woahs and likes and narly stuff, the content isn't too bad - good to see some time given to Systema and good to see someone who's too young to remember the cold war giving the "damn ruskies" some respect.

I think it's a direct rip off of the much better (IMO) dead arts program with Joesette

Aikido by Roland in Discovery is better than Jossete's NGC, i fall in love of Yoshinkan action shots while i'm an Aikikai member. I don't belief that Yoshinkan is gentle! :eek:

batemanb
07-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Why don't you gotta check local listing? :p

You missed the point Anthony, the previous quote seemed to imply that one episode covered more than one art, whilst here in the UK it appears that one episode covers one art. That's what I was questioning, I wasn't asking what tonights content is.

rgds

Bryan

frivolouspig
07-23-2004, 10:38 AM

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5349&highlight=national+geographic

and here

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=national+geographic

As for re-runs in the US, I'm afraid have no idea.

rgds

Bryan

I have a copy of the show on Aikido saved to my computer, I'd be happy to share it however at 862 MB (1hr at near tv quality) its a little big. I'll upload to an ftp server if someone has the space and bandwidth to host the file for others to download.

batemanb
07-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Saw the Systema one tonight, I thought it was very interesting, but I thought that after I saw the videos on the Sytema web site. I don`t think that these programs even attempt to scratch the surface, he seems to spend about a week training and then fit all that in to 30 minutes along with a bit of tourism, doesn`t leave room for much!

Darren_Friend
07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
The go warrior series went to air in Australia and Asia week. I believe it also was shown in the UK. For details on the series visit

www.go-warrior.com

I was the Aikido Coordinator for the show, you can see some behind the scenes shots on our website

www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com

Its not an in depth documentary, but rather introduces each of the arts and gives some background on their history, culture and the personalities training. Hopefully it will inspire more people to train aikido, especially Yoshinkan Aikido :D

Ian Williams
07-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Its not an in depth documentary

indeed...

xuzen
07-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Should anyone watched the BJJ segments, tell me, with a body-physique like Royler Gracie (insert wolf-whistle here, tq), isn't it good enough reason alone to train in BJJ. Additionally with the beach and those hot hot Rio chicks (pls, I am not being chauvinistic, more like awe inspired) in abundance, it is just too much to concentrate on the host and what he was talking about. Maybe the show ratings would go even higher if there were more visuals of hot Rio chicks :p . This makes me wanna pack my bags and have along stay in Rio.

Boon.

batemanb
07-27-2004, 01:59 AM
It certainly hasn't been an indepth series, although it has been interesting. Roland has been an able presenter, even if his background does read like something offf of e-budo's bad budo forums. This Friday is the 4th (and final?) episode here in the UK, and since we haven't seen it yet, I'm assuming it's the Aikido one:).

rgds

Bryan

Darren_Friend
07-28-2004, 05:24 AM

Regards

David Y

Really. Well I spent a week with Roland while filming the Aikido Go Warrior segment. he's a nice guy, but I don't think he knows much about budo . He is basically good at kicking and looking like an action star, but has little real power in his movements. I am disappointed that he feels that way and more disappointed that we treated him with kid gloves for the week. Roland should know about fake MA though, he has a 4th dan in "American Martial arts", lists himself as an aikido expert on his website, unfortunately I didn't see the site till after the shoot was finished.

He is however successful in MA as a business, has many students and gave me many tips on how to sell MA, package dojo courses with lots of trimmings, recruit your own students to boaster sales and all sorts of other neat tips on making a buck out of your art.

Roland if you are out there, come back and train with us again, please. evileyes

Darren

KamiKaze_Evolution
07-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Really. Well I spent a week with Roland while filming the Aikido Go Warrior segment. he's a nice guy, but I don't think he knows much about budo . He is basically good at kicking and looking like an action star, but has little real power in his movements. I am disappointed that he feels that way and more disappointed that we treated him with kid gloves for the week. Roland should know about fake MA though, he has a 4th dan in "American Martial arts", lists himself as an aikido expert on his website, unfortunately I didn't see the site till after the shoot was finished.

He is however successful in MA as a business, has many students and gave me many tips on how to sell MA, package dojo courses with lots of trimmings, recruit your own students to boaster sales and all sorts of other neat tips on making a buck out of your art.

Roland if you are out there, come back and train with us again, please. evileyes

Darren

Roland can't escape at the end of all! evileyes

Steven
07-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Ah Boon,

Farid informs me that Thomas Makiyama will appears in Tonight, Thomas Makiyama is the founder of Keijutsukai and Keijutsukai is a branch of Yoshinkan style. Anything, there's belongs to Aikikai style.

Keijutsukai is not a branch of Yoshinkan. It is a completely independent organization. The IYAF is the only branch of Yoshinkan.

