PDA

View Full Version : dojo on Maui or Kauai?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

epw
06-21-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm going to be in Hawaii next week on vacation and wondered if anyone knows of a dojo on Maui or Kauai?

MaryKaye
06-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Maui Ki Society has two dojo on Maui, one near the airport and one in the uplands. When I was on Maui they made me very welcome and the classes were *great*. They charged about $5 for an entire week's guest priviledges, too. Unless you are allergic to Ki Society style, I'd highly recommend them. (They don't discriminate: the other guest, the week I was there, was from Aikikai.) They were one of the highlights of my trip to Maui, and that's saying a lot.

As a Ki Society fifth kyu I found the beginners' classes fun and informative, and the open classes fun, informative, and somewhat terrifying--I've never seen so many yudansha in one place before, and particularly I've never been among yudansha trying to do something *they* found hard before! But everyone was very patient with me.

Mary Kaye

kironin
06-21-2004, 03:51 PM
What Mary said.

also you will be visiting an Aikido dojo that has celebrated their 50th anniversary at the same location.

Their are lots of interesting historical pictures on the walls, last time I was there for the grand opening of their new building. The one that replaced the old building that O'Sensei visited in 1961.

They have some creative new flash stuff on their website.
http://hawaiikiaikido.org/

Craig