Steven
07-28-2004, 08:45 AM
The go warrior series went to air in Australia and Asia week. I believe it also was shown in the UK. For details on the series visit

www.go-warrior.com

I was the Aikido Coordinator for the show, you can see some behind the scenes shots on our website

www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com

Its not an in depth documentary, but rather introduces each of the arts and gives some background on their history, culture and the personalities training. Hopefully it will inspire more people to train aikido, especially Yoshinkan Aikido :D

Hi Darren - good to see you online. Please send my regards to the honbu gang. Nice website. What does NSW mean?

Steven
07-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Hi Darren - good to see you online. Please send my regards to the honbu gang. Nice website. What does NSW mean?

Never mind ... New South Whales ... DOH. I'll add this site to my dojo list if you don't mind.

Darren_Friend
07-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Never mind ... New South Whales ... DOH. I'll add this site to my dojo list if you don't mind.

Hi Steven, Thank you and please do, but note that although there are lots of whale sitings along the coast the state is New South Wales :D

Ian Williams
07-28-2004, 06:03 PM
thar she blows!!! aaaahhh me hearties :)

Steven
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi Steven, Thank you and please do, but note that although there are lots of whale sitings along the coast the state is New South Wales :D

DOH! :D

xuzen
07-28-2004, 09:20 PM

Regards

David Y

Poor Roland, being criticized in this forum where he doesn't even have a chance to tell his side of story. Anyway he looks like a nice boy, those sort you would love to bring home to meet the parents type.

Boon.

Jeff Stallard
07-29-2004, 08:37 AM
I have a copy of the show on Aikido saved to my computer, I'd be happy to share it however at 862 MB (1hr at near tv quality) its a little big. I'll upload to an ftp server if someone has the space and bandwidth to host the file for others to download.

If anyone volunteers to host this file, I'd love to grab it. Tell you what...let me look into the cost of an FTP server and see if it's something I can do.

frivolouspig
07-29-2004, 09:42 AM
If anyone volunteers to host this file, I'd love to grab it. Tell you what...let me look into the cost of an FTP server and see if it's something I can do.

I converted it to DIVX now its under 400 MB hopefully that will help. (if someone has an old computer that they can leave on 24hrs a day and a high speed connection + a little experience with bittorrent (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/) you could host the file that way (check with your ISP to make sure they don't charge extra if you upload too much if you plan to do this)

BTW the episode I have is this one (http://www.historytelevision.ca/deadlyarts/aikido.htm) (http://www.historytelevision.ca/deadlyarts/aikido.htm)

DanielR
07-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Any way of sharing that via eDonkey or somesuch? If enough people get it (or pieces of it) and share it at least from time to time...

frivolouspig
07-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Any way of sharing that via eDonkey or somesuch? If enough people get it (or pieces of it) and share it at least from time to time...

If anything Iíll bit torrent it (but the problem being I can only run it from 7am till 4 or 5 pm and as soon an my computer goes offline then the source is lost (and people in different time zones wont be able to get it)

I'll think about it, but I would still rather get it on a computer/server that can run 24/7

akiy
07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi folks,

If I could just jump in and ask people to please stop discussing the active sharing of copyrighted material on this site... Although I'm all for the exchange of information and such, I still do subscribe to the notion of materials being under copyright. Thank you.

-- Jun

DanielR
07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Apologies, Jun, you're absolutely right.

frivolouspig
07-29-2004, 02:03 PM
I contacted them to see if they would mind, for now the sent me this:

Thank you for contacting History Television.

Many of the programs seen on History Television are available on home video by
visiting our boutique at http://www.viewerplus.com/Splash.asp?Stat=History or
by calling Viewer Plus at 1-877-843-9371.

Please note that at this time, episodes from the Turning Points of History
series are unavailable for purchase.

For the programs listed below, please feel free to directly contact the specific
production companies/distributors:

* Deadly Arts
Please send your video request to swhiteley@creativeanarchy.com

feel free to bug swhiteley to let us share (as I'm about to do) :D

also note: In Canada it's completely legal to make a copy of pretty much anything provided it's for personal use and not for profit. (as I understand it anyhow) :cool:

akiy
07-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi Ryan,

Please understand that there is a world of difference between keeping a personal backup and distributing said material on the Internet.

Once again, please do not use these Forums as a medium in which to exchange copyrighted material. Thank you.

-- Jun

frivolouspig
07-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi Ryan,

Please understand that there is a world of difference between keeping a personal backup and distributing said material on the Internet.

Once again, please do not use these Forums as a medium in which to exchange copyrighted material. Thank you.

-- Jun

Even if we have permission from the copyright holders? Which I'm trying to get. I mean if they say no, then fine, but if they say ok why not?

Jeff Stallard
07-30-2004, 10:23 AM
There certainly is an argument to make for fair use (see US copyright law for details about fair use of copyrighted material). How strong that argument is...well that's up to you to determine. There are four points that judges look at when determining whether an infringement was fair use.

1. The purpose and character of your use. What is the intent of your use? In our case, it's purely educational, which is about as good a purpose as you can get.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work. Factual works lend themselves more to fair use, as does published material. Copying fictional works that have not yet been published are the hardest to justify.

3. The amount and substantiality of the portion taken. Copying the whole show looks bad for us. Generally speaking, the smaller you copy, the better your case for fair use.

4. The effect of the use upon the market. The effect on the market is zero since they're not selling the video. However, seeing as they COULD sell it at some point, this doesn't go too well in our favor.

frivolouspig
07-30-2004, 12:52 PM
There certainly is an argument to make for fair use (see US copyright law for details about fair use of copyrighted material). How strong that argument is...well that's up to you to determine. There are four points that judges look at when determining whether an infringement was fair use.

1. The purpose and character of your use. What is the intent of your use? In our case, it's purely educational, which is about as good a purpose as you can get.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work. Factual works lend themselves more to fair use, as does published material. Copying fictional works that have not yet been published are the hardest to justify.

3. The amount and substantiality of the portion taken. Copying the whole show looks bad for us. Generally speaking, the smaller you copy, the better your case for fair use.

4. The effect of the use upon the market. The effect on the market is zero since they're not selling the video. However, seeing as they COULD sell it at some point, this doesn't go too well in our favor.

Very true, I'm still waiting for a response from them (the copyright holders). Hopefully it will be positive.

batemanb
07-31-2004, 02:40 AM
I watched the Aikido episode last night, it was quite good actually. I wondered why, when they were talking about Aikido that they went to the Yoshinkan first? That`s just my curiosity though not an Aikikai vs Yoshinkan bias :), I just thought that starting at the top of the tree and working down was more logical than starting at a branch and working back? It was good to see Inoue Sensei in action, and the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo mat space is HUGE!!!!!

The snippet on the Senshusei course was scary, even when I was young I don`t think I`d have been fit enough to walk through the door :(

Darren looks like a reasonably capable practicioner ;), as does his wife :D. I enjoyed the program last night, and over all I have enjoyed the series.

rgds

Bryan

xuzen
07-31-2004, 04:21 AM
[QUOTE=Bryan Bateman]I watched the Aikido episode last night, it was quite good actually. I wondered why, when they were talking about Aikido that they went to the Yoshinkan first? That`s just my curiosity though not an Aikikai vs Yoshinkan bias :), I just thought that starting at the top of the tree and working down was more logical than starting at a branch and working back? It was good to see Inoue Sensei in action, and the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo mat space is HUGE!!!!!

It is refreshing to see some public viewing time dedicated to Yoshinkan style, most aikido documentaries concentrate on the Hombu style.

[QUOTE=Bryan Bateman]The snippet on the Senshusei course was scary, even when I was young I don`t think I`d have been fit enough to walk through the door :(

There, evidence that aikidoka are no pushover (in terms of training anyway)! They don't brand aikido dojo as hell dojo in the early days for no reason.

[QUOTE=Bryan Bateman]Darren looks like a reasonably capable practicioner ;), as does his wife :D. I enjoyed the program last night, and over all I have enjoyed the series.

Who is Darren's wife?

Regards,
Boon.

formerjarhead
07-31-2004, 09:18 AM
I was surprised that they went with Yoshinkan first but I'll bet it was due to the Tokyo Riot police learning this style. Just a thought

batemanb
07-31-2004, 03:34 PM
[Who is Darren's wife?

If I`ve read this page correctly:

http://www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com/contents/aboutdojo/instructors?language=english

and got the faces right, the lady that does shihonage on Roland is Darren`s wife.

If I have made a mistake there, I apologise profusely.

rgds

BryAN

frivolouspig
08-05-2004, 04:07 PM
I finally got a reply on the email I sent asking for permission to give away a copy to Aikido students.

I have forwarded your email to the executive producer as he makes these decisions.
- Sandra

It's not much, but at least it shows my request is being considered. I'll keep you guys updated. Cross your fingers ;)

Darren_Friend
08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
If I`ve read this page correctly:

http://www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com/contents/aboutdojo/instructors?language=english

and got the faces right, the lady that does shihonage on Roland is Darren`s wife.

If I have made a mistake there, I apologise profusely.

rgds

BryAN

The lady that does shihonage on Roland is my wife, Peggy Woo. She is an Instructor at Yoshinkan honbu, currently on maternity leave. :D

batemanb
08-06-2004, 01:49 AM
The lady that does shihonage on Roland is my wife, Peggy Woo. She is an Instructor at Yoshinkan honbu, currently on maternity leave. :D

Congratulations Darren.

Ron Tisdale
08-06-2004, 10:16 AM
And best wishes for the little one and Mom!

Ron

Steven
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM

So Darren - I once heard that the way you keep your wife from getting better and/or getting higher rank is to get them pregnant. Somthing you want to tell us? :D

HA! Just kidding of course. Congratulations and best of health to Peggy and baby. Catch up on all the sleep you can now dude, because it'll soon be all gone. :D